Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 10.4.17 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Tuesday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (2.3 morning miles on tired legs)
    Tramps (20 gorgeous morning bike miles)
    Holly (5.4 miles in cool 55° temps)
    Henrun (2.7 morning reservoir loop miles)
    Twocat (1 hr. on the elliptical)
    Marj (15 bike miles)
    Quickadder (5.6 miles at 5am [5 with DD] in 76° temps with a breeze)
    Catwhoorg (12 short, sharp lunchtime bike miles, and 8 post-work miles with hillage)
    Tammy (running on XC course)
    Anzio (a few morning miles with run/walk intervals)
    Opus77 (5 afternoon miles with XC team and with aching neck and traps)
    Wildchild (7.4 lower altitude, snow-free trail miles)

Welcome to the newcomers - very nice to have you here! Post whenever you want, running or not. There appears to be some competition between Quickadder and Anzio. Quickadder - that is often my tactic too: find someone ahead of me and try to chase them down, then repeat.

Dry needling is nor my favorite either, Opus77.

Good race photo, KSA!

Thanks for the pic posting tip, Milktruck. I’m grateful, and it appears Twocat is as well. It's a bummer that, according to Evanflein, it won't work on my Mac.

Long conferences yesterday for both Mariposai and Evanflein. I hope you both recover.

I got up early this morning, and was going to go a little longer than usual, but it just didn't work out that way. So 3.3 easy RW miles in 52° temps in the dark this morning.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning, masters!    3.1 miles this morning in my new Brooks Levitates that I did NOT win during mile 21-22 of the marathon in the Brooks Challenge! (I didn't try- no way was I running up that big hill).   Like the shoes a lot so far.

Today is the 2 year anniversary of "Gotcha Day" for our 14 year old Golden Retriever, Jerry Jeff (JJ) Walker.  He was 12 when we adopted him and had had a tough life.  He is such a gift and seems to be going strong.  He weighs 130 pounds.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

...enjoyed twocat's non-pictures yesterday,

..............I had made up 8-things I thought they were........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

Another stunning autumn day here. I'm really enjoying these while they last.

Any other Tom Petty fans?  He was definitely part of my high school soundtrack. RIP.

My usual PT exercises + I did 4:1 run/walk (instead of 3:1) and went for 25 minutes (instead of 20).

That's what "progress" looks like these days.

Oh well, grateful to be able to enjoy the morning.

ETA: Great Petty song for your running playlist.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning, masters!    3.1 miles this morning in my new Brooks Levitates that I did NOT win during mile 21-22 of the marathon in the Brooks Challenge! (I didn't try- no way was I running up that big hill).   Like the shoes a lot so far.

Today is the 2 year anniversary of "Gotcha Day" for our 14 year old Golden Retriever, Jerry Jeff (JJ) Walker.  He was 12 when we adopted him and had had a tough life.  He is such a gift and seems to be going strong.  He weighs 130 pounds.

That's one big golden!  Definitely in the bonus years, but so glad he's living a better life with you.

Tramps--really like a lot of his songs and am realizing how many there were with all the lists that are now out.  He was actually younger than I had thought.

I walked to dinner last night--does that count?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, masters!!  Not much to say this morning, although apparently it's Cinnamon Roll Day in Sweden, so I'll just sit back with an imaginary cup of coffee and cinnamon roll and put my feet up on my imaginary ottoman and chill.  Anybody else want to join my fantasy? 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Dave59

Cats woke me up at 3:40 and I had trouble going back to sleep. I eventually got up and went to the gym for 45 minutes on the ARC trainer.

The worst software project I have ever worked on is probably going to go live tomorrow. It has me stressed but there shouldn't be any problems with it. 17 months, 3 different managers, and disagreements on the details that got personal. I'll be in high anxiety mode until this is installed and running smoothly for a couple days.  But it has been tested more thoroughly than anything I've ever done and results will be monitored for a few weeks afterwards, so why do I worry? Pride/vanity over making a mistake that is found out? Beats me.

Just got back from our two-day annual trip to see the ArtPrize competition over in Grand Rapids. Always enjoyable to see so many interesting new works in just about every size, shape, and medium you can imagine, distributed in venues all over the city -- hotel lobbies, museums, arenas, small businesses, etc.. And Grand Rapids is by far the best city in the state, with a very viable, walkable, and compact downtown area. Many good restaurants and LOTS of locally-brewed craft beers! Many works were serious, others more whimsical, and a few truly moving. We'll be back!

I guess I forgot to post my 6-mile trail run out at the lake on Sunday, but this morning I managed 4 miles at a decent pace for being somewhat off-and-on lately. It was a nice warm morning, but very humid with that about-to-rain feeling, although so far it's held off.

During the cold spell a couple weeks ago we thought we were having our last tomato of the season, but now that it's warmed up again it looks like a few more are turning red. I guess we won't be sure we've had the last until we finally pull the plants up.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

jtv

Cats woke me up at 3:40 and I had trouble going back to sleep. I eventually got up and went to the gym for 45 minutes on the ARC trainer.

Dave - I know the feeling well.  We have several that like to jump up on the bed, bite, and meow at the top of their lungs whenever they are hungry.  I usually get up and top off the food dish.  They just like a little fresh dry food, the leftovers from the previous night just aren't good enough!

Opus77 - Makes me remember the last time I had dry needling done about a year ago.  Had it on my calf in the evening, and hit the boardwalk with our club the next morning.  I think I made it about 1/2 mile before my calf said not today!

Tramps - I've had the Tom Petty channel on Sirius XM ever since.

4+ RW miles this am, including a 2 mile tempo in the middle at 11:17/11:10.

Enjoy your day everyone

Not sure why the forum is so sparsely attended today, but I wanted to say "Welcome" to the new RW refugees. It is nice to get some more actual "old folks" on here to keep the 40- and 50-somethings from showing us up all the time!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey folks!

I am also enjoying the new posters, even if I have not had much time to respond.  Going out of town for even a few days means working like crazy at work.  I barely use PTO, since I will end up working 40 hours in 4 days this week and next to take Friday and Monday off.  (sigh)

Dave - I like the idea of a Hershey Challenge.  I may pitch the idea to our wellness program.

RunnerKSA - that is a big Golden, and older than they usually get, right?  Must be all that good lovin' you are handing out.  My DS's GF's family has a very large 13yo Golden who is such a sweetie, always so cheerful and I swear smiling brightly.  I barely know her and it will break my heart when she crosses that rainbow bridge.

Re Pictures - I usually post pics at FB, then copy and paste here, sometimes going back and then deleting from FB.

So, 15yo DD yesterday was officially diagnosed as ADHD.  The doctor said it wasn't even barely, she scored well into the range by all testing.  She said that with bright kids, they can wing it through elementary, but when they reach middle and high school, the increased need for organization and study skills causes the problem to show up more prominently.  Somehow I feel vindicated that all her behavior issues have maybe not been caused by me being a terrible mother but by a chemical imbalance.  I expressed my reticence to do meds for her, but the doctor insisted that we try, at the very lowest dose.  She said that those with ADHD are not producing enough of one chemical, and their bodies try to over-compensate by over-producing another.  She said that DD may find a new ability to concentrate on her studies, pay attention without being distracted, and even be able to sit and read.  I sure hope so.

5 miles for me this morning in 65 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

It is nice to get some more actual "old folks" on here to keep the 40- and 50-somethings from showing us up all the time! 

That's one of the great things about this place--at 59, I still feel like one of the youngins' in here.  Thanks, roch, for being so old.

I went 12 miles, today--9 at tempo pace.  It felt pretty good.  I did my first 1.5 mile warmup with the kids, then took off.  By the time I got back to the school, everybody was gone.  I hope I'm not in trouble with the head coach...oh, wait...he's in his 60's, he'll have forgotten all about it by tomorrow.

Okay--I'd better get out of here before I'm hit over the head with a cane!  See ya!

spacityrunner

4 miles on west mountain tonight with the trail gang.  real slow as I had a grumpy knee and didn't want to make it madder.  by mile 3 grumpy was gone...Yeah!

Trails Rock!

wildchild

Carolyn

It was a gorgeous day here, so I went and ran a 12.2 mile trail loop at Centennial Cone Park.  No speed records, but I enjoyed being out.

Holly, I hope your DD does okay on the new meds.  I'd be skeptical about the meds, too, as a lot of doctors seem to be in the pocket of big pharma.  You should do research on the meds they prescribe and ask questions if you don't understand something or there are a lot of side effects.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Holly- he IS big!  He has a little bit of something else in him, although he looks mainly Golden.  I think that's why he's living so long.  Our last purebred Golden was also huge, but only made it to 12 1/2.   We have a 14 year old female that we adopted a year ago.  She's a sweetie and a lot smaller.

I hope the ADD meds work well for your daughter!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth