Masters Running

Memorial Day runs and remembrances (Read 654 times)

Good morning all and Happy Memorial Day.  Please remember those who have fallen to preserve our Freedoms and enjoy those Freedoms happily today with family and/or friends.

I've been having a fabulous weekend - even the race itself though it finished surprisingly early.  We went boating from Harbor Springs to Lake Charlevoix yesterday and I've been eating and drinking copious amounts of brewskis all weekend.  The weather could not be better.

I went out for a quick 3 miler this morning at 9:05 pace.  I didn't run yesterday and probably won't have an opportunity tomorrow either.  So I figured I better get out there for a little one at least.  Since I only ran 20 miles on Saturday, it's like I didn't race.  No physical recovery needed at all.

I'm a bit embarassed by my DNF - to have all the world know of my mental limitations.  I'm having trouble right now figuring out why I do these marathons.  I think that may be sort of a common question for marathoners.  But after a few days and a clearer head, I'm pretty sure I do them because of the Great Friends I've made due entirely to my running and due to the Traveling it allows me to do.  Seeing Mustang Sally, Dg1, dAAve, MarkGuy, and SteveP is worth going 1000s of miles for me.

That sounds like a good enough answer to that marathon question for me.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

Thanks for the opener Bill.......I think the mental battle is toughest......It's the one that I lose the most frequent. 5k to Marathon.

Just a quick in and out......8 easy miles in heat and humidity....much easier today. I think I'm getting conditioned to it.

To those who sacrificed thier life for our freedom.

Kimmie

Morning all....

I think you have a great perspective, Bill.  I think that's why I run marathons too, for the friendships.   If everyone would just choose to start running the shorter distances, it would be all good with me.  Smile

I haven't been posting and I've been surprised at my lack of motivation lately.  It seems like the running has not been good since Boston and the relay.   I thought for awhile that I've taken a bit to recover, so that's why my running has seemed slower, etc.... but it doesn't really feel like I'm recovering, just feels like I'm slow.

so, between feeling blah and my ankle/calf being sore, the last few weeks, mileage has been really low.  But, I feel like I'm ready for a decent week this week.

7 miles this morning with a friend on her hills.... I really needed a good sweat after too many beers last night. Smile

Marathon Maniac #957

To those who sacrificed thier life for our freedom.

+1

Lamerunner – your hike sounded lovely.  I think it’s wonderful when I hear you and others here talking of sharing such adventures with their families.  Unfortunately, my DH does not share my love of such things. 

Breger – I totally agree with you on that one….

Kimmie – sometimes the running blahs hit, for whatever reason.  Enjoy the break and know that motivation will return at some point.

11 slow and easy miles for me today in 74° and 81%.  No training need for it, just trying to burn off a little of the weekend overeating before I start my taper tomorrow.

During my run I had to pee and, since there were no restroom options nearby, I ducked into a dense patch of woods.  Somehow I must have kicked up cloud of mosquitoes in the undergrowth, because in the 30 seconds I had my shorts down, I managed to get 12 skeeter bites on my backside.      I know this because DD counted them as I was slathering on anti-itch cream when I got out of the shower.  Guess I need to start using bug spray before my runs...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Nice opener Bill and don't be embarrassed at all----if enjoying the company of friends and meeting new ones is your reason for running, that seems about perfect.

Spectacular morning here in the Commonwealth, low humidity and sunny with clear deep blue skies. Even though I was saying "ouch" in my sleep, or so I am told, there was no way I was going to let this perfect morning pass without a run. 7.2 easyish miles---upper body sore as you all predicted, but legs did all the work and all fine.

It will come back Kimmie---give it time.

Thank you to all who serve now and served then

P.S. Oh no Holly! I just read your post addition.....yowsa.

Yeah, but who would think you needed bug spray on your bums? Big grin

Kimmie - I know how you feel.  Maybe it's the warmer weather?  I'm in the same boat, I think.

Bill - yes, that's the answer!

Oh hi, Karin!  Sorry about your owies.

Hi, everyone!  Haven't been around in a while -- life is just getting too busy these days.  But here I am in my brewery (for only the 2nd time this year!), trying to brew some beer.  We are actually out of homebrew -- horrors! 

No run for me today -- yesterday I started out on a planned 12 and felt awful enough to cut it short at 8.  Maybe it's the heat or maybe I just need a rest day.  I can't do anything about the heat so I took the day off.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

74 F at 8am, I do not ever remember a morning hotter than this in NE Ohio  80 when finishing

8 miles in easy pace (ha!) 1:15:50   1st 5.2 w/DW

Bill let me say that only a small percentage of the world is aware of your DNF

Seriously I think "Friends let friends do half marathons"  & it is still long enough for both a challenge and also to justify traveling around the USA.   Like I wrote yesterday, just think of it as a nice 20 mile training run that you finished nicely.   Think of Twin Cities Marathon for now then you can go from there.  Don't get more than one marathon ahead. 

Off to the parade... 

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Tramps

DNF?  Been there done that...even wear the T-shirt I didn't earn.  Life goes on.

I've been focusing on getting work and house projects done these days but I still try to lurk a bit around here.  I also  try to keep some basic running going.  Holly's gonna beat me up if I don't get my 40 miles in on the 40/40 thread...or so I tell myself to stay motivated!  But with no marathon this Fall, and the dreaded H&H kicking in, I'm dialing it way back for the summer this year.

I did run the local 10K race today.  Way too hot and humid to be racing but I stupidly went out at near race pace anyway, only to find myself retching by mile 3 and run/walking it in the rest of the way.  PW for this race. Ah well, live and learn...or not.

I'm in awe of Walt's race. 

ETA:  Ouch, Karin.  I just went back and found that post.  Sounds nasty.  Glad your up and running but stll...watch it.

Be safe. Be kind.

Something buggin' you, Holly? (Hyuck yuck)

Glad to see you're up and running again, CNY. Seems like quite a tumble you took.

2 easy, easy miles this morning. There's a fair-sized hurt throughout my legs.

Walt

Renee the dog

For JLynne:

It looks better in the morning and evening. This is a shot from early this morning.Mid-day, you need   .

Did get my 6 miles in last night -- 82ºF when I set out -- 80ºF when I finished.  Swam Ran the last 2 miles in the surf barefoot, as I was not sweating much and wondering if I was going into heat whatever...

No running today.  Thanks to all who have served in our Armed Forces. {{{ }}}

{{{CNY and Holly's bottom  }}} too!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Rest day for me today but with it being a day off work I may sneak out this afternoon for a couple .

Bill,

I have to say that this group as a whole is very intimidating, (you included) to people who peak in and read what goes on around here. I also know that all levels of runners are welcome here . It is refreshing and insightful to hear stories like yours and Steves and then Walts (all regular posters) to verify that we all are at a different place at different times and thats  OK  !  Unless you are an elite its all about you against you and how can you really lose that race? Just the love of the sport and comraderie (sp) is what unites us.

Karin,

Ouch!  thats what happens when you fall at a high rate of speed , I'm so slow I would have walked away unscathed.   Be careful this sport can be dangerous. 

Holly,

Another example of how dangerous this sport really is.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Byll - I agree with you about meeting friends, but for myself will stick with HMs at the most, and even those are limited in my future.

Karin, what a scary fall! I have a few road-rash scars of my own, but it sounds like you had more of a straight impact. I'm surprised (but not really) that you were up and at 'em again today.

I had planned on about an 8 or 9-miler on a favorite route today, but when I woke up something told me to scale it back and just run a few from home. It was good advice. Ribs hasn't been posting here recently so maybe I can get away with this, but it was super-muggy out there. Whew!

I managed to get in 5 miles and wasn't afraid to take a couple of short breaks in the shady spots. I took along both 10oz bottles in my fuel belt with gatorade mix and drained both before I was done. Then, since I was already maxed out soaking wet, I went ahead and cut the grass while still in my running outfit (does that count for extra mileage?).

By the way, I don't know much about dogs, but I saw a couple biking on the trail with their dog running beside on a leash. It wasn't a short-haired breed either, but had long curly hair. Isn't it really a bad idea to run your dog in hot, humid weather? I thought I've read things about the danger of your dog running with you for a long way in these conditions, let alone keeping up with a bike.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

wildchild

Carolyn

Jeanne,congrats on your 3rd AG win yesterday!  I love your time of 33:33. Sorry it was so hot, though!
                            Dave, Annabelle looks like a keeper!
                            Karin, Ouch! I can't believe you felt OK to run today. Wow.
                            Mariposai, are your trails not safe to run alone?  I go alone all the  time here. Your run along Salmon creek sounds like a nice route too,even if not a trail.

Doug, I would think it's not a good idea to run a dog in H&H alongside a bike.  I don't take my dogs running when it's hot, and for me that's about 70°. Plus my running speed is only a slow trot for them.  But I guess a short run might be OK, especially if there was a creek to lie down in.

Bill, no need to feel embarrassed at all!  DNF's happen.  There will be other races.  Or not.  Glad you had fun with friends and family - that's what's important.

Hi Tramps!  Good to see you.  Sorry about the PW race yesterday.  I know how much you hate H&H. 

Yesterday I went for a really nice 2.5 mile hike with the whole family - DH, DD, and the two D dogs.  I'm very lucky my family loves to hike.  Then they went  home and I ran another 8.5 trail miles. I'm logging it in as an 11 mile trail run even though the first part was just walking - most of these trails aren't exactly runnable anyway - very steep and rocky.  It was absolutely IRC - mid 50's and sunny, low humidity.  Gorgeous day to be out in the woods.  Lots of people out enjoying the trails on a holiday weekend.

Yesterday afternoon/evening we went to a barbecue at an old friend's house, who we hadn't seen in several years.  We used to work together, but he worked in England for 3 years and recently got home.  He went to Cornell, so I emailed him that DD is going there in the fall, and he invited us over.  Lots to catch up on, and he gave DD some good advice about school.  They have two 9-month-old black labs, and wow, what a handful!  They made my dogs look downright angelic  by comparison.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Dave59

Rest day (again) for me.  Thunderstorms washed out all my plans - parade & grass cutting.

I vote for Haller (Larry) for best quips of the day so far:

Karin -   Ouch!  that's what happens when you fall at a high rate of speed , I'm so slow I would have walked away unscathed. 

Holly - Another example of how dangerous this sport really is

I am in rochrunners camp on marathons.  Maybe a half or two each year as my longest.  I'm not cut out for the full distance.

I'll get in some runs the next few days before heading to Deadwood.  I've already started my pile of stuff I don't want to forget to pack.

Mariposai

As a thanks to those who have served or who are serving our nation, I went out for a run in the rain. 40 minutes of total solitude. I then got back home to pick up my water bottle before I ran to the Zumba class. When I got to the studio I found out that they have changed the place to another studio ...I turned around and ran to the other studio. I got there just on time to start the class. Zumba class keeps you moving and before I finished I had a puddle of sweet around me...I think Zumba is going to be the answer for me to loose the 10 pounds I gained during my taper/race/taper/race/rest period.

Walter, great race yesterday. Now rest up a bit, oK!

Tramps, good to see you here. We miss you. How come no fall marathon in your future?

Byll, great insight. Keep focusing on the essence of why you run and this DNF shall pass. I think it is easy to place so much emphasis on the speed and time of our races that we soon forget that only the daring "souls" run at all and only the "warriors" embark in conquering the monster distance of a marathon.. I am dealing with the same struggles right now.

Carolyn, my woods are not safe at all for a girl to run alone. We live next to an Indian Reservation and too many seedy people frequent the woods for "other reasons"

Kimmie, embrace the blahhnessss!!! it is just your body way of telling you that it has given you a lot through your training and racing and now it needs time to repair.

I too enjoyed reading about lameruner's hike yesterday.

Enjoy your Memorial Day food and fun. We decided to have a BBQ this afternoon. Off to make some salads, bake some pie and then I have a date with my book this afternoon. I am still trying to finish the Help. Dinner is at 5. Wanna come over?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard