Masters Running

Sunday 10/7 -- Marathon Sunday! (Read 44 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Good Morning!  Hold on...I'll be right back...okay--I just wanted to make sure nobody else had started the daily in the time it took me to type "Good Morning!  Hold on...I'll be right back."

There are, at least, three marathons going, this morning--Chicago, Victoria, and Twin Cities.  I'm tracking HermosaBoy and SubDood at Twin Cities.  SubDood, unfortunately, looks like he is a DNS because he has been sick for the last 2 weeks.  HermosaBoy is killing it through 5.6 miles at a 6:17 pace!  I'm tracking a former cross country kid, too, who is going at a 6:07 pace early on.  I suspect HermosaBoy will be passing the kid as he fades around mile 19.

Go runners!!!

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Mike E

MM #5615

Sorry--but I get excited over these things--HermosaBoy is still on a 6:17 pace through the 10k!  I'm sure he's going for a sub 2:45.  The kid dropped back to a 6:09 pace

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow - those are some fast runners!  Bummer about Subdood, because his training has been so good.

3 more days of warm weather here before the cold front that will likely mean the end of the warm days until spring.

5.3 miles in 71 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

The kid went through the half in 1:20:59 (6:14 pace) and HermosaBoy was at 1:22:19–still running a consistent 6:17 pace.

Good morning Mike and Holly and everyone yet to post. Wow - that's a freaky fast pace for HermosaBoy. How's the weather in the Twin Cities this morning Mike? Good running conditions?

71°? In October? That early in the morning? Wow. Enjoy it Holly. Nice run this morning.

Not much to report here. DH and I walked 3 miles on the trail next to the Fox River this morning. There's a small college - St. Norbert - that looked like they were holding a regatta. We saw several crew shells on the water. And it is not nice here! Overcast, windy and around 49°  I always give these parents high marks that follow their kids in events like this. They're standing next to the water, in cold, windy overcast skies to see a flash of their boat for like 2 seconds. My niece rowed for UW-Madison and my sister and I used to go to some of their meets. It could get downright cold at this time of the year.

DH and I played in a golf tournament yesterday. We missed DFL by 1 point

Good luck to anyone racing today!

Thanks for the Twin Cities updates, Mike.  I ran that last year in the rain.

1.5 miles on the True treadmill at the gym-  1/4 walk, 1 mile slow run, 1/4 walk.  10 minutes on the ARC trainer and 5 on the recumbent bike.  Not many people at the gym this morning.   Foot is not quite ready for running.  I don't think I set it back, but I could feel it a tiny bit. Still wearing the boot most of the time.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

I just have to figure out how to post Mariposai Victoria Marathon splits here without reading anything about the Chicago Marathon. I have Chicago tapes and have not had a chance to watch it.

Mariposai started at 11:00am EDT. At the moment she is 20 minutes into the race. When she crosses a mat I will return with an update.

As for me, I did my 5 minute cardio workout this morning. Then roasted sugar pumpkins and now have two loaves of drunken chocolate pumpkin bread in the oven.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

I’m not sure what’s going on with HermosaBoy—the tracker says he’s at mile 23 but there were no splits for the 30k or 21 mile mark.

Dave59

I’m not sure what’s going on with HermosaBoy—the tracker says he’s at mile 23 but there were no splits for the 30k or 21 mile mark.

He probably passed over the timing mats too fast for them to register.

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, Low 70s, humidity still a bit high--very high for early morning. This was a "take what you can get run" after yesterday.  And another day without the knee brace (note: did not say no discomfort).  That wound up to be a fairly slow 6 miles with another .8 or so of a run/walk mix.

Thank you for the marathon updates!

Have a great day everyone!

Dave59

My right calf started hurting on my Thursday run.  It feels fine in normal life so I tried a run this morning but quit after a mile.  It was developing a sore spot that I was afraid would get worse.  I'll try the ARC trainer at the gym tomorrow and if that works ok I can at least get in an aerobic workout.

I tried some KT tape. I know some people swear by it and I think Holly recently posted something positive about it, but it didn't do anything for me.  I started doing some research about it and I found many articles that say it doesn't do anything.  WebMD said, "any perceived benefit is probably no more than the placebo effect."  Maybe I was expecting too much. Maybe it works better for some things than others.  I'll go back to using a compression sleeve which seems to help.

Mike E

MM #5615

I sure hope something is wrong with the app because it still doesn’t show anything past the half for HermosaBoy.  The kid I was following finished in 2:42:59 for his first marathon!

Okay—I’m in church, so I’d better go.

Tramps

Some fast racers there. Hope all is well with Hermosaboy.

Mid-70s, foggy, and very humid here for our Sunday ride. 40 sweaty miles.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai is through the 10k mark in 1:10:12 which gives her a finishing time of just under 5 hours at her current pace. She is pacing a friend of hers to the finish and was worried about them crossing the finish line inside the five and a half hour time limit. So far so good.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

coastwalker

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the splits, Mike and Twocat. I hope Hermosaboy is OK. Bummer about Subdood. And I hope Mariposai is having fun.

Dave, I'm sorry the KT tape didn't work for you, but am glad you gave it a try. The worst thing that happens if it doesn't work is that you are out the few bucks you paid for it. I've used it in the past and have some very good results. So I disagree with WebMD's assessment of the tape.

I raced the Great Island 5K in New Castle, NH this morning, and had a nice surprise when I saw Henrun and Marj at packet pick-up. Henrun was racing, and Marj was spectator-in-chief. It was great to see them and to catch up a bit. It warmed up to 66° and was muggy by race time. It wasn't my best race, but I did OK, finishing in 33:24 (about a 10:45 pace) to win the walker div. All my body parts worked fine and without complaint. I was able to finish ahead of a couple of runners who were annoying me for the first half of the race or so by picking up their pace to pass me every time I passed them. My pace was more even than theirs, so I knew I'd wear them down, and I did.

Have a greta Sunday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.