Masters Running

2010 Lilac 5K RR (Read 309 times)

Ok, ok here it is.

We spent ten weeks training, building up to run a 5K this spring. This is the second year for this program with 5th grade students. We have a nice setup at our school. We have some paved walking trails on our property that links the school with the local neighborhood. We generally run a horseshoe loop with a cone at each point of the horseshoe. We go around the cones and stay to the right. It works out really well as a full loop on the shoe is 1/2 kilometer. We use this to talk about figuring out pace and seeing how ready they are to complete the distance. The students also keep a running journal and we work on goals and race plans. We even included a training day where we set up a table with cups of water on it so they could practice water stops. That is generally splash park day. We have been lucky as we ran outside every day but 1 during training.

18 students started in the program. Two dropped out because it wasn't what they were expecting, 2 were not able to run the race because of other commitments. 14 Students made it to the line on Sunday. The weather was in the low 60's and the humidity was down. The course is hillier than what the kids are used to, so setting a PR is tough for them there. We met in a big parking lot well before the race. Parents and kids were there for warmups and final instructions. Everyone, that is, but Sammy. Sammy is a very gifted runner. Not only is she fast, she's a smart runner, but even more importantly just a great kid. She is always smiling, always encouraging and happy for others. She was nowhere to be found. We waited as long as we could, then headed for the start without her. We brought her number just in case.

Four minutes before the race starts and Sammy shows up. She was upset about being late, but we got her calmed down, pinned her number on and got her ready to go. When the horn sounded we were off. I was so proud of those kids. They went out at very reasonable paces, none of them blowing up by going out too fast. They waited until they had space to pass, and held lines very well. They were definitely going to make me look good today, regardless of times. About 1/2 mile in people started to settle into their places and paces. Sammy stayed on my shoulder. She told me she wanted the school record (24:52) so I told her I would pace her for that. We passed her older sister right around then. A group of 3 of our boys settled in shortly behind us.

We hit whe mile mark at about 8:30. I asked Sammy if she wanted to try to go a little faster and she said yes. Away we went picking off runners as we went. The boys picked up their pace as well. We hit the water stop just before 2 miles. Sammy said she wasn't getting water. That was ok with me, I even got to say hi to a former college volleyball player who was volunteering there. We hit the 2 mile mark at 16:45. We had picked up pace but with an uphill finish a record was unlikely. I asked Sammy if she had anything left. She said yes, go and I will try to stay with you. We pushed uphill. Sammy fell back a little but said go I am going to try to catch you by the finish.

Running up the finishing stretch I passed Sammy's Mom, who was also running in the race. I told her Sammy was right behind. She passed her Mom to win family honors and set a PR of 25:59. She was beaming at beating 26:00.  We had  four other runners, Brandon (26:27), Lance (26:41), Cameron (28:48) and Sam (28:49) that broke the 30:00 barrier. The runners all finished, mostly smiling, and all under 40:00. All their hard work had paid off.

Our group

wildchild

Carolyn

Yay for you and the kids!  You make such a difference in their lives, and I'm sure they'll remember you.  You've got some speedy 10-year-olds there.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Slo

Your giving these kids something they will remember for the rest of thier lives.

Nice Work !

Wow, that photo says so much.  Every kid has an ear to ear grin on his/her face!  Way to go Craneium!  Great report too.  I think this is a very pivotal time in their lives w.r.t their attitude towards exercise.  I joined an early morning jogging club in grade 7 when I was overweight and unathletic.  It was painful sucking wind all the time and running in the snow with wet track pants on.  But after awhile I realized I could do it.  By the next year I was into other sports and not the least bit overweight.  I still remember the enthusiasm of that gym teacher on our early am jogs, like running was the most fun, easiest thing in the world.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

dg.

Craneium this made my whole day.    I think too, you've made such positive impact on the lives of these kids.  WTG to you & to all the kids.    Thanks for writing your report.

BlazinCajun

Every middle school should have a program similar to what you put together. I think group training with 5th graders is the way to go. My daughter is in sixth grade and goes through times of low motivation depending on what sports program she's currently envolved in. She becomes more motivated when a peer calls and asks if she would like to go for a run. You have done an awesome job and deserve credit. The tools that you have taught/exposed to the children will be remembered for a long time. The photo is great. Wonderful!

Andrew

Andrew
              ------------------
              God, my Lord, is my strength;
              he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
              and enables me to go upon the heights.
              Hb 3:19

Marathon Maniac #957

Craneium - this report made my eyes a little moist - this is so awesome!  It will indeed have an impact on these kids for many years to come.  What a wonderful thing you are doing with them!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I think the biggest kid there has the biggest smile.   Great work with the kids, Cranieum!!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Cranium, you are the best. What a positive role model you are for these kids at a time in their lives when they all really need them. All of your runners look so proud and joyful on their picture. Which one is Sammy?

From a woman who was an overweight couch potato at that age, thanks for helping these kids feel good about themselves.

SteveP

It's easy to see what these kids mean to you. Events like this help develope a good self image. Many Kudos to you for sharing your gift the way you do.

SteveP

coastwalker

Hi Craneium,

This is just so cool! As everyone else here has said, you deserve great kudos for being such a positive influence in these kids' lives, for teaching them the value of regular exercise, for helping them know that they can set and achieve goals, and for helping them experience the joys of running.

I hope every kid in your group gets a copy of that wonderful photo!

Congrats,

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Congratulations to you and the kids, craneium.  As everyone has said, you are doing a great thing with them.

TomS