Masters Running

Turkey Day Trots and Fun (Read 313 times)

Good morning, all!  I don't think I've ever started the daily before.  No running yet, but the stock for brining the turkey is simmering, the dishwasher is humming, and the first of several loads of laundry is in the washer.  As soon as I "drown the turkey" in the brine, I'm heading out for a morning run around the neighborhood.  Then off to mom's for a few hours to strategize about which stuff is coming to my house and how to get it there.

Oh, yeah, and I just signed up for next year's Philly Distance Run HM.    It's not until September, but my discount as a returning runner expires soon.  You lot have had quite an effect on me - scheduling half marathons almost a year in advance!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Good morning everyone,  Off to small local 5k Turkey Trot this morning. Check in after

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!  Good luck turkey racers!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

WTG Liz on committing to that 1/2!

I did my own Turkey Trot for free this morning around the hood..4.41 miles.  Don't have

to cook this year, so off to stuff my self at MIL's.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Put the Turkey in the oven then was out for a short 3 mile recovery run. 9:40ish pace.

Although I always go to my MILs for dinner I cook my own turkey before I leave for the leftovers you never get  when going somewhere else for dinner.  A  20 pounder was probably a little overkill though. My wife says I still think we have 2 teenage boys at home.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Slo

A Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving Day wished to all who read this !

There better be a whole lot of RR's to read.....remember, I am liviing vicarously thru your runs. Somebody damn well better get me an AG placement too ! 

Off shortly to gather with my DW's side.....lots of wild game along with the traditional turkey. Anybody like turtle ?

Good morning again everyone,  23:10 5k this morning  AG 3rd/12 & 31/137.  Didn't wear a watch, didn't want to know time or pace.  Just wanted to run comfortably hard for 2.5 miles then unload when reentering the city park for the last .6 mile loop.  It worked out pretty well happy with that pace it's a PR over the last 3 years.  AG 1st & 2nd were over a minute ahead of me but I would  have been 2nd in every AG over 30yrs.   Being born in the middle of America's largest generation has made this a common occurrance.  SLO I don't know if this meets your vicarous needs but I tried.

dg.

Eliz, thanks for starting us!   You have had a busy morning.  I hope things go well (as in calmly & with minimal angst) at your mom's.   

belated good luck Sarge!   btw, how is your dw?

speaking of DW's, Stevep, you have this way of touching our hearts & making us laugh at the same time.

Hi Hallar... I meant to say before that I love your avatar.  maybe one of these days I'll come up with one.  I'm so glad your running is going well...   injury free?

Slo_hand...  no racing or placements for you but I had a nice fartlek run ;-).    A long time ago, DH & I went out with another couple & their 2 yr. old DS for dessert.   This place had those brownie/caramel/nut ice cream things called turtles.  We went around the table & ordered it, one after the other & their DS's eyes got bigger & bigger.  He was quiet for a while, then looked at us & said  "they move! "  Smile

PDR will you get to see Dear Old Dad today?

It was cold & windy - in both directions, (really!) with some spitty rain but I had a nicer than expected run.  The last 3 have gone pretty well, & I don't know why.  6.24 miles, average pace 9:42, max 8:02.  I did 8 fartleks.  I'm taking this as a cutback week & this might have been just a little longer than necessary but I hated to waste a day when I had time to run a little longer without going nuts trying to get to work.   Was tempted to go longer but I was trying to be smart, & got a late start anyway.  I kept finding & losing things.  hat, gloves, mind. 

Happy Thanksgiving everybody.   I am so thankful to know all of you.  Hope you all have a very wonderful day.

mta, wtg Sarge!   I like how you ran this race.. might try it (except more slowly!) when I get up the nerve to enter another one. 

wildchild

Carolyn

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!  I'm thankful for our wonderful community here at RA, and thankful for the gift of running. Thank you, friends!   I'm also thankful that I live in a beautiful place and have a happy and healthy family.

Off to my sister's in Wyoming shortly. I'll take the dogs for a run this afternoon while the turkey is in the oven.  I didn't see any turkey trots listed for Laramie today or tomorrow so I'll just have to do my own.  Which means I'll get 1st in my AG - just for you, SloHand!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

dg  DW is feeling pretty good still some hip pain but not like before.  She did 5 miles around the neighborhood this morning.  She could have easily won AG at the race only 5 lady walkers age 50+ no runners.  She played it safe & didn't want to get caught in the race & go to hard and have a re-injury.

Have A Wonderful Thanksgiving!!!   

6th OA/ 1st AG at my local turkey trot....2.5 miles in 15:01. I wanted the sub-15:00....didn't happen (grrrr) It's still a fine time. Good enough, SLO?

Thanks for starting the daily, Liz.

On my way home from dropping the girls off I bought a large jar of mayonnaise: probably the most important thing to add to leftover turkey to make it palatable.

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday. Walt

SteveP

Good for you Eliz!!!!!!

Off shortly to gather with my DW's side.....lots of wild game along with the traditional turkey. Anybody like turtle ?

Hide your avatar Eliz!!!!

Good luck in your race Carolyn!!!

I was in two races this AM. The 5K was long..... 4/10's of a mile long...Thank goodness.

I hope the mile "Fun Run" was too.

No dogs were allowed to race. Both times I passed the truck, Tag was looking out very ticked off. He wouldn't talk to me all the way home.

SteveP

SteveP

Kewl Deal Walt

SteveP

Mariposai

One hour run today in the rain. It was nice running around the neighborhood where I used to run when we lived in Portland, OR. One more day here and then we will drive down south to Florence, OR where I will see the delightful Woods Lady.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Nice going Sarge.

Walt, 6 minute pace!  WTG!

I skipped our Dallas TT, the largest in the U.S., because it's an 8-miler and I really need to run long on Sunday and that would have messed me up.  Instead I did 6.5 at the park, including 3 x 1200, just enough speed to work for me.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.  Spareribs

TammyinGP

wow - speedy racers around here today!

for the first time, I ran in the local Turkey Trot. There was a 2 miler and an 8 miler. Since DS wanted to run a race with me, we chose the 2 mile fun run. Well, I thought he wanted to run WITH me, but he had other plans. He left me in his dust after only 1/4 mile. I could barely see his head bobbing and weaving through the crowded bike path trail and knew I couldn't catch him.
                                He finished in 15:29. He said he felt sort of nauseous at the end when he was trying to pick off as many runners as he could in that last 1/4 mile. He even talked about 'drafting off a couple fast guys' . . . you'd think he's done this before or something.
                                Anyways, he had a great time and finished around 12th in his AG I think. But they had his AG as 14 and under , which in my opinion, isn't really fair. The young kids are competing with some of the freshman track kids. I'm guessing that if they had a 10 and under AG, like they usually do, he might have been in the top 5. Real proud of him. He had a great time!

I baked two pumpkin pies last night and mixed up a fruit salad this morning. We are only bringing one pie with us to my parents but my husband said it's some rule that we have to leave one at home, so he has his own pie to eat later. I never heard of that rule before, but being the good wife I am, I baked two.

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

Tammy