Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 11.12.13 (Read 41 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Nice 'count 'em up' date today.

Stumpy, we registered almost 1,500 people for the Seacoast Half, and we challenge the beneficiary each year to use the race for additional fundraising through sponsorships.They brought in about $30,000 in sponsorships this year. We also give them 10 entries that they put up for auction (on Ebay) after the race sells out, and those have sold for as much as $300-400 each. If you add it all up, we brought in over $125K, some of which pays for race expenses not covered by other sponsors.

Ribs, your club race/fundraiser sounds terrific!

Congrats to CNY for finishing your racing season in a blaze of glory, with her team! Congrats to the kids for qualifying for States.

Lamerunner, I don't know why, but we don't seem to have all the paperwork to deal with that you do with MCM. Maybe part of the reason is that your prizes are much more substantial, so you have to do the tax form dance. All our bills aren't in yet either, but we have a good idea of where they will be, so we can estimate expenses against revenue and get pretty close. Bruce Hurley says 'hi.'

Looks like it was a wonderful get-together at the Posi house with Enke, DC, Fjordrunner (and DH), and EasyPacer.

Tet, at 9/10 after 8 I'll be right here at work.

I thought about sleeping in this morning, but didn't want to take the easy way out. So I got in 5.8 soggy, windblown racewalking miles at 4:15. There was a pretty stiff wind from the SW, and a drizzle that evolved into showers at times. I successfully avoided the deepest puddles, but that didn't stop me from getting soaked. Despite the weather, I was glad to be out there.

Enjoy!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

That's some impressive work, Jay. It's always interesting to get the "behind the scenes" take on these things.

Karin--quite the weekend for you--and an awesome racing season.  You are so consistently fast!  People in your new age group should watch out!

Blustery morning here as a front prepares to move through.  Whatever leaves were still on the trees are getting blown off today.

7 miler including a couple of MP-ish miles.  I feel sluggish, achy, tired, sore, stiff, tight, and tender.  Must be taper time. Roll eyes

Be safe. Be kind.

Mike E

MM #5615

Yep, Tramps--sounds like you're ready for Saturday.

King of PhotoShop

Karin, to answer your question, while I know many of the people who commented are definitely trail runners, the topic pretty much stayed with road racing.  But you raised a good point.  Maybe I'll do a follow up post on the characteristics of ideal pacers and sherpas.  Those folks are awesome.

4 at easy pace, but still on tired legs, my DOMS day.  I'll be normal tomorrow, to the extent I am ever normal.  Spareribs

lamerunner

Good afternoon. I was going to take a rest day today but I had some time this morning; DS had his physical scheduled mid-morning , so I went to   the rail trail and did an easy 7 miles. A bit wndy and raw but fine once I got rolling. And DS is officialy taller than I am now, only by 1/4" but I am sure he won't let me forget. We are almost exactly the same size actually, both height and weight-- does that mean I am the size of a 14 year old boy??

Jay, sounds  like a successful event for you. As I recall from talking with Bruce, some of your race management is done by a mangement company, so things may be different... Strictly speaking, we could require W-9s only for those who are getting more than $600, but our former treasurer was a CPA and thought we should get them from everyone, and several of the prizes are over $600,  plus we have some foreign athletes. So I require them from everyone who is getting cash, even though the masters awards are below $600 and even  though I am a bankruptcy lawyer not a CPA...

Sounds like Posie, Divechief and Enke had a great gathering!

Well, I'm back after a 4-day trip to the Washington D.C. area to go on a "Trail of the Assassin" tour that was very interesting. Did you know that the place where they caught up with and killed Booth is now in the median of US-301? It's a wide median, thankfully, but still... Anyway, I've got a bunch of household chores to catch up on so no hope of catching up with the forum happenings.

I usually try to run in the early morning on these trips, but this time it was just too dark and we were staying in a very runner-unfriendly location, so I took the days off. This morning I went out on a brisk 4 miler for my first sub-freezing run of the season. At least it was sunny, so nice conditions overall.

Sunday afternoon in Maryland it was sunny and 62F; I won't see that again until next April! When we got back to our cars last night the windows were covered in the frozen, icy snow that had just fallen. Naturally I hadn't put my scraper into the car yet, so I reverted to the old "credit card" trick, using the Hampton Inn room key that I still had in my pocket as an emergency scraper -- it worked great!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

TammyinGP

I've had a busy past couple days and unfortunately, no time to go back and see what I've missed, but wanted to jump in today anyways (although honestly, I always feel guilty if I can't at least skim and see what racing and running I missed from you folks over the wknd). . .

Woke up to heavy rain this morning. Glad I got in a 7 mile run yesterday on my day off since I'll be taking today off anyways. David's first basketball game is later this afternoon. Has another one tomorrow. He's now almost the shortest guy on the team, but has some of the best agility, so that helped him secure a spot on the team. Some of the 8th graders are as tall as I am (5'9").

Tammy

C-R

Way to tough it out Jay.

I get a feeling Tramps will be chomping at the bit by Friday.

Good luck with the DOMS, Ribs. I had a little of that yesterday from Sunday's racing. But it was my feet which was odd. But then again, my family thinks I am odd so it makes sense.

Lots of unsavory places in DC from a running vantage point Roch. As much as I travel there I still have to double check my locations. Sounded like a great tour.

I know what you mean Tammy. My boys have a friend here in the neighborhood and he's 5'11" as an 8th grader and he's considered short on his team.

Got 5.5 at lunch doing my little hill routine. Will run again with the kiddo this evening. Should be fun as there is a dusting of snow and it's about 25 right now. Hah.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

enkephalin great set of photos!  Although I see it is as grey out in the wild west as I am currently seeing out of my office window.

divechief I will second your shout out to the great hospitality at the Mariposai residence.

tetsujin209 it could be the time zone is important.  Your idea and coastwalker's idea of 8:09:10am are not actually the same.  You know each of you being on opposite coasts and all.

Holly S. err, what time zone?  See note to tetsujin209.  These things count, sort of, or maybe really not at all . . .

No running for me today.  Good thing too.  It is miserable out!  We had snow this morning!  Snow I tell you!  Run for the planes heading south!!  Really, I need to calm down.  Tomorrow I hope to get in a speed workout before heading to the office.  The weather is supposed to clear up later and stay that way.  I sure hope so!

I have mentioned the blog Running Research Junkie before.  If you are looking for a good moderately easy to follow commentary about what current research says regarding various aspects of running this is a great resource.  Anyway, I am bringing this up because he did a recent pair of posts called "The Key to Preventing Overuse Injury in Runners is Load Management" and "Why 'One Size Does not Fit All' When it Comes to Running."  Both are very interesting, although the latter post is a bit tough to wade through.  My take away from them is that we cannot currently look at somebody either standing still or moving around and from that offer up useful advice about what kind of shoe to wear.  Nor can we tell people what kind stride or foot landing would be best.  However, it may very well be that for a particular individual one shoe may be better than another as might be one kind or running style.  The bottom line seems to be we all need to just experiment a lot at this point.  So go out and try new shoe types, varying how you land, whatever!  I have recently been alternating across several shoe types and I wonder if that has helped with load management.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Yep, Tramps--sounds like you're ready for Saturday.

+1

Roch - nice trick with the hotel card, and I usually end up walking away with one of those by accident....

Lamerunner - DS passed me up when he was 12, but then, at 5"1.5" I am pretty easy to pass up.

Twocat - we got snow here last night, too.  Not much, but enough that I stayed on the TM.  I have to get used to it, I guess, and brave the icy roads, but not just yet....

16yo DS has his first girlfriend.  A bit shy around girls, I think, he is sort of a late-starter, although he commented to me recently that it was not for lack of asking.  Because of this, somehow I was surprised when I met her yesterday to find that she is quite the beauty.  And at least 4 inches taller than me, which somehow surprised me as well.  I guess I have to admit to myself that DS and his "little friends" are not so little anymore.  Undecided

4 easy-paced miles for me this morning on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Twocat, I am really into trying lots of different running shoe styles.  Can't find one that stands out better than the others.  They all have their pluses and minuses.

Holly, how cute!!!

For those (if there are any) that like both monkeys and virology, my paper (co-first author) is now in pre-print (which you cannot access), and abstract in pubmed:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24198412

Rest day.

Looking for an gentle trail 50K to do next spring or fall.  Mariposai is a bad influence on me!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

I am missing our weekend guests big time around here. Having Enkie and Dievechief at our house was really a blast. My DH and I were commenting on how fast the weekend went by.

Enkie, find a trail run and if is in WA state I will do it with you.

Great link, twocat. I will have to bookmark that link for future reading.

Enjoy your taper time, Tramps. When and where is your next race?

Erika, you are an inspiration with your house cleaning.

Karin, you so rock!

I was going to have a day off from running today, but then I looked at my work schedule for the week and it looks very ugly and not running friendly, so I went out for a 6 miles (a few minutes of sunshine glympse).  Then I added a 30' core workout.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

C-R and Patrick, nice 4K race.  Jay, you sure did a fantastic job of raising money for your beneficiaries.  jlynne, congrats to your daughter in law on her marathon and what a bummer for your son to get leg cramps bad enough to cause him to DNF.  More great pictures of the weekend at mari's house.  CNY, congrats to your son's team and to you on the fine running.

Nice long runs for ribs, fatozzig, and Twocat.

This morning, my wife had an endoscopy in Saginaw.  They predicted she would be out for 2-3 hours so I took my running clothes and took off for 8 miles when she signed in.  It was in the low to mid 20s and there was a light wind.  I was about a quarter of a mile from the end of my run and heading to the hospital when I got a call that they were done (after and hour and a half).  When I got there a few minutes later, my wife was still very groggy from the anesthesia so I was ok.  My pace was 10:58 and I wasn't in trouble.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

Looking for an gentle trail 50K to do next spring or fall.  Mariposai is a bad influence on me!

Let's see - Vermont 50 is something where the might be a get-together brewing in September....

And if you only want to be out the money for airfare, we have several trail 50Ks here in the spring and fall and you could stay at my house and we would love to have you!

I am trying to post a race report, but every time I put in a picture, it puts the picture at the very top of the post, not embedded in the paragraphs where I am trying to put it!  I have not had this problem before.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

lamerunner

Enke, there is also the Trail Festival at Pineland Farm in Maine, 25k, 50k, canine-cross something and barefoot 5k the day before etc. Very friendly, very hilly trails ( Xc ski trails)  and some fields with annoying footing, but a nice race.  I did the 25k once and the 50k the year I turned 50.