Masters Running

Ocean Drive 10 miler (Read 452 times)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Under construction.

I wrote this in Word and copied and pasted.  But it has all these emoticons now.  Why?  Is there a way to fix it?

Thank You DEEBEEGEEBEE!

All fixed.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Okay.  May I give a little race report here? I just want to do this because sometimes I don't know where I fit in...in this world of running. I don't look like a runner. I don't eat like one. I don't really even train like one. I do smell like one, so at least I got that going for me.Tongue

Tongue

Yesterday, as Nono, Ralph (the r.s.) and I were sitting on the couch in some hotel waiting for the race to start... we were surrounded by maniacs, 50 staters, serious runners, tri-athletes, etc.  Everyone was talking about goals.  Nono's was undefined as she was stepping into uncharted territory.  The second marathon of back to backs. But she had a happy-go-lucky view of the race, she was happy to have the home field advantage.Tongue

Tongue

Ralph's goal was to not run Boston yet, meaning, he was running a training run for Boston, just a tad shorter than PBJ's.Tongue

Tongue

Then there's me. Signed up for the 10-miles race but wanting a 14 miles training run. Tongue

Tongue

I said, "I don't know what to do.  Should I race it?"  (which doesn't mean much because my training pace and race pace are not that far apart)Tongue

Ralph and Nono did not skip a beat.  "Of course you should race it!  Then just run a 4 miles cool down."Tongue

Tongue

Ralph volunteered to run with me (which didn't turn out so well in Indianapolis but worked very well here).Tongue

He even carried the little pouch thing I brought to hold my phone, car key, and Accel gel.Tongue

Tongue

My goal: run 9:15's or better the whole way.Tongue

Tongue

I thought this race was going to be flat. There were a few bridges.  I thought that the wind would be at my back the whole way. Whine whine whine…. I was whining in my head but, tried not to whine out loud.Tongue

Tongue

Ralph was great. He tried to block the wind but the wind was too swirly. We had crosswinds and headwinds for the first, well, really the whole way. A rare tailwind kept me from going insane. Tongue

Tongue

Ralph also helped keep me sane. He just kept conversation light and reminded me to breathe and to look around at the beautiful scenery.  This latter piece of advice buoyed me back to homeostasis.Tongue

Tongue

The results:Tongue

Mile 1: 9:07Tongue

Mile 2: 9:00Tongue

Mile 3: 9:21Tongue

Mile 4: 9:02Tongue

Mile 5: 9:40Tongue

Mile 6: 9:17Tongue

Mile 7: 9:11Tongue

Mile 8: 9:23Tongue

Mile 9: 9:18Tongue

Mile 10: 9:11Tongue

Tongue

Garmin time:  1:32:28 for 10 miles exactly.Tongue

Gun time: ~ 1:32:54 (maybe?)Tongue

Tongue

Average pace for 10 miles: 9:14Tongue

Tongue

I thought that there would be no way I could run 4 more miles. But then I remembered that they were SUPPOSED TO BE SLOW!Tongue

Tongue

I channeled my inner Mariposai. She runs her slow runs around 11 minutes or so! And it WORKS for her. So I texted Nono’s husband and told him I was starting my next 4. He texted back to say, “See you at 14”Tongue

Tongue

I neglected to tell him that I would be slowing down, so I ran the next four in:  11:44 (gel and water break), 10:07, 10:04, and 10:14. And he was waiting for me at 14, to drive me to the marathon finish of this race from Cape May to Sea Isle City.Tongue

Tongue

And where do I fit in?Tongue

Tongue

This is where I fit in yesterday:  my job was to help others race better or smarter. You see, there were two people I had picked out to pass at the end of the 10 miler. One girl who had a slightly larger posterior than mine. And one svelte woman wearing zebra pants.Tongue

Tongue

I started my “surge” too early. I passed them both with a half mile to go, they both passed me in the last twentieth. Sometimes you’re the cheetah and sometimes you’re the weakest gazelle. In less than 4 minutes, I was both.Tongue

Tongue

So, I am going to say that I helped that larger girl and zebra pants to kick it at the end.Tongue

Tongue

But here is what pleases me more.Tongue

Tongue

Ralph needed to run slowly at the beginning of this marathon “training” run. And because he had to “help” me run 9:15’s, he, too, had to run that pace.Tongue

Tongue

This set him up quite nicely to run seriously negative splits and still within his target range. After he dropped this ball and chain at the 10 miles mark, he picked up his pace to around 8:30.Tongue

Tongue

He ran smooth and easy for the next 15+  miles… until he saw a guy he had chosen to beat way back in mile 2. Mr. Sagging Orange Pants.Tongue

Tongue

He was surprised that he did not see Orange Saggy Pants until after mile 25…  So he set out to chase him down. Mile 26 was still within his pace range BUTT. That last three tenths (according to Garmin) was better than 7:25.  Good bye Mr. Sagging Orange Pants.Tongue

Tongue

He finished in 3:52 something. Next stop: Boston.Tongue

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Okay.  May I give a little race report here? I just want to do this because sometimes I don't know where I fit in...in this world of running. I don't look like a runner. I don't eat like one. I don't really even train like

<o:p>

He finished in 3:52 something. Next stop: Boston.<o:p>

I tried quoting and it didn't have any smilies, but after post there they were   didn't see anything that would have created them either.  'fraid I can't help.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

dg.

:-)

though it did bear repeating!  

dg.

ok no thingies there now but Rosie we need your avatar on that.   hmm. 

let's see.... how many marathons have you run by now?    (just thinking about where you fit in.......)

What a great report, as usual!  You made me smile all over.  & laugh, which is a bad thing.   ;-).     You beat your goal, wtg!!!!!    In spite of swirly winds & bridges.  Very wonderful.    And way to channel your Inner Mariposai at the end.   I'll have to try that.

Thanks BLB.

mta, WTG Ralph!!   Big grin

Marathon Maniac #957

Yay!  Excellent RR!  Everyone achieved their goals!  What a great day!

And I, too, hate the wind.

But cold rain is worse.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

Great RR, with or without the ! Great job of racing too, and being smack-dab on pace for the race!

You sure choose some interesting names for the characters you see on the race course...  (Note to self: To avoid becoming a footnote in someone's race report, check mirror for saggy pants before leaving for a race.)

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Oh I so wish you could have run down zebra pants!!  Who thinks they are so cool wearing garb like that.  I could really relate to your comment about being a "real runner", I'm just a fake.

Way to go meeting all your goals and nice pace there lady!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I'm just a fake.

Fake it till you make it.......that's my motto.

buehrle....you fit in right where you are.  Nice fun RR.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                      Rose, you fit in better than any runner I know! Great race and report, too. Now that you're such a good 10-miler, you really need to come back to Michigan for the Crim races some time. How else am I ever gonna see you two again?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Slo

Okay.  May I give a little race report here? I just want to do this because sometimes I don't know where I fit in...in this world of running. 

Ok....just so I'm straight on this....you just ran a 10 mile race at an average pace of 9:14 and don't know where you fit in as a runner ? I think that would qualify you as an adept runner !

Great report, Great race !

Renee the dog

But cold rain is worse.

We had that too, but not 'till she was safely in the car. 

I remember several times yesterday thinking, "Oh thank G*D there isn't much wind out here today.  I couldn't do this if it were a windy day."  I am grateful to now have it from a verified source that my "not much wind" is really some decent wind.  The windy days are downright Nor-easter-like.

RCG isn't kidding either about the swirling.  That's pretty regular too.  I've had runs around here where every way I tured I hit a headwind.     

Great race report!!!  It was soooo nice to meet you and run with you a bit!  I think you are one fabulous runner and fit in just about anywhere...though if you join up with the cheetah-wearing runners group, I might pretend not to know you!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Hey Nono!

I am anxiously awaiting YOUR race report... mine was just the companion report!

I watched one girl in those velour cheetah pajama pants finish around 3 hours!  She was a speedy girl!  Finished quite close to the Pink Tutu Man!

Renee the dog

Hey Nono!

I am anxiously awaiting YOUR race report...

ughhh, we're not out of Congress Hall yet.  It's way too wordy, and we're not even at the starting line!   I need Twocat's editor....

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

That all worked out great Barb!  Must have been great to have a good pacer!  A real win-win for you and RS! He's really ready for Boston now.. geesh.

Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova