Masters Running

TGIF Oct 3rd Daily (Read 581 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

It looks like we have two Tims in Indiana! Welcome to AA717driver - congrats on signing up for your first half! And Timbo, if it was on the chilly side, I would NOT have run topless. Angry I only do that when it's above 75 degrees. Roy, cracking fast "ego" run this morning! I also noticed your pace was really 9:11. Dave, cute pics of Annabelle! I'm working at home today, so I can run with the dogs and enjoy our beautiful fall colors. May have to take a camera along today...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Top 'O the World!

..... I tried a new trail called the Highline Canal trail, that goes through Cherry Hills Village, full of huge McMansions. I know Mtnchk runs there sometimes. These places are really huge, pretentious, and appalling. But the trail was pretty, and offered some nice shade.
      ....but really flat! ...you must've been up near Colo Ave! Capital Hill area was a bit "Fall delightful" last night (Irish Snug Runners on Thurs eve's)....leaves, cooler weather, wood smoke & Halloween decorations......Mairead had a good time too Wink Enjoy your run today! Definitely camera "weather" up there these days Wink
      Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
        Very nice run, Roy! Tim - good job on setting up your long run. Speaking of long run, today's run was the last to set up a long run on Sunday in Portland. We ran about 3 miles easy in Sunnyvale -- on a visit to see my adorable grand-niece. Well, time to eat. Just saying "hi" from the Left Coast.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Peter – you certainly had a close call this morning. I’ve found that in an altercation with a bus, the bus usually wins. Big grin ....I also noticed on my run this morning that in the early morning darkness, some drivers don’t bother to stop at stop signs. Or even slow down much. Roch – I love that kind of run. Smile AA717 – welcome! You were here a while back, weren’t you? Dave59 – I, for one, never get tired of shameless grandbaby pictures. Today’s workout: 3.55 miles outside, followed by this on the treadmill: 5 minute slow-to-fast segments (6.0, 6.2, 6.5, 6.9, 7.2 mph) x 4 1 minute fast/1 minute recovery (8.0/6.2 mph) x 5 With 1 minute CD made it 7 miles total. The 8.0 mph (7:30) segments were tough, tough. Definitely have to work on this. This morning as we were pulling out of the garage to head to the school bus stop, the bus went by (5 minutes early), so we chased it frantically and caught it on the next block, only to find DD had forgotten her backpack, so I had to go home, retrieve the backpack, and drive it to her school, which I couldn’t find because they have it tucked back in a winding residential area and I’ve only been there twice. (sigh) So I was late for work. (again) Roll eyes

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

DickyG

The current politcal campaign is really getting annoying...the democrats are blaming our lousy economy on the "Bush Administration" and, of course, the republicans are blaming it all on the "democratic controlled congress" In reality, I must confess that the whole thing is really my fault. You see, I lost money on the last super bowl game. In order to pay off my bookie, I refinanced my home with a sub-prime mortgage....and the rest is history. Roy: Wow...you just killed those last 2 miles. Tramps:
            I think I learned “if it ain’t broke (too bad), don’t fix it;” I’m back to my old shoes.
            I concur 100%...the problem I (and I'm sure others) have is that every time I find shoes that I really like, they're discontinued 5 minutes later. And I'm in the market again. Also...the joke rule on debates is a great idea. In fact, I did the same thing on the Beach Boys list. Some time ago, a few of us long-time posters on that list imposed a "mandatory fun rule"...all list members must post at least one FUNNY joke/month. Roch:
            Ran the full Oakland U golf course this morning, starting at 38F (but still in shorts!) under clear, dark skies with Orion riding high in the east. 5 hilly miles at just under a 10-minute pace. This was my first (and maybe last) full circuit of this venue for the year.
            That's a great run..I've tried to run our golf course before and usually poop out after 9 holes...much too hilly for me. Dave59: What a great pic! Ran 4.2 miles today on a very hilly course...37:11 (8:52)...that's pretty good for me. Probably won't run tomorrow...we have a double-header...hopefully our last game(s) of the season. DickyG
              Holly, congrats to your daughter on her 3 soccer goals and for being a fast runner. roch, good luck in the Brooksie Way and nice run this morning. dtoce, congrats to your son on his PB at the XC meet. DH, I'm sorry to hear DC got a side stitch in his meet after starting so well. I hope it doesn't discourage him. Dave, nice granddaughter picture. AA717, nice to have a post from you. Like Holly, I recall you posting before. Nice long runs for Peter, perch, bike (and fast, too), and Peter (another and with a school bus encounter). Good job on the speedwork for Tammy, walt, dtoce, and Holly. Last night (6 pm), I did a 5K and will get to a report later. This morning, it was in the mid 30s with just a light wind. I went out for 5 miles and it was hard. I blamed the race but at about 2 miles, I checked my Garmin and saw I was at a 9:09 pace, quite a bit faster than my normal training runs. I tried to hang in there and finished in about 46 minutes for a 9:10 pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
              TammyinGP

A mid-week, evening 5K, Tom? Don't usually hear of those. Anxious to read your report. I'm sure you did well! TimBo - I was totally impressed with your 13.1 mile the other day. Dang - you are smokin' fast! What an adorable baby pic!!!! love it! Just what I needed to see this morning to bring a smile to my face. Thanks for sharing. Yesterday was my rest day and I'll do a run on the TM at lunchtime today. Probably 3.5 to 4 miles. This weekend I have a planned long run of about 10 miles and it's looking like it will probably be in the misty rain . . . just the way I like it. . . or at least that's what I'm telling myself . . . Confused

Tammy

Maniac 505

easy 5 the first three with my orthotics, first run with them and the jury is still out? off on the bike now.
                    Wow - it's almost afternoon already. Late post of a six-miler this morning, 9:41 pace. I took off at 6:00 AM, not properly dressed (shorts and long-sleeved tee). I felt cold, and when I ran by a bank sign that said 36F, I knew why! I cut the last two miles off and came home because I couldn't feel my hands any more. WAAAYYYY too early in the season for it to be this cold. You wouldn't be running topless up here this morning, WildChild Big grin Wow, Peter. Glad you're OK. Your confrontation with the bus could have been so much worse. I thought school bus drivers were supposed to be on top of what's going on around them. I know it was dark, but could you get a bus #? I'd sure call the company and register a complaint. Dave - great picture of Annabelle. Grandfathers have every right to boast! Post pictures more often. PDR and WRFB - good luck this weekend! Caught the debate last night. I think both candidates held their own. Palin could have been a little more specific in a lot of her answers, Biden was, well - Biden. I have to give the win in the closing remarks category to Biden, though. Teresa - that game sounds like a riot. I'll bet it made the debate a lot more interesting. We've got a house full of company coming in this afternoon for the football game on Sunday. I just spent 4 days cleaning, changing bed linen, etc. I guess I'll be spending 4 days after everyone leaves doing it all over again... Jeanne
                    Dave59

The current politcal campaign is really getting annoying...the democrats are blaming our lousy economy on the "Bush Administration" and, of course, the republicans are blaming it all on the "democratic controlled congress"
                      The news here in Michigan is that McCain has thrown in the towel and is pulling out. This way he can move his resources to states that are more competitive. I am hoping that means Obama will scale back his spending here and that will result in fewer phone calls and less political commercials on TV! ......Just as I was typing I got another Obama call........ Roll eyes I can't imagine anyone making up their mind on who to vote for based on a phone call with a recorded voice. Confused

evanflein

Teresa, that game sounds like a wonderful idea. I can imagine what was on the Palin card: "you betcha" and "God bless'em" and "doggone it" Oh.My.God... I wanted to smack her every time she said that. It's so embarrassing. We really don't talk like a bunch of hicks up here, ok? Just want to make that clear... Hey Tim, I have a deal for you... I'll use up all the carpy weather for awhile up here, so your race will be good, ok? Not sure I can hold enough for Bob's weather... but I'll see what I can do. Roll eyes Brushed 3" of snow off my car this morning, and it's snowing now... could see 2-4" by end of the day. I think even if it wasn't a rest day, I'd find something else to do.

Top 'O the World!

I have stopped answering calls from "unknown" sources..& shut off the derned TV! Roll eyes CO being a 'swing' state....gives me more excuses to walk the dog, run, bake.... Big grin
                          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hey Tim, I have a deal for you... I'll use up all the carpy weather for awhile up here, so your race will be good, ok? Not sure I can hold enough for Bob's weather... but I'll see what I can do. Roll eyes Brushed 3" of snow off my car this morning, and it's snowing now... could see 2-4" by end of the day. I think even if it wasn't a rest day, I'd find something else to do.
                            Erika, I am always amazed at how you train for Marathons with the long - cold- snowy, winters you have there...but realize you run on your Dreadmill too whens it's really bad out...but still Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Teresa, that game sounds like a wonderful idea. I can imagine what was on the Palin card: "you betcha" and "God bless'em" and "doggone it" Oh.My.God... I wanted to smack her every time she said that. It's so embarrassing. We really don't talk like a bunch of hicks up here, ok? Just want to make that clear... Hey Tim, I have a deal for you... I'll use up all the carpy weather for awhile up here, so your race will be good, ok? Not sure I can hold enough for Bob's weather... but I'll see what I can do. Roll eyes Brushed 3" of snow off my car this morning, and it's snowing now... could see 2-4" by end of the day. I think even if it wasn't a rest day, I'd find something else to do.
                              Hee hee, the word I got tired of was "oversight." It had to be the most used word of the evening. Like we have a chance of getting that, anyway! Ooh, I'm in a cynical mood right now. Better go run. Erika, my deal for YOU is that I won't judge Alaskans by the way Palin talks if you won't judge Texans by the way Bush does! Big grin No snow in Maine yet - I'm ready for some!
                                Erika....I cringe too (as a defender of my gender) when I think about all the other well-spoken intelligent women that could be up there on the poTium....but no...got to listen to "doggone it!". I was expecting it to be more entertaining, but it was just boring... Anyone notice Biden said "Number one is...blah blah blah....Number 2 is.....blah blah blah" about 5 times!! 4 recovery paced (11:20) miles today...resting up. Did 3 striders. 63F and must have been 100% humidity. Just too hot. Still no peeps from the foot. Almost a week now. Smile I had that really sproinky run about two weeks ago....kept trying to figure out how it happened. Then I remembered that it was dinner time on a Sunday and tons of people were out walking. Every 100 to 200 meters I would come upon some walkers and think "can't look like a slug" and speed up as I passed them. I really believe that was a huge factor in my overall pace that day. Cracker run Roy. Good Luck to Portland (Ore) runners!!! I wish I could be there for the big event. I hope PDR doesn't stay so nervous....she is going to do great!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."