Masters Running

Sunday runs and stuff (Read 412 times)

Tramps

Everyone's out running long, I suppose...and racing!

Thanks for all the good vibes this week.

I had a little experiment testing the leg.  I did just under 6 miles at roughly MP pace, easing into it.  I could feel my pulled muscle but it loosened up a bit after a couple of miles and didn't get worse, so I'm encouraged.  I kept it short though to be safe.  5.8 @ 7:55.

Gorgeous, cool, sunny day.  Hope yours is a good one.

Be safe. Be kind.

Slo

Nice run Tramps. Now you need to see how it feels later today.......hopefully well !

Another work day.....hopefully we'll be out of here by noon. Then it'll be an early in to support start-up for tomorrow. I can't complain.......my projects this year haven't required a whole lot of weekends.

Last night was my Bro-in-Laws annual Bon-Fire. Great time......Tons of food.....BBQ Chicken, pulled pork, venison, turtle, pheasant, Fish, duck.......then the salads and desserts ! 7 roasters filled with meat, 2 banquet tables filled with salads and desserts......the only thing lacking was enough stomach space to sample everything......but damn did I try !

And, for those that get there early......he blows up a pumpkin. Each year he grows those 800 - 1000lb pumpkins. My other BIL works for a blasting company and has the permits. What better way to quickly get rid of those huge pumpkins.....Turn 'em into pumpkin pie filling.

Good runs wished to all !

King of PhotoShop

Sounds like a heck of a party SLO.

3 recovery  miles after yesterday's race.  9:20 pace.  52 degrees and raining.  Of course it cleared up soon as I finished.  Should be a good day today.  No travel so I will read and watch football today.  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Tramps - keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Slo - that sounds like fun!

5.85 easy-paced miles (ave 10:09) for me today on a lovely crisp and sunny morning at 37 degrees.  The trees have barely begun to turn yet, even though we are late in the season, but the poisen ivy leaves are bright red as their vines wind up the trunks of the trees, providing a lovely contrast to the still-green leaves.

Last night's dinner went well, and although I overate, it wasn't too excessive.     TI have several hours of tax class homework to do today, and a soccer game later for DS.  Should be perfect weather for him, sunny and 54 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sounds positive, tramps.  Hope the rest of the day goes well.

Holly, we're doing your beef burgundy recipe today.

12.2 miles, 1:44:04, 8:30/mi, AHR 146 (75% MHR)

5@9:04(134), 2@8:39(144), 5.23@7:55(157)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Blowing up pumpkins at a bonfire party!  That is such a guy-thing. Funny.

8 miles at 10:17/mi.  Beautiful fall day here.

Tramps - that sounds promising.  I hope hope hope this is nothing much.

I'm spending the day on a sewing project for baby Nate.  My idea of a perfect Sunday - even though it doesn't involve enormous vegetables and explosives.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Mariposai

What a perfect way to spend the day miss predawnrunner...sewing baby's clothes. GrandBabe Beer is one blessed kid to have you as his grandma.

Holly, I so admire your will power...when I go to parties all my resolutions fade a way the minute I walk at the door.

tramps, happy to read your posting.

dg....one week from today you will no longer be a marathon virgin!!!!

I decided to run this afternoon, it is 23f here and I do not want to tease my asthma one bit before NYC.

That Ribs seems to be a slacker today, I better call him to put him to work Smile

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

spareribs, nice 10K with 1st in AG.  Walt, good job on your marathon.  CNY, it sounds like you sure had a great day encouraging your many friends.  Tammy, congrats on your 10K PR.  mari, congrats to your son on his XC PR.  Tramps, that was a nice run you had this morning.  I have my fingers crossed that you will not suffer any repurcussions.

Nice long runs for fussy, pfries (including 5K with PR), holly, mari, and WRFB.

This morning, it was in the high 20s and there was a light breeze.  I got in 5 miles in about 48 minutes for a 9:36 pace.

I've got a digression from running topics that touched me.  Last week, while visiting my mother, I saw she had a book that was a WWII memoir.  It didn't strike me as the kind of book she'd read until I looked and saw the author was a man who lives in the same retirement complex she does.  I've met this man and his wife and talked with them several times.  He's on the smallish size, seems like a quiet and shy type, well spoken, and, unfortunately, has pretty bad dementia.  His wife is alert and spry and takes real good care of him.  I borrowed his book from my mother and couldn't put it down once I started it.  He was drafted and trained as a B-24 navigator.  Before going overseas and while on a training mission, his plane iced up and went down.  He was the only one who was able to bail out.  The other 10 crew members didn't survive.  He was assigned to the Pacific theater and participated in a number of combat missions.  On a mission in the Solomon Islands, his bomber was hit and went down.  Again, he was the only one able to parachute out and the only one of the crew to survive.  He landed in the ocean and managed to get himself to an island 10 miles from the crash site.  He knew the island was in Japanese hands but was fortunate to be found by natives who didn't like the Japanese.  After a number of days, the natives got him to a couple of coast watchers who took care of him for quite a few days.  The coastwatchers were able to arrange a sea plane to pick him up about a month after his crash.  The book was quite well written, about 10 years ago, before he had dementia.  It was a moving story and meant so much more knowing that I knew the man who lived the experiences in the book.  

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS 

That man had one lucky life, Tom -- sad for the way it is ending though.  But what a treasure that his memories are preserved.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

dg.

no time to read, 10.14 miles, 10:04 pace.   almost matched.  :-)

Renee the dog

18 sun-soaked miles from one end of Long Beach Island to the other.  Pace?  Eh, around 9:09...not sure, 'cause results aren't up yet, and as usual, I didn't stop my Garmin until after perusing the drink line.   Two words: BIRCH BEER!

From kegs. 

Now that's a fine way to end a race.

More later.  I was quite impressed with this whole race and all that I soaked in...want to write up a decent race report.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

I'm spending the day on a sewing project for baby Nate.  My idea of a perfect Sunday - even though it doesn't involve enormous vegetables and explosives.

^^If that doesn't prove the "Women are from Venus, men are from Mars" axiom, I don't know what does.

Sounds like you ran a great race, Nono!

3 recovery for me, quads a little sore, but everything else....knees, AT's, hammies....feeling pretty good.

Hope you're on the mend, Tramps.

Hey SLO:

"Tons of food.....BBQ Chicken, pulled pork, venison, turtle, pheasant, Fish, duck..."

Where was the party? A zoo?

Good running, everybody!

Wat

sounds positive Tramps - hoping for the best!!

slo- sounds like a fun party

nice job yesterday Ribs - wish we could have met when you were in Quincy -- i was working in Boston that morning when you posted your run

nice runs out there today WRFB, holly, PDR, deb, walt

Nono - can't wait to read the report

Mariposai - can't believe your temps dropped that much -- it was 37 in Maine last night and one of our propane tanks ran out in the middle of the night -- fortunately DH woke up and went out to switch tanks on the camper - it was getting brisk in there!

ran the Great Island 5k today -- absolutely beautiful coastal run -- 26:38  41/162 for my age group

then ran a mile cooldown with a couple of friends - tried to get there early to add a mile or more in the beginning but once again my lack of directional sense and the line to get in to the parking lot made me on the lateish side for a good warmup

tomorrow -- tufts 10k for Women in Boston 

Happy Columbus Day!!

denise

dg.

Denise, thanks.  wtg on your 5K!!   ... a 10K tomorrow?  wow.    and btw, Aamos was right.  :-)

Nono, great job!

Nancy, I was just thinking about that a little while ago.    One week from now & it will be over, regardless of anything.   kind of like childbirth.    Wink

It was cold here too!  24° when I started, and windy in both directions. (really).   but at least it was sunny, dry & very beautiful. 

Tramps, Smile.

better go, I'm making soup & it's probably boiling over.   I decided maybe this will be one of my marathon traditions,   (started to put in an  'if' here, but decided that's not very wise).   Make soup, get rid of vegetables so I don't come home to nasty things, & have something easy & healthy to eat all week.  My stomach has really been on edge.   is that common?

Good evening, gang!!

Slo - I'd love to see a photo of the exploding pumpkin - must be awesome!!

Tramps - glad the leg is better. 

TomS - touching story  -thanks for sharing.  Could you post the book title? Sounds like something I'd like to read.

Denise - nice 5K!!

dg - what kind of soup??

It was delightfully cool this morning. DH and I got a late start on the trail (8:30) and it was still 39 degrees but sunny.  What a gorgeous day for a run!!  16 miles @ 9:42 and 155 AHR.  The colors aren't even close to peak yet - maybe next weekend.....

Good sleep tonight for good runs tomorrow!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous