Masters Running

Not so Weekly Newbies and Others too! (Read 412 times)

lswife

Hi to everyone! I'm back from out of state. It's beautiful fall weather here, and it will get even cooler - great for outside runs. Or outside walks which I'll be doing for a week or so since it's been about 3 since I've done anything. I'll walk for a week or so and then begin C25K again. As long as I stretch daily, my PF isn't too bad - celebrex isn't helping 100% anymore. Good to read of your progress, even of problems, and of life happenings. My mother is recuperating at home from the broken hip (and 2 "complications") but doesn't need round-the-clock care anymore so I'm home; my mil (with beginning of dementia) is okay too - we worked that care problem out also. Both women are past 85 and have stayed quite active in their lives; people are usually surprised to find out their ages. While I was there, I saw several cousins, mostly my age (60). Some have arthritis and other soreness, don't do much while they baby their joints, and marveled at my running. Well, I have soreness too but still run. I know some of their health problems are real but wondered about some of the others. Comparing the two active, elderly women to my mostly sedentary cousins, I saw the benefits of staying active until we can't do anything more. I'd like to say life is settling down, hope so at least, but when does life settle down anymore? Go, everyone!
    dg.

Mike, I'm sorry. And I don't think I had your address, although I thought I did. Still planning on the jingle bell? did you join the club? do you not like sunny? or were those sighs of bliss? We are having a perfect weekend weather wise, except for record setting (it's gotta be) number of mosquitos. (sigh). but sunny. Big grin. Thanks. I'm happy about it too! Working on keeping it that way. heel & shins hurting lately, but I think I've caught it in time. Linda, that makes me so happy. I don't know how you are managing everything with work so crazy. 2 days in a row & an increase & you're feeling good! How long did you have to work today? Are you still doing the breathing stuff from your book? Laurie thanks for the pictures.. what a beautiful place to run. I hope you aren't getting sick again. what's going on, do you think? Hi Eliz. Smile Roberta, I'm glad you're back & that things are working out, even if they're not settling down. And that you're still at it! Interesting to see how differently things can turn out for people, isn't it. Have you ever tried the Strassburg sock for your PF? sorry if I already asked you that. things are about the same here. running 4 days a week, weights & etc. still a little undecided about the best approach. the guy I'm getting my therapeutic massages from is going to meet with me wednesday for a 1/2 hr to give me more things to do. that ought to be interesting! He's finally realizing that he doesn't need to push me-- that i'll actually do what he says. he used to always pad it because I guess most people don't. the results were that I think I was doing too much. but it's working out ok. It's really nice of him to take the time; he really is trying to help and is good at what he does. So I'm kind of excited about it. Long run tomorrow. should be IRC. Smile
      lswife

Strassberg sock? Nope, you haven't told me, but I'll google it to find out. Thanks!!!
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

I get to go to South Africa due to my folks' generosity. My dad is a professor who helped develop polymer concrete in the '60s, so he lectures on it all over the world. S.A. is their favorite place to travel - they've been there 6 times, I think. They took my boys and me in 2005, and this time DD10 and I are going with them. Words really don't do the place justice. To be just a few feet from zebras, lions, elephants, etc., in the wild is so cool! The number and variety of birds really surprised me - I'm going to take a bird book this time. Here is my favorite photo from our first trip (that's my reflection in the rear-view mirror):
            Teresa - your trip sounds fantastic. More info please! When do you leave, how long will you be in Africa, countries you'll be visiting, etc. etc. Is your DS excited?
            Rindaroo

Teresa - how cool! so when is the trip? Laurie - I have to work all weekend, & much earlier than I get going on the weekends.. so running started when it was still pitch black & very, very cold... 1) in the cold outside isn't just a bright idea right now.. 2) I am not running in the dark with the wild animals roaming around.. we hear cougars & coyotes going after deer at night, (in fact one doe was killed & left right next to our house about a month ago), and cougars have even been sighted during the day, plus signs of bears. Just not taking any chances. We are in the foothills of the mountains, & the hill right behind us is referred to as "Grizzly" around here... Debbie - glad you have someone helping you Smile I know how cool on increasing the second day, huh? Definitely have figured out next summer, I need to do allergy pills. Ragweed is everywhere & doesn't go away til the first freeze... after the experience this week, I know that is what's happening. I am not doing the breathing exercises all the time, but when I need to. I think my body is actually converted to being used to the medicine do the work, to it doing the work again. Big grin The cold is not bothering me as much yet.. but we'll see as it gets colder. It has been down to the 20's at night, low to mid 30's when I'm off going to work in the mornings.. Function with all this working time??? no everything just shuts down, I just can't do much besides work, sleep, eat... That's why I usually stop exercising too.. this time that started early in the week, & then I decided I had to just do it Worked yesterday from 9-5, going in today too. First due date is tomorrow, so hopefully, we have enough done to meet that. Then as numbers change we have to redo it.... But shouldn't be as many hours as this week as been. 3rd day of running in a row - shocking the breathing held out.. well it actually petered today, but that's ok. I know its because it was the 3rd day in a row. So, I was nice to the bod & only did 2.33 miles today, 1.5 miles straight running, rest walk warmup/cooldown. Okay running late, gotta go!!
                L's, youre back. I heard good things about the sock too. Seen it in Runners World. Youre an inspiration. Deb, sounds like youre doing all the right things. Jeez, you and I are learning so much about rehabilitation we could probably become physical therapists. I am happy to hear of your tenacity. Theresa, WOW! We want pics when you get back. Lots of them. Make an online album so the whole world can enjoy them. I love vacation and nature pics, especially animal ones. Linda, you could always run with a hunting rifle. The beasts could just make you a faster runner. lol. Glad youre breathing ok for now. I hope it lasts all winter and then some. The flu/cold is back. Yesterday and Sat were hell. Body aches and pains. No energy. Today is much better and I am going to attempt a short slow 3 mile run. The half is in two weeks. I have to be well by then. This time I have a very cool guy friend who I have been seeing for a few months coming to support me. I have to be able to run. I am captaining a fund raising team doing the Jolly Jaunt this year. So far I have 5 team mates and looking for more. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Me

Good afternoon everyone, Laurie, that sucks that you are sick. I hope you are back to 100% before your race. Linda, Is it the end of the fiscal year? Is that why you are putting in so many hours? I think I like Laurie's idea of running with some heat. "What's that sound in the woods?" - BLAM! "Is that a pair of eyes looking at me?" - BLAM! Teresa, That sounds so exciting. Wow, South Africa. Roberta, I am sorry about your parents. I know how frustrating is can be trying to take care of parents in failing health. Debbie, those were sighs of blissfullness. I had to ask someone yesterday. "Is this weather normal for this time of year?". The answer was "yes". (sigh) I am going to do the jingle bell run. There is another run in November but my son Matt and his girlfriend Maleigha are coming to visit from Phoenix for the 2nd half of November. (YAY!) I have not joined a club yet. I am pretty sure it'll be the chattanooga track club. 4 miles for me this morning. I'm off today (columbus day) so I slept in a little. Cheers Mike
                  dg.

Linda, you're amazing. I hope making time for exercise ends up helping everything else... more energy & feeling better. Yes, very cool to see that increase! & you were smart on day 3, I think. Just enough. Lions & tigers & bears! how are the kids? Teresa, how exciting about your trip! Roberta, let me know if you try it & it helps. I think it helped me, but I couldn't use it as much as I wanted because it hurt my calf. not sure why. What have your doctors told you to do (foot wise!) first thing in the morning? Laurie, I know. it's funny. my massage guy said last week that he wishes I was 20 yrs younger, so I could become a physical therapist--- because I'm always trying to figure everything out. Get better! good luck on your half. Mike, if you were sad about sun i was really going to start worrying about you. Nice Matt & his GF will be there. Will this be their first time? What's your running schedule these days? Nice you got in a run on your day off. I'm cutting back this week, not sure how much. Sunday went well, 12 miles. I feel better today than I thought I would!
                    Teresadfp

One day at a time

You guys are so nice! We're flying to London on Thursday, November 13. I want to show DD around a little, so we're staying until Sunday afternoon and then flying to Johannesburg (a 12-hour flight). On Monday, we'll drive to Kruger National Park and stay about 4 days at a couple of camps (enclosed with fencing to keep the animals out). We'll get up EARLY each day and start driving, looking for animals. I'm hoping to see a leopard and cheetah this time, because we never saw any of those animals last time. On Friday, we'll drive back to Jo'burg and stay with my dad's friend overnight, then fly down to Cape Town, which is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. It's at the very southern tip of Africa, and there are huge mountains jutting out of the turquoise water. We'll be there until the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, when we'll fly back to London for a brief layover, and then on to Boston. We'll drive straight to DH's sister's house in Brookline and DH will meet us there with our two sons. I'm thinking about running a 5K race Thanksgiving morning, but that might be a little ambitious. We'll be in South Africa the entire time. It's a huge country! Laurie, that's a great idea about the online album. Last time, my mom and I took over 1000 photos altogether! She put together a great Power Point show that my sons showed their classes. We leave 4 weeks from Thursday, and I'm already hyper. I think I will direct my energy into running more, because I will probably not be able to do much over there. Smile DD10 is excited but nervous. She's worried about great white sharks and rogue waves, lol! Where did she come up with those??
                      Rindaroo

Morning.. okay hit the overworked exhaustion (mentally & physically) wall yesterday... just couldn't get up early enough to run this morning.. will try again tomorrow. left work at 8:30 pm. & I thought yesterday would be better! lol Mike - you are very close.. it is quarter end, I work for a publicly traded company in the auto industry, and last two quarter-ends have been just like a year end. Sad Way, way too much going on with the current economy & issues for our industry. Teresa - I wanna go too!!!! Debbie - Well I guess cougars are kinda like lions & tigers, but not quite.. lol! We live in a farming/livestock/vineyards/ & deer roaming around area. Cougars/coyotes are usually spotted going after deer, sheep, goats, alpaca.. but, we hear way to much activity at night... Kids are doing good.. Things seem better on the 504 plan for DS so far, DD is cute & funny as usual Smile Laurie - lol! CYL!
                          Teresa-That is so cool!!! That sounds like a wonderful trip! You'll have to keep the BOP's up to date too. I would have never known if I hadn't lurked here! Vicki
                          Teresadfp

One day at a time

Teresa-That is so cool!!! That sounds like a wonderful trip! You'll have to keep the BOP's up to date too. I would have never known if I hadn't lurked here! Vicki
                            Thanks, Vicki. I'm on several boards and forget where I've posted what!
                              deb, why do you have to be 20 years younger? I think one can start a new career at any age. I would never go into a medical field because I hate biology. Yuck. Theresa, London. Now I am REALLY jealous! Your DD is going to have a blast and take home lots of memories and new knowledge. I will be anxiously waiting the online album. Linda, wouldnt less sales make you less busy? Sorry its like that. Listen to your inner thoughts and sleep. Sometimes its hard to determine where the line is between 'I must sleep' and 'I must get up and run'. Mike, what is your long run mileage these days? I got up and out yesterday even though my body said sleep. But I think that was the benedryl talking. I did 2 slow hilly miles with my old running partner. And that woke me up and charged me up enough to do 3 more alone. Then did 30 mins of run/walking with the clinic women last night. All in all a good day. I am almost 100% over the crud. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Rindaroo

2.7 miles today, including 2 mile run Laurie - The company announced a reorg plan a few months ago which includes selling off some of our dealerships. Last quarter they did a ton of writeoffs (which is a big PIA to track & figure out for tax) & this quarter they sold 5 dealerships, some property, and closed 2 dealerships. (btw that is in press releases). Since we're a public company, all of this has to be reported in the quarter it happened, and what I do is a mini-version of a the annual tax return with quarter numbers, estimates & activity that has happened plus some more accounting stuff... Anyway, all this creates a lot more work.. ahhh if it was just less sales, that would be so simple..lol.. CYL!