Masters Running

Sliding into Saturday Cutting Calories and Trees. (Read 43 times)

SteveP

Holly S takes the foot on a 4.5 mile test drive. Work it! She and the family celebrate a holiday tradition.

Jlynne is just a hair shy of 7 miles. Wow. The readers want to know...did you find a tree? DH hunkers down for some serious golf.

Coastwalker is up to speed for 4.5. His hammy starts squawking and he tones it down a bit until he gets 6.7.

Rochrunner is tripping on tryptophan as he pushed out 3.7. Glen Arbor is probably my favorite MI town. Let me know if you have fuel left in your tank for a bit of socializing after pedaling all day.

Mrrun hunkers down for Hanukkah! She's re-cooped enough for a sweet two miles. I saw this and wondered if you'd find it interesting.

Henrun, Mrrun's Maine man is hot on her heels.

RunnerKSA warms up and joins the other 4.5 miler athletes today. Is there something in the water?

Tetsujin209 has his sights set on another 26.2. DON"T FORGET THE POINT 2! When I started starting the dailies, I wanted to do my best to recognize every one who posts.I felt it would help make everyone feel welcome and validated. Of course I'll regrettably miss someone.And I use the person's handle as to help any newcomers not feel lost. The snow storm and gale force winds is what sealed the deal when I registered for the 25K a few weekends ago. I told DW that I'm dumb enough to start and stubborn enough to finish. I wanted to kick off training for a 15K in Tampa the end of February. I've not trained for a race in 10 years. This may be interesting.

Evanflein pops in. does 5.5 treadmill miles, hangs with the feline and cleans the over. Who cleans ovens before they start setting of smoke alarms on a regular basis?

TammyinGP had a fitness 5K with the dogs on Thursday after fitness food onto her plate. She knocks out 5.2 on the treadmill Friday. happy birthday from the dog and I.

Deez4boyz sneaks in a nice VIP 5K and slips into sipping.

Runr-nut is attacked by the cursed auto correct! He still manages 4.2 through the turkey hangover.

I started tearing out the ceramic tile and cement-board. DW pulled staples from the old carpet pad.The cement-board underlayment took over ten min a square foot. At 1:00 I took a break to put 3 on the treadmill and have a sandwich. I finished just before 5:00 and decided not to tear into the boxes of vinyl tile and fell asleep while watching a movie. At 7;00, I hopped back on the machine for another 1.5 to finish  getting my steps in. 4.5 for the day.

SteveP

SteveP

Based on this pie chart, I need to run four marathons and a 5K today.

SteveP

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Hi Steve - sounds like an exhausting day yesterday. Either that, or the movie was a real sleeper... Congrats on getting in your mileage/steps.

Happy belated birthdays, Bioguy and Tammy.

Everyone seems to have survived the Thanksgiving food onslaught - well done.

We wound up going shopping yesterday; our bandsaw blade broke, and I needed a new one. Home Debit had a poor selection and didn't have the right size, so we went to Sears (which is closing) and got the last one they had. I may have to order blades online if this one snaps too.

I went 5.9 miles this morning (about a slice and 3/4 of pie) in 21° temps. The combination of being underdressed for the temp and having to take it easy 'cause of my hamstring made for a very cold walk. My hands were near numb by the time I got home, and I really needed today's post-stretching hot shower to kill the chills.

Have a greta Saturday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin'.....

no Swumming

============

...50-min PoolRun/shoes......

and

a Happy B'Day to Tammy

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

We wound up going shopping yesterday; our bandsaw blade broke, and I needed a new one. Home Debit had a poor selection and didn't have the right size, so we went to Sears (which is closing) and got the last one they had.

I, too, was at Home Debit yesterday! I strung 800 + lights on our deck, running string to string with no break. We keep blowing fuses. (Gee, I wonder why she said stupidly) So since DH was too busy watching his $20 golf tournament, he sent ME to Home Debit to buy a couple of new sets of lights, since the fuse keeps blowing in the same spot. And the lines! Lots of people buying power tools and outdoor Christmas decorations since it was 50° here yesterday.  It's always fun putting the stuff up when it's warm, sunny and there's no snow on the ground. Not so much come January!

Thanks for the great start Steve, and good luck with that flooring project. And thanks for the "Caddy Shack" clip. Rodney Dangerfield was hilarious in that movie!

Hope you're warmed up by now Jay. Way to tough it out this morning.

Happy belated birthday Tammy!

It was raining here at 5:00, and I just wasn't in the mood to run in it, so I went to the Y. An hour on the elliptical and 30 minutes of weights and core. It's "Small Business Saturday" today, and I'm planning on hitting some locally owned stores to do a little Christmas shopping. I hope everyone will consider doing this too!

If anyone has Netflix, we watched a little of "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs" last night. It's a Joel and Ethan Coen piece. Pretty "out there" short Western clips. I'd be interested in getting someone else's opinion.

Have a great Saturday people!

Tramps

Steve--I like that pie chart. Yum.

Tramps fights the wind for 3. Then douses us with education.

Hey, at least I didn’t strike a match afterward (or is it “afterwards”?)

Tammy—belated happy birthday. Sounds like a nice relaxing day.

Erika-you’d make a fine proofreader!

Dave—I have noticed that the Sabres are blazing hot; 8 in a row! Good for you; you guys deserve some wins after what you’ve had to put up with in the last decade or so. Those high draft picks are paying off; playoffs for sure this year.

I've always really liked ice hockey.   The one sport I never  had a chance to play...always imagined myself as a big defenseman, cross-checking the opposing wingers into the glass in the corner, all while skating backwards.    Only a dream. &nbsp 

Joe

Joe—pro tip: you’re never going to be able to crosscheck anyone into the boards if you’re skating backwards. 

My Caps have had that Cup hangover issue--sluggish start and now a couple of key injuries—but they seem to be settling down and working more consistently. I expect they’ll lose today, though, with an absurd 19 hours and travel between games. (Game in DC yesterday wrapped up about 7 pm; they play at 2 pm in NY today.)

So we’ve got Henry’s Bruins (beat up on the blue line), Joe’s Black Hawks (needing some more depth), Dave’s Sabres (red hot), KSA’s Preds (serious contender), Mike's Wild (playing well), and my Caps ("back to back"?). Anyone else in the hunt?

Jlynne--I'll watch anything the Coen brothers make so we just watched that movie this week. We LOVED it! Starts off goofy and then gets heavy when you don't expect it. I thought it was a wonderful blend of very old-style storytelling with a fresh contemporary twist. Nicely done. I love how their films work on different levels. Reminded me a bit of "O Brother"'s retelling of the tale of Ulysses dressed up as a goofy southern film. Sounds like you may have had a more mixed reaction?

Took the day off yesterday, feeling just a bit blah. Went out for 3 this morning before the rain arrives.

Be safe. Be kind.

Happy Birthdays, Bioguy and Tammy.

I'm not the hockey fan I should be, but I do get excited for the Preds.  I have a good friend who is HR VP there and she has....stories.  It's a good organization- but young.    Last year she had to tell some of them that they couldn't wear their "My Pekka is bigger than your Pekka" tshirts to work.   And there is a beer cart.....

It's gloomy and damp and I'm weighing my run options.  It's going to be a rude awakening Monday when I have to get up early.

Vanderbilt lost a "buy" game to Kent State and the worse thing is that our super-star (our first true "one and done") got hurt.  He's a great kid and we are all hoping it isn't too bad.  It's meniscus- but hopefully just strained.  Ran into my sports doc at the game.  Did get the hot chicken my son requested after the game and we all ate it at my daughter's apartment.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

5.5 medium effort miles with 1:15 of boot camp.

Jlynne, I also watched the ballad of buster Scruggs this past week and rather enjoyed it!

Happy Running and have a Great weekend to all!

mrrun

Happy Belated Birthday Tammy and Happy Birthday Bioguy!

SteveP - interesting article - thanks

Weather was nice for the 3 miles (several months ago I would not have called this nice!)

happy Saturday all!

Henrun

4 miles in the old hood. Rarely run in my favorite reservoir but, I did today, even though part of the path is closed due to maintenance work.

Not a big football fan anymore because of the head traumas. However, I couldn’t help but watch a few moments on the tube as Ohio (which my DGS attends) is trouncing Michigan in the “big game”.

Boston Symphony tonight for a short Beethoven fest with Marj and DGD2 after another post turkey day feast at Marj’s DS  My 4 miles wouldn’t satisfy that pie chart.

fatozzig I saw a few days back you might have a torn hamstring. I hope it is a mild tear. But it sounds like the plan would be to put you through what I have been through. The protocol though that your surgeon is suggesting is the more radical option post surgery. My surgeon said weight bearing as tolerated. Others tell patients no weight bearing or just "toe touch" weight bearing. I asked my surgeon about that and he told me that he varies it with the patient. I am light and he said understood the consequences of botching up so he put me on weight bearing as tolerated. For what it is worth, I was never able to find any studies showing one protocol is better than another. My surgeon confirmed that there were none. What the ideal thing to do is apparently just a guess.

coastwalker glad you liked the cranberry recipe. My PT also wanted a copy and made it for Thanksgiving. I will find out from her tomorrow what she thought of it. I typically make it with rum but I am wondering how it would work with gin or tequila.

I am patiently doing my homework exercises. They do not burn too many calories but are hopefully helping to get my hamstring back in shape. As for Thanksgiving I managed to get through the day without overdoing it too much. One good thing about cooking is that you do not have a lot of time to nibble on all the goodies you put out!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, after yesterday's run I selectively channeled my inner Steve and took 3 dogs out to the local nature preserve where we walked a 2.2 mile loop.  They were on leashes but everyone (except maybe me) had a good time.  Bad enough with (honestly) went better than I expected.  Later in the day finally saw "The Man Who Invented Christmas."  Not a bad movie at all.

As for today, overcast but in the 50s with some wind.  I went a bit over 8 miles that included 2 x 1.5 miles at a tempo-ish pace.  I'm very bad about not doing tempo runs so I've vowed to change that.  1st mile on the 1st 1.5 was in 7:12...the 1st mile of the 2d 1.5 was in 7:10.  All in all, not a bad start to trying to incorporate some tempo work.

After that I finally went to an indoor firing range that is quite close to the house.  Nice facility.  As is the case at any firing range I've been to, safety is paramount.  I finally had a chance to try a Sig P320 (in .40) I bought in May.  This will (eventually) be the sidearm of the US military (in 9mm).  And the Air Force will likely get it last (full disclosure, in 31.5 years of service I've only "had" to carry a sidearm 1 day; while visiting some of my folks at Balad AB in Iraq; at least in my career field we just don't do carry very often).  Anyway, at first blush I'm happy with it.

They have no shot today....but War Damn Eagle!  If they manage to beat 'Bama in Tuscaloosa......

Steve, as always thank you for the start.  I had to take up a wood floor in our sun room--primarily glued to the sub floor (some staples) and it took a lot of elbow grease to get it up,  In short, I'm very empathetic.

Coastwalker, I'd say have two slices....you probably burned quite a few "extra" calories just staying warm in those temps!

Tom, Thanks--I'm still chuckling about no swumming!  Nice work in the pool.

JLynne, so the EE in me is going to come out...I had a similar issue with the lights.  All in series just adds a lot of resistance to the equation so I wound up having to run extension cords and basically reducing the amount of load in each outlet. I think by doing that I essentially made it more of a parallel than series circuit (really what I did was balance the load better); regardless, that may help you.

Tramps, nice work on the 3.  And it looks like it will be a long year for the Penguins.  No complaints here though, tough to maintain what they have maintained for as long as they have.

RunnerKSA, Monday will be tough here as well.  Only morning I've gotten up early was for the group Thanksgiving run.  Good luck to Vandy today.

runr_nut, boot camp and a run,,,and just a couple of days after a quick race.  Well done.

mrrun, nice 3--I'm the opposite, I'd much rather have this than our Alabama summer weather.

Joe, I'm with Tramps on the cross checking.  I only played for a couple of years in a "no hitting" league (was about 10 or so) and we used our sticks as much to hold ourselves up as control the puck (ok, probably more).  Nice work on the 20+ trail miles yesterday (and agree with your call to not go the other 11).

Have a greta day everyone!

Falconfixer

Hey Henrun and Twocat!

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Today is my lazy day.  We ate lunch out to celebrate DH's next-week-birthday, and then went to pick up the newest member of the family.  The whole family has been fighting about names for a couple of weeks, but I won out, since basically I will be the one doing all the work.

Meet Rudy.....

Image may contain: shoes and dog

No automatic alt text available.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly he's adorable! And definitely looks like a Rudy!

Tramps and Twocat all in the same day. Nice!

And Falcon? DH suggested the same thing, so we ran a bunch of extension cords along with dumping the one string that seemed to be causing all of the problems. I'm sure we won't have any more problems

I'm enjoying "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs," but DH is on the fence. When it comes down to choosing a movie he considers "meh" or some type of golf, football or basketball game on TV, I won't win the battle. We stopped just after Alice Longingbow (spelling??) met her destiny. I kept telling DH, "this story is not going to have a happy ending."  I loved Fargo - both the movie and the series. The Coen brothers are great!

Speaking of movies, I noticed that "Black Klansman" is now out on pay-per-view. Any reviews on that to share?