Masters Running

Age at First Marathon (Read 491 times)

HermosaBoy

Twin Cities 2003 -- age 39.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

mrrun

need to bring the median up - my first was Boston 2005 (TUfts fundraiser) age 60 and my second was Cinci in 2006 aged 61. If my knee heals, I'll do another next year. Half's are lots of fun and alot less training, Marj
      TammyinGP

It is encouraging to see so many of you that started running later in life and had your first marathons in your 40's or 50's. I do think though that since this is a Masters board, you will see a skew towards first marathons being in the 40/50 age group. There are some here that have been running most of their life, but it seems like most started running when they became masters. I haven't run a marathon yet and i'm 41. Wink

Tammy

This is very encouraging! I'm glad there are other crazy people out there! Wow, LaVita, 7 marathons in one year! Shocked
          Yeah, but notice how many the following year...ZERO... 7 was too many for me and I am still paying the price. My husband ran the same in 2007 but had no ill effects. He's still running quite well. I hope you find a nice marathon goal and GO FOR IT!
          LaVita
            It is encouraging to see so many of you that started running later in life and had your first marathons in your 40's or 50's. I do think though that since this is a Masters board, you will see a skew towards first marathons being in the 40/50 age group. There are some here that have been running most of their life, but it seems like most started running when they became masters. I haven't run a marathon yet and i'm 41. Wink
            Tammy, You're going to have a fabulous first marathon... just not as soon as you had hoped. You are going to have a marvelous half in a few weeks!
            LaVita
            Mariposai

First marathon Portland, OR, October 2006 at age 43 Eugene Marathon April 2007 Bellingham Inaugural October 2007 Seattle Marathon November 2007 Marathon Int. Paraguay February 2008 Wenatchee Marathon this coming Sunday. I think you are more than ready for your first marathon Teresa. You will have plenty of time to prepare for it. Have you chosen your training plan yet? Good luck.....

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Yes, Tammy, I figured the skew would be older on this board - that's why I asked here. I'm not as interested in the people who started when they were 20! I figure my son will run his first marathon as soon as his coach says it's OK. I have several friends who started very young and are now having trouble with knees or other issues. They are jealous that I'm a newbie and can run so easily! So there is definitely an advantage to starting as a master. Definitely the best thing I've ever done! Mari, thanks for your encouragement! I'm going to do the HM first and then decide what to do about training for a marathon. I need to show DH that I can do the HM before I dare tell him I'm training for a full! Wink
                  I was 15 in 1979 on 3 months of piss poor training. Ran the Sudbury Voyageur Marathon. Told my mom as I crossed in 4hours that I wouild never run a marathon again. Goes to show that I never listened to my mom Cool When I ran my next one at 42 to Qualify for Boston, my mom and dad were there to support me. Tall.... Now I am saying the Ottawa Marathon in May is my last one...but they are addictive as I was tempted to run NY in November as many people have told me I have to run NY.

Recent Best times: None recently

Teresadfp

One day at a time

That's interesting, Tall. My son will be 16 in July. He runs XC and track all during the school year. He runs anywhere from 40 to 55 miles a week. He would LOVE to run a marathon, but he seems young to me. I guess I should ask his coach specifically. He can run a mile in 4:43 and really believes he will break 4 minutes eventually. Seeing his drive and determination, I think he might do it!
                    coastwalker

I'm going to do the HM first and then decide what to do about training for a marathon. I need to show DH that I can do the HM before I dare tell him I'm training for a full! Wink
                      Smart way to approach your first marathon, for your sake, as well as DH's! My first was NYC in '96 when I was a mere child of 48 years. What a blast that was! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

You guys are making me feel so YOUNG! Big grin You're great.
                          Hey, Teresa! You must have been reading my mind. And you're definitely responsible for making me feel more than a little peer pressure. I started running two years ago at age 45. My longest training run to date is 7 miles, but I promised a little girl named Amy that I'd do my first 8-miler this weekend. Smile My current short-term goal is to get weekly mileage to 25 mpw by the end of school in 6 weeks. I had been thinking about doing Disney in 2011 to celebrate my 50th. I love WDW and the marathon there is around my birthday. So much is changing in my life now, and running is the one thing that's most definitely changing for the better, the current plan is spend the summer training for the Philly Distance Run Half in September. A fuzzier plan is to really go for it and do the Philly Marathon in November, but I have to survive the next six weeks in job-torture and torment to commit to that. Whatja think? "I'll do it if you will?" (Eek! Why do I hear my mother saying, "If Teresa jumped off a bridge . . . . . . .?!?!? ) And you're much less of a turtle than I am, girl! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Eliz - sounds good to me - we can jump off the bridge together! We went to WDW in November 2006 and had a wonderful time. AOL has a great Disney board, and I practically lived on it the year before we went. Had the trip planned down to a gnat's eyelash! My family would groan when I made them get up early to hit a park at opening, and then go around the park in a certain order, but they said thanks when they saw the long lines later in the morning! We would get DS to sprint for a FastPass while the rest of us waited in another line. Worked quite well! I've thought about the Disney marathon, but I'm afraid the heat would bake me. Good luck with your 8-mile run! I'm finding going longer, gradually, isn't too bad - I just think, "Another mile isn't that far!"
                              welcome to the crazies teresa!! 1st marathon (2nd race in my life) Boston 2006 - 46 yrs old 2nd marathon Baystate Lowell,MA 2006 - 46 yrs old my one piece of advice would be to listen to all these wise experienced marathoners here - i wish i knew more about training then than i did - definitely was undertrained for both of them.........i have been running on and off since high school but just for fitness - 30 minutes or so - never for anything serious til winter of 2005-06 you can definitely do it!! you will rock your half marathon and leave your dh with his mouth wide open!! Big grin

denise

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

I've running on a regular basis for about 6 years. I ran my first and only marathon so far in Vancouver BC , May 2006 at age 46. Last week end , at 48, I ran a 50 M. Next marathon will be in June. I believe that we girls only get better with age! Francesca