Masters Running

Fridaily, 12.15.23 (Read 41 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Great work on the intervals, Dave, and on achieving runner's high. But I'm glad you didn't waste it at the mall. No need to apologize about doing your job.

Good 3.6 crisp, sunny morning miles, KSA. Good that you've got spare monitors.

Nice 2.75 miles in 26° temps, Holly. Did you figure out the Garmin problem?

Good 5 miles in IRC, Tramps.

I agree, Tet, that the first time taking those bandages off, and not knowing what will be underneath them, was a bit unnerving. But the reality is rarely as bad as what we (I) imagined, so I'm glad that you went ahead with it, and that it's OK. And yes, you do need those bandages, as Lamerunner said, for a while to help prevent infection because you surely don't want that. Keep doing those prescribed exercises because that work will pay off in the long run (or walk). And I'll take those six weeks, and you are welcome here anytime.

Sorry that Tucker is joining Chico in not eating, Leslie. But it sounds like Chico may be rebounding, and hopefully Tucker will as well.

I'm glad that you're feeling better, Norm, and that you got to London on your Peleton ride.

Nice work on the elliptical, anneb. Any workout is great to read about, so I am excited!

Congrats on making it outside for 5.1 morning miles, moebo.

Hi Lamerunner! Good work on getting out for a walk, and mixing it up with yoga and swimming. It appears that your new knee is behaving itself, which is great news. Have fun on today's hike.

Good fast 5 miles, sub7, followed by 30 minutes on the elliptical, and some weights work.

Good "not going crazy" work with weights, Tomwhite.

Hi Erika! thanks for the update on your surgery, recover, and release from the hospital. I'm very glad that you are making good early progress, and that Peter is there to be a good check on you so you don't overdo it this early in the process (and it IS a process).

Sorry about the rain, Enke. I hope you got good news at the review.

Nice sproinky 2.2 mile walk, Doug, with library work and Christmas baking added in.

Busy day after your 5.75 run/walk morning miles, 20 minutes of core and stretching. Interesting perspective on how the candy is priced, and customer reactions to some of the changes.

Good walk and runs with the dogs, dnaff. Sorry about the incoming rain.

Hi Stumpy - good to read the perspective of the newly retired.

Nice 45 min PZ endurance ride and some stretching, Deeze. I'm glad you are keeping an eye on your knee, and that it is feeling a little better.

Enjoy Brooklyn and the subway workouts, Henrun.

I'm glad you got some PT done, Steve, and that all the bosses appreciated your good work in the "take names and kick butt' project. It is never too late for that kind of well-deserved recognition.

Interesting thoughts and observations on the economy yesterday. It is clear that it is not impacting everyone the same way, and that there are differences in different pockets of the country (and, apparently, in different aisles at the grocery stores). No matter the state of the economy, as Tramps noted, there will never be consensus on its impact because of the many different variables that affect each of us.

I found the discharge notes that I got after my surgery that clearly state (hand-written) "non-weight bearing". It is in a folder from a Patient Relations Coordinator at the hospital, so I am going to send a letter to her and my surgeon that details all the differences that miscommunication caused, not the least of which was the pulmonary embolism which I doubt I would have had if I had been able to get up and move around on our flight to NM, and the ensuing full day in the ER there while they tried to figure out what was going on.  Also, if I had been weight-bearing, DW would not have had to do so much extra work every day because of the limitations of trying to keep all weight off that leg.

Oops - I just got notice that I'm being called into a Zoom meeting, so I'll come back later to finish ups.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Jlynne

I found the discharge notes that I got after my surgery that clearly state (hand-written) "non-weight bearing". It is in a folder from a Patient Relations Coordinator at the hospital, so I am going to send a letter to her and my surgeon that details all the differences that miscommunication caused, not the least of which was the pulmonary embolism which I doubt I would have had if I had been able to get up and move around on our flight to NM, and the ensuing full day in the ER there while they tried to figure out what was going on.  Also, if I had been weight-bearing, DW would not have had to do so much extra work every day because of the limitations of trying to keep all weight off that leg.

Right?! Make that a "forceful" letter Jay!

Lots to comment on, no time. 4.5 miles in amazing 32 degrees with a little wind out of the SW (rare for this time of the year here), and 20 minutes of stretching and core stuff.

Off to meet the throngs of candy lovers...

Thanks, Jay.  I hope our recovering folks (Erika, Tet, Jay, Leslie's fur babies) have good improvement today.   Jay- I think the hospital/doc should throw some $$ at you- especially with the embolism situation.  Write a good letter.

Great singer-songwriter night last night.  One of the guys wrote Luke Comb's first hit with him.  It's hard to describe these events- it's just 3 guys (or women) sitting on stools on the stage with their guitars and playing and talking about the songs and their careers.  It's just so great.  Small renovated theater in our town- free parking and 8 minutes from the house.

Going to take Ken to PT and run while he's there.  Happy Friday.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Jay - hopefully your letter will save the next person from going through the same things you did. Like Deez, I am surprised there was not a 1 to 2 week follow up, where you would have discovered this.

Tet - I bet it felt so good to get that tight bandage off!

and I just end up looking foolish.    

Clearly that has never stopped ME!  

If I relied solely on my own experiences—and those of friends, neighbors, etc.—I’d get a wildly distorted and limited view of the nation.

To be clear - I am not at all trying to say that what is going on in my world is the same for the rest of the nation, or that I am talking about the economy as a whole.  But all those happy govt. polls that are touting how wonderful the economy is, how wages are UP and inflation is DOWN, have not called MY house, or those of anyone I know IRL in southern Ohio.  And neither DH nor I have jobs that are likely to see much if any wage increases in the near future.  Maybe all those polls are calling a better class of worker to get their answers, not the basically blue-collar workers like us (or the people on fixed incomes).  That's not to say that things are BAD for us, or that we are STARVING.  We are very fortunate - we both have jobs, our mortgage is reasonable, we have everything we need (and a lot of frequent flyer miles  ).  But we have been feeling the crunch and cutting back due to the higher prices we are paying.  Maybe we are not joining the SPEND, SPEND mentality that the news people talk about because we actually live within our means, and pay our credit cards off every month.  How many of those exuberant shoppers are just running up credit card debt for the new year?

But I do see that my 401K is rebounding and that gas prices are coming down, so I feel like we are turning a corner.  Hopefully the grocery and goods prices will start coming down, too.

Our Christmas gifts are going to be very utilitarian with a newlywed couple and two boys just starting out. Lots of household goods (mostly off Facebook marketplace and Nextdoor - yeah I'm parsimonious)

Same here.  Gifts we are giving include a heated mattress pad for DS/GF (they live in an old house with high ceilings, so their bedroom is pretty cold), cast iron skillets and a cervical neck pillow for DD, sweater for work and belt for DS, a package of workboot socks for DD's BF (after seeing his holey socks in the laundry when he was practically living at our house, I now give him a big package of them every Christmas).  And one of the gifts to DS is a used flannel shirt I got at a thrift store (hey, it's really cute).   SO, very little in the way of FUN stuff....

DH took today off work for his brain scan, so we slept in a little later.  I got in about 40 minutes of weights and core before work.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

The usual boring kettlebell workout this morning.

We're coming up on an election year and a democrat president is running for reelection. The NY Times and other big media outlets will be emphasizing all the positive aspects of the economy. If a republican was running for reelection the stories would be about the food banks running out of food because of the high demand, and the middle class getting squeezed by the continuing inflation.

Thanks, Jay.  I hope our recovering folks (Erika, Tet, Jay, Leslie's fur babies) have good improvement today.   Jay- I think the hospital/doc should throw some $$ at you- especially with the embolism situation.  Write a good letter.

That's exactly what I was thinking as well!! Especially for those out of pocket expenses you incurred!!

30 minute full body strength, 30 minute PZ endurance ride, 10 min low impact ride, 10 min arms and light weights, 5 minutes standing core, 10 minute full body stretch

denise

Henrun

After a good night’s sleep Marj and our SIL went to a Pilates class. I walked to a local coffee shop for a hearty breakfast followed by a 44 minute walk in a sunny 40’s temp. Supposed to hit the mid 50’s today. Nice to walk in a different area.

C-R

Morning all.

Looks like the crud is on the way out. Had a nice night run with some friends last evening. I overdressed. Rookie mistake. Air temp + 20. Ugh. Had my FTP test this morning on the bike. Man those are a challenge. Numbers increased slightly so I guess the work is paying off.

Denise - a live shoutout is so cool and 500 is awesome. I'm only at 167. Also, I like his classes. Denis' FTP rides are very good. I'm also a big fan of Sam Yo, Brad Wilpers and Emma Lovewell's classes. My screen name is IrishNorm88 and I started following you. Ok enough Peleton geeking.

Good approach Jay. Things like that shouldn't happen but process errors are abound. Hopefully you can remind them to pay attention to detail especially since it healthcare.

That sounds like a great spot Karen. We went to the Listening Room recently for the same treat. Great stories about songs that these guys wrote over the years.

Glad people are healing up. Likely no run today. Think I may do some yoga later.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

bioguy

Last molecular biology exam last night. Whew- I have now finished the most difficult course in this program. I'm taking a microbiology class and a genetics course starting the second week of January.

I think Im skipping exercise today so Mrs Bio and I can go to an early showing at the movies and then grab a bite to eat.

Bioguy

TammyinGP

Good Friday Morning
                      Hard to believe Christmas is only a little over a week away. We have almost all our shopping done and we scaled back this year, and haven't had to charge anything like I usually do (knowing that in January I almost always get a bonus so can pay off what I bought).  I only have a couple gift cards to pick up as stocking stuffers for DH and DS.   Instead I can tuck away all my bonus (that hopefully we'll get!) and then use some of it to pay off our vrbo reservation for a trip in April.

Now I need to figure out what I'm going to contribute to the Christmas dinner that my mom and dad are making. We are doing chinese food this year.  

Fridays in the office mean we almost always close at 3, but regardless of whether we close early or not, I still plan on leaving about that time and getting in a run this afternoon.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

We are doing chinese food this year.  

DH is a county inspector for local pipeline projects and has been working recently with a project going on at Fuyao (a glass manufacture here in Dayton).  Pretty much their entire workforce is made up of Chinese people they have brought over to work there.  They also brought over a staff of Chinese cooks to provide meals in their cafeteria for their employees.  Since DH has been working with them all week, they have been wining and dining him (okay, no wine) with a startling array of Chinese dishes, and he has been bringing some home.  Some of these are foods I have never had before (like these dumplings filled with Mongolian beef) and it has been really cool to sample them.

Dave - 

Karen - I would love to go to one of those!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

That Chinese food sounds fabulous.  Norm- did you see the Warren Brothers at The Listening Room?  They perform there a lot and are awesome.  We've seen them once there and more recently here in Franklin at the Theater.

Holly- you would love it.

My run wasn't great.  I had to cross some streets with the Walk signals from Ken's PT place and I messed up my Garmin and lost .2.  I knew this since I also wear an Apple watch, so I fixed it on Strava and RA.  I never felt great, it was hilly and even though I was on a path/sidewalk, there were cars whizzing by me a lot of the time and it just wasn't a great run.  I was overdressed for when I was in the sun, but not for the shade.  I got 4.3 miles done, which was the goal.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

The epidemic of antisemitism across cities and in particular college campuses has left me quite shocked and upset. I left the forum because I did not want to bring it here. That shock has not dissipated, but then yesterday's discussion about economics was right up my ally and made me decide to return. I guess had I run a 100 mile race that might have done it too. But then, I would likely have needed my ghost to report in. 

First, though, coastwalker what a cluster f***! Everyone in the system should go back and figure out what went wrong and make sure it cannot happen again.

About the economy. I pulled some data from the St. Louis Federal Reserve's website on US data. Real disposable income for the last several years. The data is reported at an annual rate, so I have averaged it over the year, from November to December.

2019: 47,070

2020: 49,731

2021: 51,718

2022: 48,447

2023: 49,746

At the same time real per capita GDP has been (this is quarterly ending in July),

2019: 62,196

2020: 61,196

2021: 63,603

2022: 65,382

2023: 66,321

Normally, you can just follow GDP to know how things are going, but here we have the rather odd case where real disposable incomes are down while real GDP is up. I have not looked into what is causing the disconnect. But it is unusual. However, with real incomes down from 2021, people that rely on their income to finance their lives are in fact economically worse off today than they were in 2021. Which is why a lot of polls show Americans are unhappy with the economy. At the same time, real per capita GDP is up, meaning we are producing more which should lead to an overall increase in per capita consumption. Which means that people who have non-income sources of wealth are likely to see things as better than ever (the Dow hit a new record yesterday). From the perspective of each group's personal life, their view is right.

In running, I ran the Rocket City Marathon last Sunday. I am happy to report I broke 4 hours for the second time in a marathon since having my hamstring reattached! I am really happy about that, especially given how hilly the course was. I also managed a 4/42 in my AG. Maybe there is hope that at some point I will once again finish a marathon under BQ time.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

with real incomes down from 2021, people that rely on their income to finance their lives are in fact economically worse off today than they were in 2021.

Bingo.  DH and I have no non-income sources of wealth that we can access.  Our retirement accounts are just that - for retirement.

So, what is "Real Disposable Income?"  My ACTUAL gross income is $49,000/year.  How much of that is disposable depends on what I have left after I pay taxes and then my bills, right?

And Well Done on your sub-4 at Rocket City!

anneb

And I thought it was possibly a mention of the elliptical that brought Twocat out! Congrats on another strong marathon.

The epidemic of antisemitism across cities and in particular college campuses has left me quite shocked and upset. I left the forum because I did not want to bring it here. That shock has not dissipated, but then yesterday's discussion about economics was right up my ally and made me decide to return. I guess had I run a 100 mile race that might have done it too. But then, I would likely have needed my ghost to report in. 

I too am shocked by the wave of antisemitism.

Anne