Masters Running

Sat 10/18 Daily ONE DAY TO GO!!!!!!!!! (Read 523 times)

Good morning everyone. I'm almost embarrassed to post this with everyone running half and full marathons this weekend, but I did a 5K this morning and took 2nd in my AG. Time? 26:57 - a PR for me! IRC at the start, 40F, sun and no wind. My one complaint is that they had one category for women over 50. That seems unfair to the older gals out there running (a 66 year old did it in 29 and some change). I think they should recategorize 50-59, 60-69 and 70+. My 66 year old sister ran 11 minute miles which is really good for her, but she's in the same category as the 50 year olds - not good odds for her on placing. Sarge - careful on that roof today! Steve - I bet Halloween is a riot at your house. Do you hand out candy in full Batman attire? Nice long run after a sleep deprived night, Holly. Careful with that ankle. I'll bet those girls take a nice nap this afternoon! Cindy - my DH lost his first wife to cancer. Could you add Kathy for us? Thank you for doing this. Good luck to everyone racing this weekend, especially Mary on her very first attempt at a full marathon.
    evanflein

Cindy, my SIL was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. She caught it early, and is going in for some more surgery next week but she's pretty freaked out about it. Nickname is Babbs...if you could fit her on there I'd appreciate it. Steve, you one funny guy. And very true about the geese... When we were in Hawaii last summer we were sitting under a big tree eating ice cream cones. Lots of birds in the tree... Yep, right on top like a cherry. Ewww! Can't wait to hear how Mary does. I know there are lots of races going on but we've been training for this one right along with her and I can't wait to hear how she does. Go Mary! (sorry, don't mean to be talking about you in the 3rd person if you're still here...) Holly, 15 miles... wow. I officially hate anyone running anything at all. Angry Not really, I'm just pouting. Sad Please take care of that ankle. (and maybe 15 was a wee bit too much? why you pushing it?) Last night, I did 15 minutes on the stationary bike, 10 minutes or so on some chest/upper back weight stuff, then 30 minutes at mostly a good clip of pool running. I was in the lane next to some big older guy trying to do the butterfly. I called him Mr. Splash-o-matic. Geez that guy could spray water two lanes over! I'll go back for more of that today, try for an hour if I can. Assuming I don't run at all until Nov. 2, my "long run" pattern has been/will look like this: 26.2 (Equinox marathon) 12.5 (week's mileage was 33) 14 (week's mileage was 40.2) 8.5 (grrr, mileage for the week was 33.4) 0 (plan on 2 hour pool run if I can stand it) 0 (plan on 1 hour pool run) 26.2 (NYC marathon) What'cha think? I'm hoping the break will heal my foot and my base will get me through. I've never taken off two weeks before a marathon, but since I'm sort of combining recovery with buildup/taper.... it might just work? Aamos, you and Divechief really paid your dues on the elliptical. I can't do that one though because it flexes my foot in a painful way. Even walking hurts it. So I can do the bike and the pool running, and do them I will!
      Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

About 14 miles for me this morning, great weather in the PNW, started out with a bit of fog on the valley at 7am and now the sun is shining, too bad I'm already at work!! Lots of soccer this weekend for the kids, DS2 (8 yrs old) is playing now and the last report is they're winning . They haven't had a very good season but as long as he gets to play goalie , he is happy! Happy Saturday everyone! Francesca Tet, Thanks for the race info, I checked the Pumpkin Push schedule.....10am Sat....no can do...,may be I'll send the kids ,soccer permitting!
        evanflein

Ok, posted something about tracking CNYrunner, and realize that Baystate is a Sunday marathon. Got it mixed up with Hartford which was last Saturday... Ugh. I hate not running.
            Wasn't anyone very quick at the running club today,so I went out hard for 3 at tempo then coasted for 1.5 on the way back with one of the ladies... 1-7:55 2-7:09 3-7:04 (hill) finished up at 4.5 (4.58) miles in 35:50... 9 miler tomorrow with one of the ladies getting ready for Seattle...nice and easy
            Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Marathon Maniac #957

why you pushing it?
              Well, we're having friends over tonight - good food and lots of wine. I ran a little farther to help with the calorie overload. I have to say that I have finally gotten back to the weight I was at this time last year - took me FOREVER to lose my holiday lbs from last winter, and this time I want to keep it off. Maybe I should just skip the food tonight and have wine. I mean, I can have food anytime....I hardly ever get wine.... Big grin Erika, Perch did a lot with poolrunning, boring as dirt but he said it worked well. Maybe you can get a waterproof mp3 player.... Jlynne - congratulations on your PR - woo hoo!!! Dg - you lucky duck - what a great boomer gathering! Gordon - you just start out at that pace? No warm up?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Nice run Holly! Go Mary!! Jlynne, Congrats on 2nd in your AG! This was my first day back out running since the marathon last weekend. I joined the club for the Saturday morning run. We only ran about five miles, but it felt like 15! I'm always amazed at how long it takes to recover from a marathon, especially my quads. Enjoy your day! Craig
                -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                also on Twitter
                  Tough race this morning at the 10K Race with the Champions. Ran 35.58 for 3rd in my AG, 47th overall. Simon Bairu won in 29.13 easily I was told. I am happy with the way I ran since my legs were like bricks today and tight, (not sure why) but I persevered and when JF a guy my age pushed me toe to toe in the last 4k I responded and with 1K to go I pushed hard and won by about 3 seconds. Sometimes it's not the time we race but how we race it. Now for home made pizza, wine, more wine and a sublime desert of chocolate macadamian cookies in whipped cream with creme de cacao liquor, chocolate sauce and strawberries. Come on over before it's all gone. Take care Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

I'll second Deb's comments about the get-together in Ann Arbor yesterday. I haven't had such a pleasant afternoon for a long time. That's a funny thing about these forums: you meet people in person for the first time and feel like you're all old friends. Good luck to all four of them at Grand Rapids tomorrow (Rose, Ralph, Dave, Mark) and of course Mary in Motown. I'll be manning an early water stop on Fort St. beneath the Ambassador Bridge in Detroit tomorrow, getting up at 4:30AM to get down there and set up. It'll be interesting to see a marathon from this new vantage point, but I wish I were running in it instead. Oh yeah, 15.4 miles on the bike in exactly one hour.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Thanks Tall, you must have known I'm a chocoholic. Jlynne - great job on the race and AG 2nd! dg-that sounded like a nice get-together. evanflein - hang in there! Interesting taper plan. Lynden - I will probably run the Seattle half, but I haven't committed yet. If there is a pre-race dinner, I will be at that! I ran 3.8 miles recovery pace (11:13), in perfect fall weather. Yup that 16 miler yesterday took the juice out of my legs. Followed up with 30 min on the bike, which seems to be getting easier every time.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Jlynne, CONGRATS! don't be silly--I find 5Ks hard to run and don't do many. Must have been the brussel sprouts Wink! dg, I am jealous, what a fun group you hosted! I know the Rocket Scientist (Mr. Rose) is trying to qualify for Boston--let's keep an eye on the GR results along with all the other ones we are watching. mtnchk, I think what you're doing is wonderful--I ran Denver last year and hope to again next year--it'd be fun to meet up then, or at another CO race. I get down for several a year, usually. I'm a breast cancer survivor (well, the boobs didn't survive, but the rest of me is fine) Big grin Peter, I want to run where you run--really. I'd love to move to NC, it's so pretty, and then I could chase you and Perch around at races! Franc59, belated welcome home. Glad Mom is doing better. Now we have to start discussing Florence in 09 soon, ok? Erika, ouch, that's really rough, not even being able to do the elliptical. You have every right to be crabby. Just let it all out, and don't run on it! We need to get you to New York. (Did you get your number?) Joanie Benoit didn't run for 2 weeks before the Olympics (in '84, when she won it) as she had laser surgery on her knee. You'll be fine, let it heal. And whine and crab, all you want. It's a good diet (right, Holly? Not many calories in crab, if only we could stop by and cheer you up, share a meal..and some wine!) ....speaking of NY, Maine and Erika, there must not be a lot of old ladies running it, as I have been assigned to a ridicuous start for me, I'm gonna get trampled. I'm sure they'll let me move back. Hey, I'm in Orange, too, so while you may have skirted me in Maine, I will find you in NYC (what's 39,998 other people got to do with it?) --be sure to wear a Sox hat, ok? I'm bringing the navy one. Warm here, 76 and sunny, wheeeeee--took advantage and did 11 in 1:33 for an 8:29 pace, 155 ave HR 172 Max. Big grin Big grin Les than 6 hours to go..........whatever happens, we are in Tampa! grins, A
                        Masters 2000 miles
                          Woa - that puts things in perspective for me. Tall ran a 10K in only 9 more minutes than it took me to do a 5K! In my defense, I AM older than he is. Wink Great job, Tallrunner and way to finish 3rd in your AG!
                            http://www.merrimackvalleystriders.com/?q=node/404 happy saturday to all!! started off this morning with a very cool crisp 36 degrees -- yikes - glad it was sunny ran the Homecoming 5K at my kids h.s. -- beat my last year's time by 2 minutes -- today ran 27:47 - very pleased with that since i don't usually run trails and there's a steep hill in there you run twice - my 14 yr old beat his 18yr old brother so he was strutting like a peacock!! lol came home and put in another 3 miles to get me up to 6.2 miles total for the day --- plus did 3 warmup laps around the track before we started the link above is from the tufts 10k monday -- i'm with a few women from my running group and JOAN BENOIT SAMUELSON!! so cool!! the woman next to me - Lyn - has run this race all 32 years so she was in the VIP tent and asked Joan to take a pic with us -- then at the finish Joan was out there shaking hands with as many finishers as she could and i was one of them!! she really is a cool lady!!

denise

dg.

Doug, I'm glad you mentioned that... thanks. I realized after I posted that I hadn't send good race vibes to Mark & Dave.... meant to get back here all day. An early start for you. I might see you there... Tall!!! I'll be right there. (oh yeah. congratulations! Wink ) Wow Denise! It sounds like you're really doing better! wtg in your race. thanks for the link, that's a great picture. how cool you got to meet Joan! Jeanne, congratulations! funny about the age groups... why would they do that? SteveP, what a nice run. Holly, have fun tonight. good idea Amy. yes, it was a really fun group. -- it just occurred to me. when I said 'here' I meant Ann Arbor, not my house. the restaurant did all the work. Mtnchk... good luck to you too. I agree with Amy, I love what you're doing. How about Twocat's TP? I don't know her name. (think his TP is a she..). And Pickles. (TW's DW) ugh. 6 miles by the river , 9:53 average pace, 7:50 max. 163 ahr, 179 max. I only meant to do 8, expected an easy run but do you ever have one of those where every step is hard? & everything hurts? 6 felt like 600, & i can't blame it on a marathon. But it's ok! I have it all figured out. why waste perfectly good sproink on a run-of-the-mill cutback week LR? I must have already been sending it to all of tomorrow's racers, (esp, MI, sorry. can't throw clear to Denver). So they all could start sproink loading today. Smile. (maybe I can blame it on a marathon... )
                              SteveP

I'll be manning an early water stop on Fort St. beneath the Ambassador Bridge in Detroit tomorrow, getting up at 4:30AM to get down there and set up. It'll be interesting to see a marathon from this new vantage point
                                When I did the water station thing for the Bayshore Marathon, I wrote an RR but did not post it. It was " We filled up a bunch of cups....and waited...and talked...and waited...and we filled up more cups....Then a dude came by crazy fast...He didn't take water and we waited some more...Then lost of people came by and some took water...Some didn't...Then we picked up cups"

SteveP