Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 9.13.17 (Read 30 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Tuesday’s workouts:
    Tramps (casual 21 morning bike miles with lallygagging and chatting)
    Stumpy (casual 3.1 round the lake miles in cool and dark)
    RunnerKSA (4.8, including 2.3 early morning birthday pre-meeting TM miles + 2.5 post-work TM miles)
    Henrun (2.7 race walking reservoir miles)
    Tomwhite (3 min X-bike + 40 min PoolRun with letters, plus walking during TV commercials)
    Twocat (14 slow, slow, slow weight-losing miles)

Evanflein (5.2 afternoon miles in cloudy & cool weather)

Spacityrunner (3.3 heavenly evening miles with spizzle)

I’m glad you had a non-event with Irene, Cat.

Nice ride, Tramps. How’d you come up with the 7:1 ratio (running/riding)?

Do I sense an PBJ/Deeze meet up at MCM?

Funny blizzard story, HopesMom. How’d you find out you have SA? I wonder if I do?

Dave, I’m glad the Tallahassee fam has their power back.

You sure get to do all the fun stuff, Stumpy.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KSA, and congrats on the new AG!

I’m glad the weather is looking good for you so far for Saturday, Evanflein.

Welcome back to the reservoir loop, Henrun. I’m glad the race walking is working for you.

Tomwhite, you walked through 2 hours of TV commercials? No wonder you couldn’t sleep!

I’m glad you have a light at the end of the tunnel, Fatozzig, and that it isn’t a freight train. Friday sounds like fun!

Sounds like a completely different Mt. Rainier, Tet. Glad you took the ‘easy’ loop.

Don’t lose enough weight to disappear on us, Twocat. I like the idea of run short and eat more ice cream.

Good job of embracing the rain rule violation, Spacityrunner.

Two of us from the conservation commission met with the school board last night to try to convince them to donate or protect (via a conservation easement) 38 acres of land that they might have used to build a new school, but now won't since they are doing a major rehab on the existing school. They don't want it developed (it is about 36% wetlands, so development would be limited under the best of circumstances), so they are considering our options. We'll hear more from them in Nov.

We have a mid-season Seacoast Series meeting this morning. In advance of it, one of the other RDs did an analysis of about 10 area races that have been run this year. Only 1 had higher numbers than last year (at 104%), 2 were in the 95% range, and the rest were around 70-80%. The proliferation of races and declining number of racers is certainly having an effect.

I slept better last night, so I was up early for 7.5 RW miles in 57° temps, and under a clear sky. I just bought some new Alta shoes, and started out in them this morning. But, after just a hundred yards or so, they didn't feel right. So I went back, switched to my Topo's and had a good workout. I may be returning the Altas - but I'll wear them around the house a little more to make sure. If that's the worst of my problems, I'm doing pretty dang well.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

When I woke up (to the sound of a cat puking at 5:30) I didn't want to work today and I didn't feel like running. But after wasting an hour I decided I'd go to the park and run for 30 minutes. I figured that would be better than nothing. Once there, I decided to do some intervals. There is a pond there with a gravel path that has the 10ths of a mile marked off.  So I did .2 hard, .2 easy 6 times after a warm-up.  (One of the intervals is actually .25)   Put in 3.2 miles altogether.

Now I have to see what to do about that lack of desire to work. Putting in 30 minutes and saying it's better than nothing isn't going to work.

We get the cat puking wake up call around here, too!

3.1 miles outside for the first time since Monday am.     Didn't want to get out there, but was glad that I did.  Now- the work day awaits....

2.1 miles on the treadmill after work.    5.2 for the day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Singer who runs a smidge

Funny blizzard story, HopesMom. How’d you find out you have SA? I wonder if I do?

Significant daytime sleepiness, like needing a nap several days per week, is a symptom.  Luckily for me it's just me and my tech in the lab, and we have an unspoken agreement that a 15 minute nap is better than working with chemicals while fuzzy-minded.  I have over an hour one-way commute, as well, and being sleepy during that is just not wise.  Plus I would have dreams about choking, or being underwater, or other scenarios where I couldn't breathe for some reason.  My subconscious was definitely sending the signals!!

Speaking of sleeping, Dusty was panting like crazy last night (he sleeps in a crate in our room) so DH had to go downstairs with him to sleep where it's cooler.  They wandered back upstairs around 2:45 AM, so when my alarm went off for our run/walk, I made an executive decision that we all needed more sleep.  So much for today!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

I guess I could actually finish answering the question, doh!  So, suspecting I had sleep apnea, I made an appointment with a doctor specializing in sleep issues.  I met up with him and he scheduled me for a home sleep test.  That involves a band around your chest, a band around your belly, something that looks kind of like a large paper clip at your nostrils, and an oxygen monitor clip on one finger, and you sleep that way for a night (yeah, right!)  Anyway, they take all that data and calculate how many times you have trouble breathing per night and how many times you stop breathing altogether.  Then, depending on the number, you have your diagnosis.  I was having 18 events per hour, they want to see 4 or fewer.  With the CPAP I'm having fewer than 1 event per hour, which is nice!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

catwhoorg

Labrat

6 miles at lunch.

Loving the slight cool down.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Marathon Maniac #957

HopesMom - Sleep Apnea I think is more prevalent than people realize.  My DH used to snore like crazy (causing ME to have sleep issues), but when his father recommended his testing, they found that DH was holding his breath so much during sleep that his blood barely had enough oxygen to keep his heart beating - a serious stroke risk.  Since he has worn a C-Pap (at least 10 years now), we are both much better rested.

Twocat - the last few days I have had a painful tongue issue, one of those stupid swollen tender taste bud things, that makes the whole tongue sore, and I have thought, "What a wuss I am, as Twocat is dealing with this on an exponential level!"

Hey, did you know that Erika and I are meeting up in a few weeks at yet another marathon - Steamtown Marathon, in Scranton, PA?  For an Alaska-dweller, Erika gets around, and I have to say, I truly enjoy our opportunities to meet in person, as she is a stellar individual, as is Peter, even though he does not respect my reverence for the pre-marathon nap...  How many marathon meetups is this for us, Erika?

15 yo DD scored a 43 at her golf team match tonight. I have to say that I have NEVER managed to get a 43, so kudos to her for kicking collective butt.

5.2 miles for me today in a gentle mist, not-quite-rain that felt quite nice.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Where is everyone? I did not run today but figured I would try to help get the numbers up here on RA. So . . . an hour on the elliptical.

I had a big eating breakthrough! I chopped a cooked turkey breast into tiny weeny pieces, mixed it with some guacamole and managed to eat it. The guacamole helped to make it easier to swallow. My first solid food since August 24. Who knows, maybe I will go crazy and have ground beef in tomato sauce or something. No bread though. My discharge instructions said no bread.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

spacityrunner

Doesn't sound like ice cream to me....

I had a big eating breakthrough! I chopped a cooked turkey breast into tiny weeny pieces, mixed it with some guacamole and managed to eat it. The guacamole helped to make it easier to swallow. My first solid food since August 24. Who knows, maybe I will go crazy and have ground beef in tomato sauce or something. No bread though. My discharge instructions said no bread.

yeah for the eating breakthrough!!!  It must of felt heavenly to finally eat something.

Trails Rock!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

11 miles, today, including 8 at tempo pace.  The heat and humidity has returned and so has reality.  After some pretty good runs last week, I have had two stinky ones, this week.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

evanflein

Hey, did you know that Erika and I are meeting up in a few weeks at yet another marathon - Steamtown Marathon, in Scranton, PA?  For an Alaska-dweller, Erika gets around, and I have to say, I truly enjoy our opportunities to meet in person, as she is a stellar individual, as is Peter, even though he does not respect my reverence for the pre-marathon nap...  How many marathon meetups is this for us, Erika? 

Ha, funny, I was just thinking about that today on my run! I think it's seven:

Phoenix Feb. 2017

Green Bay May 2016

Freedom's Run October 2015

Equinox September 2012

Boston April 2010 (right? Is that the year we stayed in that round hotel?)

Seattle Rock-n-Roll June 2009 (the Lake Washington House!)

Boston April 2008 (our first Bostons!)

And now we'll add Steamtown, so that will be 8. How cool is that?? I think I've run four with Mariposai (Bellingham Oct. 2007, Seattle RnR June 2009, Newport June 2011 and a Boston but I don't remember which year (2009, the year I DNF'd?), and at least three with Aamos and some with WRFB and PDR. Sort of like my most frequent non-running meetup is with Hally/Barb with La Tortuga a close second (and some of those are running meet ups, too!).

These race meetups are a lot of fun, but yeah, Holly and I have an awfully good time. And when we get back together, it's almost like we see each other all the time.  And we like to say we like to go to NY to help Hally renew her library card, gotta do that every other year, ya know.

Ok, 'nuff mushy stuff. Twocat, that's good news on the foodie front, progress. I hope you can find a way to back off on the running a bit until your mouth recovers a bit.

DH has sleep apnea issues but doesn't want to do anything about it. I think it really contributes to daytime sleepiness. Good for you, those of you who have done something about it.

Mike, good to hear you have bad runs every now and then. It seems like you have been having an incredible string of good runs.

Ok, that's about it. Got in 3.7 progressive pace miles today, first mile around 8:35, last mile around 7:55 pace. Felt like just about the right effort and distance. Will probably take tomorrow off (bib pickup at the ice arena) and run another 3 on Friday, race on Saturday. Weather looks to be perfect, so the race is mine to screw up, right?