Masters Running

Jan. 22 Chilly Runs (Read 607 times)

Tramps

Byll—40’s… “chilly weather gear” Confused CNY—great to hear healing is proceeding Mary—hope you feel better. Ilene—ouch! Hope it’s nothing serious EGH3—I grew up in New England as a big Bruins fan….Orr, Espo, Cheevers, era. I like your avatar; they sure are doing well this year again. 12.1 miles @ 7:51; uneven pace due to big hills. Nice ice beard and--as a bonus--some icy hair too.

Be safe. Be kind.

#artbydmcbride

Ilene! You're not supposed to dive into first base! (any other base is ok)
      Really? I wondered about that. I was going to say home plate, but I was only 1.5 miles into my run and still had 5 miles to go. Smile

Runners run

Renee the dog

Supposed to be a rest day -- it's almost spring outside though, so going to squeeze in a run somehow today. Off to the library with the kids... Waiting to see if my husband is one of 1400 being laid off today. Odds are no. More later. Good runs and rests to all!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

lamerunner

Good morning. Balmy 21 here. I actually ran this morning! My DD had to go to school later than normal because of mid-terms so I could make a mid-week attempt while it was light. We have a ton of snow and the sidewalks are not clear. I survived 6.5 miles with only mild sciatic pain. My legs were a bit sore though from yesterday's 14 miles on the elliptical! So although running has been nearly non-existent lately, there may be hope. I have to wait a few more weeks for the steroid shots. I must confess that if the first one works, I am toying with the idea of entering Boston and running it just for fun. Is that completely stupid?? I have only been running once a week for the last few weeks, after 7-8 weeks off. Lots and lots of time on the elliptical though... Almost Friday!

Marathon Maniac #3309

I'll get to see Holly really soon and that's a bright spot. No more pain in IT band and the bursitis is subsiding in my hip. All good.
            SmileSmileSmile On both accounts...seeing Holly, and no pain or getting close. Nice to have you back Karin Cool Hi Lame, sounds like you are headed in a more positive direction...and running a little bit Smile TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Prince of Fatness

One of the keys is that you have to use the key pad to the right with "Num Lock" on and not the numbers above the letters.
              If you have a laptop you won't have a number pad you can use, but there should be a function key that you can use. I have a blue Fn key on my laptop. When held down, any other keys that have blue symbols on them can be used. So here is what I get when I hold down Alt, Fn, and type the blue numbers 0176: °

Not at it at all. 

dg.

good morning! Tim, smart plan. Mary I hope your'e not getting sick. Karin, glad you're getting better! Lamerunner, nice you're able to run without too much pain. Ilene, ouch. you finished your run? hope you got some tlc. we're having a heat wave. 22° this morning. which didn't matter all that much since i ran at the gym again. 5.21 miles, 9:55 av. pace. miles.. 11, 9.37, 9.26, 9.32, 9.48. A dip run. Wink. then 2 sets lower body weight machines, stab. ball reverse crunches & side planks.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Tim – nicely progressing. Ilene – ouch! Of course, the first thing I thought of was, “Oh no, holes in the knees of your $65 running pants!” Then I realized that, out there, you probably don’t even OWN a pair of long pants... Smile Karin – glad to hear the pain is subsiding, and I’m excited to be seeing you soon. Nono – keeping my fingers crossed for your DH. 9 miles for me today, with miles 2, 3, 4, and 5 aimed at BQ MP (8:47), although in actuality they were at 8:43, 8:41, 8:40, 8:36. At my current fitness level, this was a hard tempo workout – by the 3rd mile I could feel sweat just rolling down my face, in spite of the light wind and 20° temp. Guess I need to start doing this more regularly, if I hope to ever keep it up for 26 miles. Took DS to the orthodontist this morning to talk about Phase II. Still reeling from the price tag (ball park was $5,000). I guess I know where this year’s tax return (and some of next year’s, too). Sad

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Ilene, sorry about the fall and slide. I hope there's no serious damage. Nice long runs mariposai (warm beach run), Tramps, and WRFB. Good job on the speedwork for WRFB, SLO, and Ilene. This morning the temp was 28° (I was going to say high 20s but had to try the ° symbol) with a light wind. The roads still have a lot of ice/packed snow but it seems to be getting better. At any rate, I wore my Yaks and got in 9 miles in a bit under 1:31 for a 10:05 pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
                      Ran 10 miles last night on the dreadmill...I learned a few things... 1) Drinking water/electrolytes is good 2) Not drinking water/electrolytes is bad 3) I am stupid!!! Ran the first seven with out a problem other than the sweat dripping onto the tread....the gym was unusually warm... I slowed down for the last three and nearly crawled the last 1/2 mile. here is where the stupid guy comes in...not thrity feet from where I'm running is a water fountain...did I go for it once during the run? Hell no...didn't want to break the groove. Not much of a groove though when your on your hands and knees. Needless to say I had that washed out tired feeling the rest of the evening and my legs are feeling a little punky today. I'm going for another lesson on the dreadmill toninght, but just an easy five... Hope everyone has a great run or rest! karl
                      Teresadfp

One day at a time

Let's see if I can get this to work - this morning it was -3°. Oh, cool! It worked. Thanks for the link, Maine - I saved it. Anyway, since it was so cold, I ran 3.3 miles on the indoor track at the Y. I was dying of boredom after that long, so I stopped. Maybe I will have to run shorter distances every day if I get stuck inside. Or wait until the afternoon when it's warmer! I was going to say have a good weekend, but I'm premature! Shocked Shoot, I thought it was Friday. Karin, good luck with your recovery!
                          Lots of good injury news on the daily today. Great to hear that Tim, Karin and Lame are all on the mend. I hope you all heal up speedily and get back out there running regularly. Lame, if you are going to enter Boston I guess you need to do it asap. Apparently, it is closing out fast. I see nothing wrong with running it for fun, especially if the shot helps enough that you are able to get in some solid 20 milers prior to the race. Nono, crossing my fingers that your dh is NOT laid off today! Ilene, sorry to hear about the fall. I hope it was nothing serious. I am usually more embarrassed than hurt when it happens to me. Tramps, nice pace on that 12 miler. Today's run was PBJ Special in 31° weather. I think I am going to make a separate color for PBJ Specials in my log as they don't seem to fit into any other category just yet. Hopefully in a few more months I can classify them as GA or even easy, but right now they are a bit harder than GA but not quite MP. Nevertheless, they are fun to run and I don't think I'm doing any major harm to myself during base building.

Once a runner . . .

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Holly--not sure if it would work for you, but both my kids went to the orthodontist. we were able to make a lump sum payment for both (not at the same time, fortunately) and got a double bonus. the ortho gave a small discount (5%, maybe) and it was a big enough medical expense to help meet the minimum to claim on taxes, so a little more money in the next years return. might be worth looking into. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mariposai

Great to hear that Karin is doing better. Have fun in Spain and Australia...do you need an interpreter in Spain Cool 2 recovery miles on the beach. I love your warm weather Miss Forward.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

CNYRunner so nice to see you posting and even better that you are healing. What TimBo forgot to mention in his post is that he advises you to run 10 miles to test things out now that you are feeling better. Tongue All I have to do now is wait for Bill to post so I can copy and paste his °, and Bill always runs earlier than I do. Problem solved. PS on my ibook it is alt 0