Masters Running

Friday December 4 Runs and Other Misbehavior (Read 398 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Lazy sort of morning today, giving the legs a rest (my butt and thighs are feeling yesterday's lunges/step-ups, in a good way, though), with no running and just some light upper-body x-training:  shoulder presses, flies, lying hammer curls, dumbbell presses, superman lifts, chin-ups, and stability ball crunches.

Taking off at noon to do some Christmas shopping with DH, then a relaxing family movie night at home tonight.  DS has discovered he likes westerns now, so tonight we’re watching Young Guns.

I’ve got tax training for a half-day tomorrow, and then DH and I are taking the kids to a magic show  - Spencer’s Theatre of Illusion – in a beautiful old theater downtown.   It looks to be a great show.

http://www.theatreofillusion.com/the_show.html

TGIF!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sounds like fun activities Holly.  Enjoy them!

I may be having a similarly fun-filled weekend.  Here's what may be going on for me this weekend.  I'm tired already just thinking about it!

• I decided to try a 5K tomorrow morning.  I'm not expecting much and I will be listening to my Hamstring closely while running it
      • Borrow a 12 foot stepladder from a friend so I can install a Porch Light
      • Put up and decorate our 12 foot Christmas tree
      • Decorate the outside of the house for Christmas
      • Watch the 1st half of the Florida/Alabama game - we won't be able to watch the 2nd half 
      • Go see the amazing Christmas Pageant in Ft. Lauderdale
      • Run 3 or 4 recovery paced miles
      • Sing at all three Church services on Sunday
      • Sing for an hour at a local Shopping Mall

I took today as a Rest Day given tomorrow's 5K.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

Byll - you're making ME tired just looking at your schedule.  Looks like fun, though!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly-That show looks like a great time. I love watching illusionists. So much fun to try to watch the misdirection going on. I got to learn some street magic a few years ago, can usually come in handy at a party or to get kids' attention in class.

Guilty as charged! (But old trail shoes make some great grass-cutting shoes.)

Wonder if Mary is digging out from the foot of snow that I heard was falling on her side of the state.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Doug, I love that strip!  The artist must be a runner!

I haven't posted in awhile because my running wasn't going too well.  But Nobby has offered to give me some online coaching, and it's already helping!  He convinced me to run even slower than I have been, since running non-stop had gotten so hard for me.  So today my friend and I started out SLOWLY - the hard part was convincing her it was worth it, but Nobby wrote her and that did it.  So I ran 5.1 miles non-stop, in 1:00:27.  A 11:51 minute per mile pace, but it really did feel wonderful.  I haven't run an hour non-stop in a few months, sigh, so it's good to finally do it again.  Nobby had us do a hill workout on Wednesday.  It was fun to bound up the hill instead of just trying to survive it!  We did 4 repeats.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!  I need to call home, because they're predicting snow in Austin.  What the heck, we don't have any in Maine!  I'm going to see if the schools down there closed for the day.

TammyinGP

That's a funny cartoon! When I walked out our front door today, I had about 4 pairs of running shoes lined up and a couple pairs of sandles. Those running shoes are not ones I currently wear either. They are some of the retired ones. We usually have a covered wooden shoe box outside our front door to dump out shoes in before coming in the house in the summer time. Well, we put the box away during the winter so that it doesn't get overly wet. DH emptied the box out last night and lined them all up for me to do something with . . . guess it's time to officially get rid of them, as I probably have another 4 prs in the house that I actually do wear. . . .  I realize my 8 prs of running shoes probably pale in comparision to what some of you have  

looks like another non-running day for me. Working all day, then my mom and I are going out to dinner at a new mediterranean restaurant and then going to a program at church for the ladies called "An Elegant Christmas" - they usually have a few speakers, a bit of interactive discussion and some desserts. Should be a nice evening with my mom.

Tammy

dg.

Yay!  Hi Doug!      How are you?   

guilty as well.    but the wine bottle idea was a new one... I'll have to try it.

I saw DAave this morning, & he mentioned a local 5K that is tomorrow at 4.    I've been thinking about it.. but they bill it as silly & hilly.   With increased hills & a little bit of speed my hamstrings have been talking to me a little again, too.    I keep changing my mind about what I should do.  I'll run a mile or 2 with sadie in the morning (also hills, can vary the degree though) & want to do 12 on Sunday. 

Teresa, I'm so glad!     I was thinking about you during my run this morning. 

Beers have been traveling?

Holly, I have to smile at your lazy morning.

you're right, Byll's weekend makes me want to take a nap.  

Bill, sorry if I already asked you this.... when you run easy, how easy is it?  & what gauge do you use?

It really seemed cold this morning.  It was somewhere around 25F, w 12 mph winds. I did another attempt at easy, but didn't look at the numbers this time, just went by feel.  Supposedly that isn't enough for the low heart rate thing but  I can do it & not go stark raving mad... I hope it will do some good!   7,25 miles, 10:23 ave. pace, 8:06 max (a strider at the end). 

Good afternoon gang!

Holly - have a wonderful afternoon and weekend!  Sounds like fun!  How was the birthday celebration?

Bill - wish I was as organized as you.

Doug - I want to know how they got a picture of my closet.......very funny and so true.

Craneium - I've been eyeing the Pittsburg marathon as well - I like what I've read, but I haven't talked to anyone who has actually run it.  Keep us posted if you decide to give it a try.  Glad to hear everything is going well on the home front.

Teresa - glad you posted and sorry to hear that the running hasn't been going well.  Sounds like your new training program will be a good fix - good luck and keep posting!

dg - 25 degrees with 15 mph winds IS cold - no seems about it.  I bow to your ability to run in that weather and do so well!

No run for me today - in fact no nothing exercise wise.  I decided to give myself a complete rest day.  Well I did take Jesse out for a short run, but that doesn't count.  DH and I are taking the train to New York City tomorrow to see White Christmas on Broadway.   The weather was looking good, but now they are predicting some of that white stuff that shouldn't be mentioned.  

Everybody have a great weekend and get after that Christmas shopping!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Bill, sorry if I already asked you this.... when you run easy, how easy is it?  & what gauge do you use?

DG, Tinman sent me a spreadsheet of recommended paces, which he based off of a 22:49 5K I ran last Summer.  It has the following:

Slow 10:23

Easy 9:44

Moderate 9:10

Long Tempo 8:40

Short Tempo 8:13

Mass (?) 7:49

CV 7:28

Aerobic Power (?) 7:09

Max VO2 6:51

Marathon  3:38:13  (8:19)

Half Marathon  1:44:46  (7:59)

10K  47:32  (7:39)

5K  22:49  (7:20)

When I first started training with him I had to consciously slow myself down as I was running most everything at what I call my "sweet spot".  For a while I had to watch the Garmin to make sure I was running the right paces for the workout of the day.

After a while, I just sorta developed a feel for "Slow/Recovery" versus "Easy" versus the faster paces and stopped looking as I was running.  I have been going faster than he specifies.  But I'm still trying to make the effort feel easy and the HR stay low.

Tinman: "Training Terms" 

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

One hour of hills on a crisp and beautiful morning in the PNW.

My friend signed up for the Seattle Rock & Roll half, she won her age group this time around ,so she's a good motivator, and got me thinking about whether to do the full or the half...who's in this year..???  I'm probably leaning for the full but I'll ponder the decision for another couple of days.

Off to work now. Happy Friday!!

Francesca

evanflein

Francesca, that race sort of "did me in" on the big race thing. Other than Boston and maybe one or two other "headliners" in my future (I would like to run Chicago...), I'm going to try for smaller marathons and less pavement, if at all possible. The weekend-long party we had this past summer sure was fun though...!

Byll, long tempo at 8:40?? That sort of tosses out my idea of what a "tempo pace" should be. Interesting.

No run for me today, either, except in the pool tonight. That's the plan. DH has my car again today (why is it that everytime he offers DS1 his truck, I end up stranded without a car??), so we'll see what really happens.

It's chilly today at -8°F this morning, but we're expecting another warming trend for the weekend. High tomorrow could get up to 30°!

Byll, long tempo at 8:40?? That sort of tosses out my idea of what a "tempo pace" should be. Interesting.

Erika, Tinman has more pace breakdowns than most Coaches have.  Most Coaches use of "Tempo" equates more to Tinman's Mass or CV paces.

This article might be helpful:  Tinman: "Training Terms"

Bill

dg.

Thanks Bill.  that might help me figure this out!  My numbers don't seem to make a lot of sense when I plug them into any kind of calculator.        What I need, is more speed.   As well, I know, more slow.     I plugged your 5K & my 5K into Mcmillans thing, & will compare that with Tinman's numbers.     But, I'll do it later.. I'm really tired & I'm lost deep inside a nested "if" statement.    If you don't hear from me in a few hours, send help.  ;-)

Perch, any knee news?

erika....  maybe maybe when you do Chicago I could too.  Smile

Love the title of today's daily.

Cartoon strip.....   < Taking a pair of retired runners to my pickup so I can haul wine./>  

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM