Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 6.26.17 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sunday’s workouts:
    Tramps (knee/hip exercises + 20 min 1:3 ratio walk/run)
    RunnerKSA (8.1 struggling morning miles in gorgeous weather)
    Henrun & Marj (couple of wooded paved trail morning miles in Indiana)
    Sapcityrunner (4.5 early morning, pre-breakfast trail miles with friends)
    Catwhoorg (12.7 miles including 7 X 1200 VO2 max intervals)
    Tammy (2 morning miles with the dogs)
    Holly (4.6 morning miles with bloody foot, + 50 min of weights & core)
    BerthaSlayer (start of pushup training)
    Tomwhite (30 min on bike in 4th gear with hillage and challenges)
    Catwhoorg (2500 pool yard in Lava pants)
    Twocat & Mariposai & EP (10 morning trail miles)

Evanflein (8.3 very wet, rule-violating miles)

Interesting-looking dog, Tomwhite…

Interesting different takes on a bike, Tramps. Thanks for the cartoon - no, Sisyphus doesn’t look quite so happy.

I’m glad you’re taking it easy till you are recovered, Mike. This time of the year, 4:30AM is a great time to be out on the roads. So I can’t blame that for my speedlessness yesterday.

Thank you for your care of those great dogs, RunnerKSA.

Thanks for checking in, Henrun. Sounds like a great trip, so far.

Nice job with the ‘cheater’ trial shorts, Cat.

Holly looks a little too comfortable with that assault rifle! 

Scary trip for David, Tammy! I’m glad everyone made it OK, and that it cooled off for them.

Welcome back, BerthaSlayer. Sorry about the gall stone attack, and the end of your streak.

Nice job of overcoming the challenges, Tomwhite.

Great trip, Twocat. Thanks for the photos.

Yeah! Buehrie’s here! Congrats to Ralph on the Juneau Marathon & 50th state coming up.

Sounds like a busy but good family reunion, Wildchild. As Evanflein said, it is great when everyone arrives, but it is also good when they leave after such a busy time.

Good effort to try to get out of/ahead of the rain, Evanflein, but it seemed to go where you went.

Great pics of you, Twocat and the valley, Mariposai.

I had a busy day yesterday: workout, walk to the beach see the results from the recent sand sculpture competition, trip to Trader Joe’s, lawn mowing, trimming/shaping some bushes, yard clean-up, wash down front porch & furniture, trip to local grocery store, weekly phone call with dear friend, dinner.

Despite my lack of speed (or perhaps because of it), I think I might have overdone it on my workouts over the past few days, so I took my usual Monday SRD to heart this morning and slept in, and then did some serious red and blue band stretches. It would have been a beautiful morning for a workout - clear, dry, and temps around 60. It was hard to pass that up, but it was the right decision.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Smart to take rest day, Jay.

Mike—I think I’m in a similar place: slower is better than nothing.  The knee’s not improved.  Too late to ramp up for a serious marathon push but maybe it’ll hold out enough for a slow one?  Still hoping.

RunnerKSA— Jerry Jeff is cool.  I like musical dog names.  Our two longtime dogs were Koko [Taylor] and Billie [Holiday].

Excellent photos from Mariposai and Twocat of what looks like gorgeous running conditions.

Tammy—that whole ordeal sounds miserable but they’ll certainly have stories to tell later on!

Lori—good to hear from you.  Sorry about the gallstone. Ouch.  One trick to get started with push-ups is to do them off of the edge of a deck or stairs, so you’re partially inclined and then build up to “real” push-ups.

TW—creative bike accessories!

Richard—for a second, after seeing that photo, I thought I’d wandered into some sort of very different forum.

RCG siting!  Congrats to Ralph.  Have a great trip.  You should drop in here more often.

Erika—some days nature just doesn’t want to cooperate, does it?

[Add to my reminder notes: “Do not mess with Holly.”  Oh, wait, I already had that in my notes.]

We’re heading to the swampy mid-90s later this week but this morning we had wonderful cool temps (63F) and low humidity.  Extraordinary for us this time of year.

Hip/knee exercises + core work + 2 EZ miles.

That pace bunny is coming up fast.

Be safe. Be kind.

That pace bunny is coming up fast.

Yeah, I won't be able to catch him either unless this PF issue clears up, and that doesn't seem to be happening because the foot owner is too stubborn/stupid. I'm sorry that your knee is not rehabbing the way you'd like Tramps.

When you "sleep in" Jay, what time do you get up? And thank you for your recaps. Again

Holly did look pretty comfy with that rifle, didn't she?

Congrats to Ralph on #50. And thanks for the pop-in visit RCG! Wish you'd do that more often.

6.5 miles in IRC. 50° and deep blue skies, though a tad windy at 15 mph out of the NW. Followed up with 20 minutes of weights and core. DS#2 and I played in a parent/child golf tournament yesterday. We took 3rd place and won $30 each. He's not having much luck with his job search. With no formal education beyond high school and a couple of years in the military, I don't know what is out there for him. He's pretty down on himself these past few weeks so it was nice to get him on the golf course for a few hours. And I had to fight my "mother instinct" to not keep pressing him for info on where he's applied, if his resume is updated, etc. Sure hope he finds something. Soon.

Have a great Monday everyone.

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Wow - congrats to the Rocket Scientist on #50 - that's awesome.  Rosie - what is a deci marathon?

Agree with Tramps - don't mess with Holly!

Jay always summarizes so well - thanks for that.

Posting yesterday's run - 15 miles at 8:32 pace.  Wanted to go 16, but cut it short.  Then I walked the dog 4 miles, and trimmed the X-mas trees.  Very productive day.

Today - fizzy lifting and spinnerooni planned...

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hi to Rosie.  Guess he saved the best for last?

PBJ--now that you're back, i need a refresher.  Fizzy lifting?  Spinnerrooni is more straightforward.

Lurked over the weekend. And therefore missed out on being in the recap.   Had a couple of good and hot runs Sat and Sun.  3.1 on Sat and it hit 80° and humid.  Still sweating when I got out of the shower and had to sit in front of the fan to get my shirt on.  Yesterday a little cooler and a lot less humid for 5 miles.  Still nothing resembling speed, but I think I'm getting a little acclimated to the heat.

DW had a mini HS reunion over the weekend in VT.  One of her classmates is Tim Daly and he is doing a play with his sister, Tyne, at a local playhouse in Dorset.  So she and about a dozen classmates met to go see the play and reminisce.  He apparently has a very nice farm in the area.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

3.2 miles to start the week.

Tramps-  We call Jerry Jeff "JJ".   We have cat Willie Nelson and had Waylon Jennings, but he crossed the Rainbow Bridge way too young.  The next dog is going to be Robert Earl Keen, for sure.  We should have renamed Duchess when we got her last November, but for some reason we didn't.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I started the week with a nice easy 5k today and three partial "real" pushups and about 10 cheater pushups similar in nature to those that Tramps suggest.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

pfriese

Easy 8 mile run in the "cool" of the morning. It'll be heating up over the next few days.

Paul

TammyinGP

Yes, they'll definitely have stories and good memories of their furnace ride to SFO. And last year they ended up having a 9 hr layover in Denver, about 8 hrs more than anticipated. Kids can turn just about anything into fun though. 

We had some big thunderboomers move through the area last night. Not sure how many lightening strikes, but over a thousand I believe. Fortunately, we also had rain/hail that accompanied that lightening. I did hear of a couple small fires that started though but were quickly contained. 

Only supposed to be mid 80's today, so will get in a short run with the dogs when I get home tonight. Sure will be different at home this week without David around.

Tammy

Thanks for the recap, Jay. So, no photos of the sand sculptures?

So so good to see Buherle here, congratulations to Ralph on the 50 states, and do tell what a decimarathon os.  I think of you whenever the community mood bank comes to town. Don't as two at about the Red Cross though....

we we were on the road for 6 1/2 hours yesterday to get to the resort. It is super windy and the waves are unbelievable so probably no boating, beach bathing or boating either. There were kids some crazy kids swimming last night though. I would take Tammy's 80 degrees over this 60-* anytime.

I did run up I up to the road and back this morning before breakfast, almost 4 miles.  I am listening to a podcast called I The Dark about the investigation into the Jacob Weterling kidnaping from 1989 in a small town in Minnesota.  It is very well done.

Time to wander around here and see if the family from Rhode Island is up yet.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

deci-marathon = 2.62 miles?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

...mornin' .......

80s here

...45-min HH on soccer fields with hokas

==============

.............holly//........later this week

a buddy and I are doing a Southern Version of ''Nordic Biathalon''

which

except

for the beer,

occasional frogs,

and no skiis

is practically the same thing

he's bringing a ''Chauchat''

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chauchat

which was a WW1 weapon

that let you SEE how many shells you had left,

unfortunately

the mud in The Trenches usually clogged them up

..................good running guys,..........try to keep UnClogged

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

catwhoorg

Labrat

Enjoying the brief little respite from the humidity (and a few degrees cooler)

5 miles at lunch, as usual a little slow starting the day after speedwork, but the legs freed up nicely.

20 on the bike after work.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

deci-marathon = 2.62 miles?

Exactly.

Thanks for the Juneau pointers, Tetsujin. Will you be there?

Ralph has several excursions planned for us.

Reading about PBJ and his fizzy lifting always makes me want to burp.

Thanks for the kind words, friends. I am AWOL from Running Ahead due to my Baba duties. I watch the grandbaby Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday. This involves a commute to Alexandria.

Hey. I should stop and see Tramps sometime! Meet me at Wawa, Tramps?

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I'm heading out the door on my way to granddaughter's soccer game.  But I had to post my 10 mile run first.

Okay--it's posted--gotta go.  See ya!