Masters Running

Not so Weekly Newbies and Others too! (Read 412 times)

Eliz, I think having a race ahead is a good motivator. You might want to pick out a 10k or 10 miler. I think you are beyond a 5k and need to step up to longer distances. Longer distances really motivate you to train. Speaking of races, Theresa, whats next for you? So cool of you to help out a new runner. See, we are really newbies anymore. Kevin, I did get the Norm/Cheers comment. Thats why I said everyone loves Norm. lol. Hey is that Cheers still open by Quincy market? Mike, running club. Its the best way to meet runners. I love mine. Have met some pretty cool people and friends from that club. I managed to squeak out 5 miles today and strong too. 47:52 minutes. I am going to treat myself with some Ben and Jerrys frozen yogurt. Oh and the run was spectacular! Ran around the res with clear blues skies and autumn leaves reflecting in the water. Next time I bring the camera. Didnt I say that last time?! lol Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Me

hello Everyone, Teresa, That is so cool to have someone from church look up to you like that. I'm sure you've inspired her. Neat. Linda, I have tried the breath rite nasal strips. They actually work pretty good. I was using them pretty regularly about 5 - 6 years ago. I know you are all right about doing the races for me. That's why I realized that I just need to get past the need for affirmation from others for this and just do it for me. Because I like to. I've thought about joining the Chattanooga Track Club. It looks like a big club and very active. Much larger and active than the one in Toledo. which seems kind of strange since Chattanooga is about 1/3 the size. I think they even have a race team. Well, I'm going to try to have one picked out by tonight. Looks like rain for my run tomorrow morning. Smile Cheers everyone. Mike
      Teresadfp

One day at a time

My friend e-mailed me that she did the first day of C25K today! I told her the very first time is the hardest, so she's on her way. Laurie, I'm not sure what's next! The next few Saturday races conflict with DS's end-of-the-season XC meets, and I hate to do any Sunday ones because I've missed church several times lately - that's an imposition on someone else, because a substitute has to count the offering for me. And then DD and I leave for our trip to South Africa the middle of November! I think there's a good 5k at the beginning of December I will do. Life gets in the way sometimes! Wink Have a good evening, newbies!
          Guilt, motivation - not sure what got me going today, but I just ran 4 miles. I think part of the problem is that I'm bored with how slow I am, so I did shorter (and marginally faster) running intervals and thus more frequent (and faster!) walking intervals. Ended up with a nice overall pace and didn't feel like a turtle the whole time! Felt strong at the end, too. Mike - ended up staying at the same school, but have a fantastic new classroom and essentially the same job I had two years ago, instead of the one with 30-35% more work that I was doing last year, in two schools with no room of my own and carpy rooms at that. Feel like I can really teach the way I think it's supposed to be done for the first time in my career. I'm feeding my need for sea air by going to the shore every other weekend - singing with a church choir there, too - and it's working out really well. Teresa - South Africa? That sounds awesome. Linda - never tried the breathing strips, but I'm already getting mega-winter overnight congestion. Finally took the neti pot down off the shelf and started using it. I hate it, because it makes me feel like I'm drowning in salt water AND in the junk that comes out of my sinuses, but it works wonders. Laurie - 10K? 10 miles? You're kidding, right? This is Eliz, the one with serious fear of racing! Actually, I was thinking about training for the half on the weekend of the Ocean Drive Marathon in March, but got hired to be a ringer with a choir in the city that's doing Verdi Requiem that day. Whew! Wink Will stick with 5Ks over the winter, but a longer event is definitely in the works for 2009. Kevin - hope DD is dancing well and everyone's enjoying your time with Mickey and friends. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

dg.

hi everybody. Mike! i'm so glad you're back. I've been meaning to e-mail you. Did you pick out a race? ("I'll expect that y'all will hold my feet to the fire on this."-- copied & pasted) I think it would be great for you to join the club. Linda, I'm glad you're doing better. good save. I have no nose answers, except, netti pot. it's not enough to buy one, you have to use it. What do you think was irritating your nerve again? Eliz, I was wondering about you! I like Kevin's plan for your race. but.. what do I know?? just noticed you posted while i was typing. yay for four. Kevin, that's very cool for DD, & the rest of you too. But it's always sounded like she's worked so hard. good for her. thanks for the reminder! I'm still doing pretty good, for me anyway. I'm a little tired this week, so I'll keep visions of duct tape dancing in my head. I start out meaning to do less, but then just don't... you know how you have a number in your mind that nags at you. I forget what's in the long threads too. I try to go back, & do, but it takes too long & I don't get to it. Like this time. WTG on your 1000 miles!! Big grin Teresa, that's so nice you're encouraging your friend. I haven't reported in a while. Sunday's run was pretty nice. cold! (30F) but after a while it was irq. 9.43, I think. Clear skies & sun, lots of swans. it's such a nice park, besides the attacking geese. Did I tell you guys that I had my first 10 miler the week before? Laurie.. I still feel new, I guess just because of having to start over so many times. but a little progress is not hard to take. 5 this morning with lead feet. So I guess that's it for that. I'm still doing the weight machines, but need to figure out when to schedule in some other things. Laurie, nice to hear you're up & around again. You were sick for a long time. How is Kim's knee? waving to Roberta.... hope your mom & your mil are ok. Mia... I hope things are going well for the person you're taking care of. I give you a lot of credit for that. I've meant to read more about it but haven't gotten to it yet. 4 cups of coffee induced thread hopping I understand very well. I'm not surprised you're a writer. your head hops too. -).

Me

netti pots. Tongue Dead my son in AZ says he uses one.Tight lipped Debbie, i wish you would have emailed me. although I'm not sure you have my new e-mail address. micklepickle61@yahoo.com I'm glad that you seem to be running well. 10 miles (yay!) Oh yeah, I'm thinking about the jingle bell run in Knoxville on 12/16. (That was my first race in Toledo 2 years ago) (Awwww, I'm such a sap) Mike
                Eliz, YES. I know you and races. You wont get over your fear unless you just do it. Isnt that what they say?! Just do it. Just go out there and sign up. You will have fun. I have been close to dead last before. Its still a blast! I am glad school things are better. Keep us advised. Mike, If the nasal strips work for the NFL then they will work for us. I might try them too. I dont care how funny I look. What club won out? First races always bring back fond memories. I like to repeat them too. Do the jingle bell! Theresa, life gets in the way of running and vice versa. If we could only give up our jobs we would have time for all the fun things in life. South Africa! Can Kim and I come? Why South Africa? Deb, there you are. 5 is good. Even with lead feet. Dont forget rest too. My big mistake. I never rest. I am learning though. Although learning the hard way. Seven for me today. Not strong but at least it was 7. As promised pics of my run. Paste the link in the address bar to get there. Beautiful, scenic, serene Ashley Res. Great fall folliage pics reflected in mirror glass water. Ahhh. Some things about westerm mass are really cool. http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w104/laddoms/Ashley%20Res%20Run/ Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Ran 4.5 miles in high-70s sunshine this afternoon to celebrate the day off from school. Cool Did my run 0.1/walk 0.1 for the first mile and last 1/2 mile and run 0.15/walk 0.1 for the in-between miles. Legs felt heavy, but I feel better after running than I did before. Funny how that works. OK, OK, I'm going to do a race! Had planned on it all along - the 5K across the bridge over "my" bay on 11/1. Will also do one of two 5K on Thanksgiving weekend. That's probably it until a 5K on the boardwalk on New Years Day. Any of you guys ever wear Crocs? I got a pair of flip flops at the end of the summer and love them. Last week got a pair of the clog-type ones (on sale!) and love them, too. They go on my feet right after I stretch and take off my running shoes. I even splurged and got two of those little jibbitz things to put in them - a hermit crab and a surfboard! Tomorrow's a casual Friday, so I might just wear them to school. Happy almost-weekend, all, Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Now attempting to paste an image. This is the morning view at Ashley Res in Holyoke. Awesome huh. Just one more reason to get up and run. Will attempt some tomorrow of Robinson park. Laurie

xor

Harumf. That does not look particularly Hawai'ian. It is quite spectacular, though.

lopez, I moved from Hawaii to here a few years ago. I have tons of great Hawaii pics on my webshots page. Here goes an attempt to paste a link again. http://travel.webshots.com/album/557819710whreNr There you go. Hawaii pics. Laurie

Rindaroo

Morning all!! Its been another rough week.. work is crazy getting home after 9 this week. Today was the first day all week that I've been able to drag myself out of bed to run. And get this.. I could breathe! I think that temps might have been cool enough to get rid of some of that ragweed (or at least that's what I'm hoping for). I did 2.85 miles on the treadmill this morning - including 2 miles straight running - woohoo Big grin

Me

Yay Linda! Wo wo wo whoa Laurie. You are changing your avatar way too fast for me. I can't keep up. We don't have any color change to speak of down here yet. I put in 4 this morning. It went very nicely. 60 beautiful degrees and then up to 83 this afternoon. Oh, and sunny too. (sigh). Supposed to be the same throughout the weekend too. (sigh) Cheers Mike
                            Rindaroo

2.5 miles straight running on the treadmill - 3.40 total with walking warmup/cooldown... feeling good Smile now I have to eat some breakfast & go in to work Sad
                                Mike, I do that to keep you on your toes. Thats me on the left. My new running partner on the right. Color must come much later down there. I think we are about peak season up here. Take a drive up here. I'll show you a great fall foliage tour. You guys are getting paid back now for all that summer heat and humidity. Good run. Linda, if the air is clearing up why are you still treadmilling it? I wimped out on a run today with the club. Woke up feeling like the illness was starting all over again. Body aches, head ache, weak. It seems to never end. Laurie