Masters Running

meniscus blues (Read 299 times)

Henrun

Hi - a diatribe As Henrun's alluded to a few times, I've been having knee problems for about a month. Cry After 6 days of no running (snow-shoeing, x-c skiing), I ran and on day 2 walked home. The next day I saw a PA at the orthopod's office, had some x-rays, and sunday had an mri, with the news tuesday that I had a torn medial meniscus. Today I saw the orthopod and actually got slightly better news. yes, i have a tear, but it may just be age-related and it's minor (he, of course, doesn't feel pain). the radiologist may be over-zealous. Treatment: No running for one month, but I can x-train, biking, swimming, and elliptical - no aspiration of the extra fluid in the knee and no surgery in sight. come back and we'll re-evaluate - possibly aspirate if fluid is still there. it appears the fluid is to protect the injury (course it means it's hard for me to bend to take good pictures) moral of the story: make sure you go to a sports doc who knows the need for activity and is conservative - he didn't blink an eye when i said i had walked for an hour and had no problem with using free weights and balance exercises anyone have experience with this kind of tear (is that a long or short 'e') Marj
    btb1490

Hi Marj, The bad news is you'll be down for a month or so, but the good news is that this sort of injury usually has a good outcome if you're good about your recovery. I personally have no experience with this injury, but two running buddies of mine have both dealt with is successfully. They both crosstrained to keep in shape, mostly using the elliptical trainer or cycling, worked on strengthening their leg muscles, and built back up slowly when able to run again, and are doing fine today. So be a good, patient patient! Smile And don't take out your frustrations on Henry too much! Wink
      evanflein

Well, that sounds like better news than it could have been. My DH had a severely torn meniscus from playing basketball. He had to have surgery to fix it where they went in and stitched it back together. Much more involved than standard procedure. He was in a brace for a couple weeks and on crutches for 4 weeks. Got off the crutches just before our wedding... And yes, it's important to go to a doc who has the same activity and athletic values that you have!
          {{Marj}} Healing vibes to your knee. And your spirit. What a bummer that you can't run, but good news that you can cross-train. Sounds like your doc is a keeper. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Hi Marj, sorry to hear about your knee. Your doctor sounds like a good one, so I hope he can get you back to running. At least you can still cross-train in the meantime.
              Hey Marj. Glad to hear no surgery is required. I had a torn meniscus, but it was associated with an ACL tear so the surgery and recovery were pretty drastic. A month off seems long, but you'll do fine with the cross training, and after the fact the month won't seem as long as it does now.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

hi Marj - sorry about your injury but glad you don't need surgery at this time and will be able to cross-train - hopefully that will keep your spirits up!! recover well!!

denise

Head Procrastinator

Just want to add my wishes for a speedy recovery...........after a whole month maybe Henry will actually be able to keep up with you for a week or two Big grin
                  ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                  nowor

Marj, Glad you went to the doctor sooner rather than later. I bet you'll be putting miles on your bike. Good luck on the healing and be sure and have Henry wait on you when ever you want. Sue
                      So sorry to hear the news and I know you aren't happy with the amount of time off from running. I too am glad that no surgery is required and you can be reasonably active. All good wishes for a speedy recovery. CNY
                      mrrun

Thanks for your support - I biked to work today - normally i wait until it's 40 in the morning, but at least there was no wind and sun! Shocked Cool
                          Sorry to hear this, Marj. I hope that you will be able to keep up with your cycling, as that will at least get you out in the fresh air again. I know that I'm looking forward to getting my bike out as a subsitute for the running that I also haven't been able to do.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

marj, I'm sorry to hear of your injury but glad that it's not any worse. It sounds like, with patience and rehab, you'll be back as good as new before you know it. Take care of yourself and be assured you've got lots of good vibes coming your way. TomS

New skirt in town

Marj, I have no advice for you, just a shout out! I'm sad that I won't be seeing you on my training runs through your neck of the woods...it's always fun to keep an eye out for you and Henry! --Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA