Masters Running

Newbies (Read 490 times)

dg.

Mike, thanks for the bump. I'm glad your running is going so well Smile. I hope your first holiday season in Tennessee is warm & happy. I think you're just staying there so that you can gloat about your weather. Wink. Laurie, how's your pt progress? Roberta, it's good to hear from you. good for you that you're back at it. keep us posted. Eliz, "Oh, yeah, I'm no longer the interim alto soloist/section leader - I'm the real deal! Now all I need is to hit the lottery or find a day job at the shore, with a salary that will keep me fed, housed, and clothed, and I can become a Jersey Girl full-time!" yay! Linda! how are you? Teresa, how's the snow day progressing? I'm still fighting this stupid bug but am able to do more things. fri. just 3 on the TM. Sat. 7 along the river. cold!!! Yesterday the gym again... a little bit of everything. I was seriously wiped out by the time i was done (weight machines...my legs saying 'tell us you're joking') which let me know it's not quite over yet. I'll try to be a little cautious this week. don't want to be totally down again. It's very cold here, lots of snow & ridiculously windy. I say as I sit inside in the heat. So many people don't have power. can't imagine what that would be like right now. hope you're all doing well.
    stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I'm running, just not being very chatty about it. For some reason, I seem to have other things getting in the way this time of year. Go figure. Roll eyes I did two lake loops for 6.4 yesterday in 1:01:40. it was on (mostly) plowed sidewalks with the Yak Trax on. I was trying to avoid them, but started slipping as I hit the street, so wore them the whole way. I started out just as a warm front came through evidently. it was 20 when I was getting dressed, 26 by the time I made it out the door and 31 when I got back. I thought I was going to be too warm, but there was a good headwind for most of the last half of the last loop so didn't mind it too much. Only wore my gloves for about the first mile or so then bare handed it. No running Raynaud's for me. I did wear my fleece socks and balaclava, but just underarmor with a light cotton shirt on top. The run felt good and now I know that I should be able to run a non-snow 10K in under an hour. Everyone else in the family has or is getting the first cold of the winter. I'm assuming I'm next, as my flutter is acting up a little the past couple of days, and that's usually a signal that some thing's coming. Eliz--does being a Jersey girl involve big hair? or was that just the 80's Wink Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good job, dg and Kevin! We should get extra points for running this time of year. I made it to the Y for 6.0 miles on the TM. The new TMs seem harder, which was discouraging me. So today I decided it to set it VERY slow (5.0 mph), and then I upped the speed a little. Took the pressure off and made the run more bearable. I figure I will adjust to running on it as the winter progresses. Looks as if I may be on it quite a bit!
          Eliz--does being a Jersey girl involve big hair? or was that just the 80's Wink
          Bwwhhhhaaaaa! I'm in the middle of about 14 get-ready-for-Christmas projects, but I couldn't resist taking time to respond to that chuckle. My hair is anything but big, but being a part-time Jersey girl definitely means that I don't pump my own gas!!! Eliz Big grin

flomotioncoaching.com

Finished the food for tomorrow's soiree at school, the laundry, and the logistical plans for Christmas dinner, so I'm taking a little more time to check in more thoroughly. I almost feel like I live in the tropics after reading about some of the weather that so many of you have been dealing with. Oh, wait, it was 15 this morning and the high was 26 with sustained winds in the 20s and gusts around 40 today. Still, no snow here yet, so that sort of counts as tropical compared to where some of you are. I had two greta runs over the weekend. Saturday - 4.3 miles in temps in the low 30s; really raw and damp, though. Slight, but not awful wind. Warmer yesterday for 5 miles, and actually saw a bit of sunshine, but the wind was NUTS! I felt like I was nuts, too, just trying to run in what often felt like nature's treadmill, but there were a lot of surfers out in that craziness, too, and seeing them made me feel less like a masochist for running in those conditions. At least I was only getting tossed around by the wind and not the "dumpin'" waves, too. The quartet went really well yesterday. Got lots of compliments, so I guess I still have them fooled. Wink Seriously, it was fun and I feel like I did well. A little sniffly today - have to do the diva thing with rest and water and more rest to stay healthy for Christmas Eve. Not sure where things stand with tenor-boy. Have decided that we're both too swamped with holiday concert mania to even think about social lives right now. Did I mention that he's also a music teacher? Yep, we both had more nights out for work than nights free last week. And he's traveling to see family over break, so we'll see what happens after the new year. Stay warm in the cold, stay safe on the ice, and if the crowds bug you as much as they bug me, stay as far away from shopping malls as you can for the next few days. Smile Good runs and good short week, all. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

lswife

Merry and Happy, everyone! Roberta
                What Roberta said. Smile I'm off to the shore this afternoon for church tonight and the morning with my godsons. Then back tomorrow for dinner with my family. Can't wait for my first-ever Christmas Day run on the boardwalk! Cool Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Eliz--enjoy your run! I hope everyone else has a great holiday time. I don't know how much I'll be on, but I'll be hitting the roads as much as possible. Kevin

Me

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays Everyone, Eliz, enjoy your run tomorrow and I Hope your concerts all went well. 4 miles for me this morning. Mike
                    stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Christmas Day Night to all. Very peaceful day-no more getting up at the crack of dawn. Just DW, DD and me. DS seems to have sworn off family things at the moment, so we oblige him and ignore him. Hopefully just for a while. Bothers DW more than me. I think he'll get over it (eventually)--DW thinks we're lousy parents. Like most of life, probably somewhere in the middle. Guess the end of the holiday rush is a letdown. Anyway, too much deep thinking at the moment. I got a set of Under Armour winter weight tights from DD. unfortunately I'll have to return them. She got XL so they'd be long enough, but neglected to check the waist. They're for 38-40" and they might be long enough, but I'd have to hold them up while I'm running. you'd think they'd make them in Talls. Deb--hope your crud has gone away by now. Hate to see you lose the mileage you're building. Eliz--glad you had a good run today. Hope the tenor run continues, too. Mike--Happy first Christmas in TN. Laurie--hope the non-running won't last last too long. PT going OK? Almost forgot: I got a very pleasant surprise on Monday--I passed the PE on the 1st shot! Some very inspired educated guessing calculations. I am SO happy that I don't have to study and take it again. I get to get new cards and a fancy stamp. Teresa, Roberta, and evryone else--Hope you all had a good Christmas (or at least a good day off) Kevin

Me

Good afternoon Everyone, Congratulations on the PE Kevin. That's awesome. My oldest son went through a period where he wouldn't even admit that he had parents. That's tough to deal with some times. Christmas was nice and quiet down here. Smile Thanks for the nice wishes. 4 miles today. Merry Day after everyone, Mike
                        dg.

Hi to you all, Teresa, is that TM getting any easier? Eliz, I'm glad your singing & running & tenor luring are going well. Wink thanks Roberta. you too. Laurie, are you ok? Linda... I'm fixin' to call you. fair warning. Mike ... nice & quiet.. I hope that was good. I'm so glad you like it there. I know, I keep saying that. but it was a big move. Are you really thinking about doing the art fair? I think you have to start the process pretty far ahead of time. I don' t know what's involved in it, really, but have gotten the impression it can be a real pita. Kevin, how old is DS? believe it or not, I even had some less than perfect phases. thanks for your good wishes... that's what I've been hoping too! I'm having a hard time cutting back enough, maybe. still can't shake it. overdid at the gym today & again have a slight fever etc. stoopid. oh well. I am getting better. How about you.. did you get it? You said you thought you might. how about suspenders? You're running's going great. do you have a 10K planned? when is the half? Congratulations on your PE!! report for the day... w/u & c/d walk (about a mile), 4.54 miles, 5 sort of striders, 27 minutes on the bike, 50 min. of weight machines & stability ball things. I had the day off so wanted to take advantage of it.. that's a lttle more than I usually do, but not much really. did take advantage of the steam room & the whirlpool, so that was nice. I'd thought I was feeling better, but as soon as I started my run, I thought ruh roh. it'll pass. sorry to whine. I hope you all enjoyed your holiday, however you spent it.
                          Teresadfp

One day at a time

Kevin, congrats on the PE!!!! Yes, I felt very lucky to pass the first time, also! I got lucky - one of the questions was STRAIGHT out of the review guide! Hang in there with the family stuff. DH is one of 5 kids. It amazes me how the kids' view of their parents differs so much. A couple of them think my ILs were HORRIBLE, a couple think they were just OK, and one thinks they were fabulous. DH is in the "OK" camp. Now that his dad has passed away, at least all the kids have reconciled with his mom. In OUR family, I think DD10 and DS16 will think we were awesome, and DS13 will think he was terribly neglected! Hmm, maybe our views of our parents are partly based on the type of people WE are! dg, my run on Christmas Eve was outside - 6.2 miles in perfect conditions - 26 degrees, no wind, lightly falling snow, and snowy roads. Tomorrow I will hit the TM again with my friend with the injured hip. I'll let you know how it goes! We're off to the mall. Two of the Wii game cases we got in November were EMPTY when the kids opened them yesterday! At least GameStop believed us when we called them to tell them about it. $100 worth. Kind of annoying!

Me

Hello Everyone, Debbie, I am seriously thinking about the art fair. Although not in '09. I am going to go to a few of them in Chattanooga and Atlanta and check them out. I figure I've several thousand dollars worth of tents and display boards to buy, and then I have to work on increasing my inventory. So, 2010 is my goal. I can definately see how it would be a PITA. I'm sure it would be helpful to be able to enlist some help. Who that might be would depend on where the show is. Are you interested if I hit Ann Arbor? 6 miles today. Cheers, Mike
                                Hi guys. Sorry I have been so silent last week. Been busy with holidays and work. Mike, youre doing well! Whats this about an art fair? Kevin, have you been watching the roller coaster celtics lately? Cant believe they actually lost to golden state. Ugh. After I got divorced my oldest would hardly talk to me for nearly a year. But now she is a great kid! Dont think on it too much. That kind of negates the whole 'tights' term. lol. Post a pic when you get them exchanged. Theresa, I think you are getting better weather up there than we are. Are you going to run throughout the winter? Deb, whats the news with the tenor? Or is he an alto? L's, update us. Are you still running? I am still in PT. Good days and bad days. Heres the odd thing. I cant sit for more than 20 mins or so. Cant drive either. The hip and leg get stiff and sore and when I get out of the car I am walking like I rode a horse for hours. I was going to run Sat morning, slow and with walk breaks. But I woke up and it was freezing rain. Yuck. Why does anyone live in new england?! We have the worlds worst weather. How'd santa treat everyone? I accidently saw my youngests Christmas shopping list weeks before Christmas. She had on it everything she was buying for family and friends and she was sticking to it. Her sister was getting a Smashing Pumpkins concert dvd, a cookbook for her oldest sister and a band t shirt for her best friend. Guess what I was supposed to get???? A spatula! Lol. Too funny. But for some reason last minute she changed her mind and bought me a really cool yoga mat. I was pleased although one could never have enough spatulas. lol. I also got two sets of Celtics tickets. Laurie ps celts are up by 35 points right now!

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.