Masters Running

Not so Weekly Newbies and Others too! (Read 412 times)

Me

Good Afternoon, So, I happened to be in the Dayton TN Walmart yesterday, when I happened to walk past this kid that was trying to talk his parents into buying him a particular costume for halloween. He was holding this costume, showing it to his parents and trying to tell them how good he would look in it. The costume? An orange prison jumpsuit. I smiled and kept walking. Laurie, I have not been doing any long runs. Every run has been 4 miles. I just added a 4th run during the week on either Saturday or Sunday. My goal is to start increasing the mileage on that in a few weeks. I want to get used to the extra weekly mileage first. (call me paranoid). I had a great run this morning. 4 miles (see?) at a 8.6 mm pace. I think that may be a land speed record for the old Mikester. Linda, are all of these write-offs and sell-offs a result of the current state of Wall Street? I know that the auto industry is struggling right now for a number of reasons. Oh yeah, one more thing, I got the "Hey Dad I'm home from overseas" phone call the other day (at 1:30 am) Now I can sleep a little easier. Cheers. Mike
      I got a job at the shore! Well, it's part-time, and I'm keeping my "day" job in PA, but it's still pretty cool. The church where I've been singing in the choir off and on for the last few years needed an interim alto section leader/soloist, and I'm it! Going to try it out until the first of the year and then decide whether I can do the commute every weekend. This is my first ongoing paid singing gig. Smile AND I'll get to run in the flatlands of the Jersey Shore every weekend now. Ran 6.2 on the boardwalk last Sunday. Just in from 4.0 this evening. Mike - that Halloween costume sounds pretty scary. Kinda sad that a kid would even want it. Glad your son is stateside. Laurie - those are some amazing mileages on Benadryl. I'd make it about 5 feet on that stuff. Linda - I don't live near any farming/livestock/vineyard-y areas, but the deer sure are plentiful this year. There are several about a 1/2 mile from my school, less than 1/4 mile from a major 4-lane road, that act like pets the way they graze in a few front lawns. In my neighborhood, the squirrels have officially taken over, too. Deb - whoo hoo on the 12 miles Sunday. lswife - Betcha your sedentary cousins are secretly jealous that you're so active. Need to stretch more diligently tonight than I did on Sunday. Planning to run again tomorrow. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Mike, everyone knows whats right for them. If thats your plan then go with it. Any signs of fall yet? Eliz, thats the first step to getting there full time. Congrats. And sing for us some day. Make a pod cast and let us download it. I played an hour of soccer with the team last night. We had a parents vs the kids game and pizza party. The kids loved it. They beat us as usual, which they really love. But I woke with killer hamstrings from all the running so my run plans have been terminated. Going to float my sore legs around the gym hot tub and then stretch and then come home and baby them so I can resume tomorrow. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Rindaroo

Morning all - Eliz - how cool! I hopw the commute goes ok, & you can keep on doing the singing gig Smile Laurie - soccer kids vs parents sounds fun Smile MIke - Yay on hearing from your son!! & LOL on the kid & the costume... My little DD is going to be King Peter of Narnia.. no girly costumes for her..lol.. Credit crunch/wall street woes have just made things worse. My company was actually starting feel it the last quarter of 2007, a little earlier than most.. gas prices, change from gas guzzlers to economy cars, credit crunch etc.. Company has been doing lots of cost-cutting moves & reorg, & then wall street freaked out.. oy! But, they appear to be doing what it takes to make it & ride the roller-coaster. Of course, in business it is a VERY interesting time if you can separate your fear from it all. But of course, that means lots more work too... and alot of stress. Rest day for me today.. thought about running, but I am a little congested (think its a cold), and thought I wouldn't push it two days in a row. will wait til to tomorrow.
          stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hi folks--still recovering from our Disney vacation. Not much running, but you sure walk a lot!! Glad to see that everyone seems relatively healthy and happy while I was away. Mike--glad to see back at it and adding another day. Also a very quick pace. I think I need to add a 4th day, too. It's seeming to be too difficult to get the miles up with only 3 per week. Very good to hear DS is back safely. Hope no re-deploy in the near future? Deb--I'm a little slow, but huge congrats on the 12 miles. I just got yanked away for a work emergency--hate when that happens. More later when things calm down (I hope) Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

dg.

Mike, I think that's very smart. I keep reading that you should only increase one at a time but I never quite manage that, though lately i've been doing better. Not intentionally, i've just been slow! You were fast! that's great. And what a relief about your DS!!! When will you get to see him? Teresa, I don't blame you! I would be too. it sounds so great. Eliz, that's great news! congratulations. Can't wait to see where this leads for you. Thanks for my whoohoo! I was so happy Big grin. and a little surprised. Laurie, I hope your hamstrings are ok! speed kills. ;/. but it sure is fun. I'm glad you had a good time. {{{{Linda}}}}. hope the stress eases. and you don't end up with a cold. you've been doing so good. I've actually been cutting back this week, as planned. it's an odd week so my run/workout schedule is all mixed up anyway. Tonight, believe it or not, I am going to run with a group. mostly because I couldn't this morning, & it should be small & low key. Then i'll do a couple miles in the morning before weight machines, then LR Saturday. I'm not sure just how that will work, that has to be in the afternoon. I've always run in the morning. I just looked at the thread again before I posted this. welcome back Kevin! thanks very much. too bad about the emergency... fill us in more later.
              stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Emergency over, now I just have a little time before the long trek home. Train of though also gone, but we'll give it a shot. Eliz--sounds like your miles are right back up there. No need to fear a 5K (or even a 10 Smile ) must be a huge church if they have paid choir members. Shocked I can't carry a tune in a bucket, so I was never part of church choir, but they were always trying to recruit to fill the loft. do you have a spot to stay or is it going to be down and back? Laurie--soccer running is a lot different from running running, isn't it. Hope you weren't too rough on the youngsters. Linda--the job sounds stressful at the moment, think it's smart to keep a little time for exercise as a stress reliever. Sounds like you have sort of a narrow temperature range for ideal conditions--cold enough to kill off the pollen, not so cold as to irritate the lungs? Teresa--glad your DS was finally happy with a race Smile and now #2 has a target on his back! SA sounds great. I was able to take a couple of trips there in the late 90's for work. One to Durban, and one to Jo'burg. a beautiful country with amazing contrasts in wealth and living conditions. One side of a highway would have huge mansions with razor wire and armed guards and the other side a shanty town built with scraps of everything. Being there for work, I didn't get around a whole lot, but was able to take a trip to Umfalozi (sp?) game preserve. Have a great time. times up and the road beckons. see you all tomorrow. Have a good night and a good run. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Just in from running 3 miles. Made it back near the house just as the skies opened up. Doubled last month's mileage with today's run and ran 2 days in a row for the first time since the 15th & 16th of August - exactly two months ago, when I ran 4 miles one day and 3 the next. Weird. I think I'm back in the groove. Big grin Laurie - soccer sounds fun but painful. When I "play" "soccer" with the 6yo and 4yo godchildren, I'm always afraid I'm going to rip a knee and/or ankle apart. Kevin - church isn't huge at all, but there's a long-standing tradition of having a paid quartet. I think it started from some sort of endowment decades ago. I'll be staying at our family's "shore house," where I spend most of the summer. I love to talk about "our place at the shore" and let people THINK it's this big bay-front mansion, when in fact it's a really old, really small mobile home on the mainland. Would I love a real house on the island? Sure, but be it ever so humble, I'm sooooooo grateful that we have this place. Happy almost-weekend, all. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Rindaroo

Morning - Yep, sure enough its a cold... Tried to run this morning & only made it 1 mile before the breathing starting having trouble.. 2.2 miles in all with some walking. Eliz - sounds nice at the shore. When I was a kid, we spent some time at "the shore" at a house my Great Grandpa built. It was a block from the ocean & wasn't much, but we had the best times there! The town was Lavalette. So, are you anywhere near there? My grandparents also lived in Pennsylvania, & that was the get away from it all place. Kevin - Yes very stressful at work.. but things are starting to calm down for the quarter, or maybe its the lull before the storm? Yes not much of a window here... but I'm hoping I won't be as bad in the winter this year. The breathing seems to be a lot better since I went off the meds.. so guess I had developed a dependency for them. Also, it has gotten better since I've been doing allergy related things.. geez all those docs kept saying it wasn't allergies, & it appears that is exactly what caused the asthma!! The allergist is the only one who said he didn't think I should need all those meds, & his goal was to get me off them, he mentioned nose breathing too. But, it wasn't until I found that book that I learned "the how to do it".
                      Kevin, how was Disney? Did you do that race there? Get a good tan? Linda, those kids kicked our butts. So busy at work at least means your job is safe. Deb, the running helps me wake up from the benedryl sleep. I went out Tues and did 2 sleepy miles with slow running partner but then it woke me up to do 3 more decent miles alone. How'd the group run go? Eliz, just wait until the God children are 13 years old. Then the real fun starts. Linda, oh man. Sorry its a cold. The crud is going around. You seem like you have 2 steps forward and 1 back with the breathing. Dang. Hi Mike and Roberta. http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w104/laddoms/Robinson%20State%20Park%20Runs/ Link to my photobucket pics of todays run in the state park. Not as good as last week but still nice fall pics. 6 hilly miles for me today. A little slow but I had to stop to stretch, take pics, take my jacket off, adjust my ipod, etc. I was wearing out early and had to use my bag of tricks to keep my spirits up. Had to speed up the music tempo a few times. I found myself slowly bouncing along to Wonderful Tonight by Clapton. Not so good. Led Zeppelin works so much better for faster running. HEy good news. My running team for special olympics is up to 10 members and $600 raised! I hope to recruit a few more runners. I signed Kim up for it. Havent told her yet though, lol. She'll get over it. Its only a 5k. AND I get to meet and run with CNY runner from the boards. She's the one who does 6:50 miles. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Rindaroo

yep, 3 steps forward, 1 step backward... but hey its better than no steps. Still fighting the cold, but today I went outside & did 3 loops.. 1 walk, the other 2 - 1/2 run, 1/2 walk , was able to run the last little hill on the run 1/2 today both times - woohoo! Much better than I did 2 weeks ago. Here are some pics of the loop: Here is the hill I was able to run up today: This looks down the hill I've been walking up: This down the hill where I run down:
                          Linda, thats it! I am moving to OR. I am sitting on a heating pad for my poor hamstrings. Ouch. No running for me today. Maybe tomorrow. My cape cod relay partner backed out. Now I am frantically searching for a partner. Anyone want to come out and run the cape with me? Guaranteed to be a beautiful run. Plus its already paid for. Laurie

Just a bit of Robinson run yesterday. Laurie

Rindaroo

Laurie - owie on the hamstring!! & bummer about ypur Cape cod partner Sad Today I went down to the bike path for a relatively flat run. It might have been a little ambitious but I knew I would probably run too fast & have to do a run/walk.. well I didn't disappoint myself, lol.. did about 3.1 miles in all - about .8 warmup walk, then 2.3 run/walk - did 8R/2W/8R/2W/4R - then breath petered out, and walked the rest 9 mintues.. both miles were about the same, 13:45, 13:37 for the run/walk. Definitely ran faster than my body was used to... & it made me walk some..lol...
                                Linda, Cold air maybe hindering you? The cold air is killing my runs. Maybe we need to start using neck warmers to warm the air we breath in. 4.5 lousy miles for me today. Mild asthma when I got home. Its the cold air. I am not built for this stuff. I need to move to Miami quick. Laurie