Masters Running

Wednesday, July 23, Ghost-written runs (Read 569 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! All is well with the world again when the Beers are starting us out. I just received my notice that said I am not qualified to receive a free trial membership to Spareribs surrogate posting venture because I’m not actually running at this time. Well! CNY – you are indeed a lioness! But I don’t believe a word about the Twinkies and Hohos... Smile Roch - that's good to hear. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Fitness center update: I arrived at 5:40 this morning, walked in and found no one at the front desk. I wandered around the place, but didn’t see anyone who looked official, so I went over to the women’s side and hopped on an elliptical. I left at 6:50, and never did see anyone who looked like an employee. I wonder, could I just work out there every morning and no one would ask? Workout: 60 minutes on the elliptical. I was pleased to find this to be a better workout than I had realized. It felt so good to work up a sweat, and my legs were sorta rubbery when I got off. As per DG’s advice, I split my time between 4 different elliptical machines, trying to decide what I liked best. The only thing is, my toes all fell asleep at one point. Is that normal? Side note: This weekend I found a large wicker trunk at a flea market. Just the thing I needed for tucking at the end of the sofa and putting blankets and throws in. When I came in from the gym today, I found DD crouched beside it with a strange look on her face. Turns out she had put the dog AND cat in the basket and shut the lid “to help them learn to get along.” Big grin Happy Wednesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Good morning all! I realized over the weekend that the Hartford Marathon is just 12 weeks away and I hadn't started planning. (How often does a marathon sneak up on runners?) So I put a quick outline together and ramped up the miles as much as I can expect. I also flipped to running mornings during the week, tough to switch... That all said I had a great 9-10 miles of hills this morning! Everything was clean from last night's rain and the temp was perfect. Enjoy your day, Craig
      -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
      also on Twitter
        ...40-min Surprisingly Strong Run.........throughly enjoyable..... now, what did I do yesterday that gave me this run, and how do I do it On Purpose Next Time?? ...............good running guys...............Run in a Disciplined and Scientific Manner.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

So I gets up early this morning unsure whether to run Tempos or Repeats. After thinking about it for awhile... Ummm, what's that ya say? Spareribs already posted my run? Oh. Never mind. Roger and out. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Holly-good to see you enjoyed your morning at the fitness center, early mornings are generally a good time to go if you want to avoid the sales staff. Like others said some places are high pressure, other places will leave you alone once you tell them to leave you alone. Generally the heat turns up the later into the 30 days you go. I know this because fresh out of college the first time I sold health club memberships for a large national chain. Wasn't my favorite line of work. As for the elliptical I too have problems with my feet going numb if I am on them for too long. Haven't figured out how to stop that but you are not alone. CNY-which peak is that in your profile? The view looks familiar. I am not a 46er but have climbed many of the high peaks in the Adirondacks. We climbed Algonquin on July 4th one year, temp at the trailhead was 60, temp at the summit was 30 with 40 mph winds. I couldn't wait to climb back down that day. A good friend of DW and I had a summer place in Lake Placid. I was very sad when they sold it.
              Well, 'ribs's surrogate postings have surely improved since yesterday. Maybe he just doesn't like beer.
              4@8:15
              4 easy
              Hmm, these guys need help.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mainerunnah---your workouts are rocking! Great intervals yesterday. Is Joel the guy you were with at the Boston expo? Karin/CNYrunner
                Karin - Brian was the guy I was with at the Boston Expo this year. Joel is an "older" gentlemen with 30 + years of running under his belt. He is still posting pretty good times when healthy and is one of my best friends especially in the running world. Here we are at last years Clam Fest 5 miler: We get together every Saturday & Sunday with our group for runs and he and I meet up on Tuesday's for a speedwork session. I hope I can be running as well as he is when I am 64! Wink
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

Holly - did you try the arc trainer yet? My friend who runs a lot but has been injured says that's what works best for her when she can't run. I tried it yesterday - it's cool. If you set it on hill intervals, it periodically even changes how high you "step" - works lots of different muscles. I did it for 35 minutes yesterday (level 5 out of 10) and was really happy with the workout I got. The only problem is there is technically a 30-minute limit on it, and there's only ONE machine. I have discovered that a woman uses it the same time every day - she's been beating me to it by 5 minutes, so I have to get to the Y 10 minutes sooner, I guess! Evil grin
                  Tramps

Joel is an "older" gentlemen with 30 + years of running under his belt. He is still posting pretty good times when healthy and is one of my best friends especially in the running world. I hope I can be running as well as he is when I am 64! Wink
                    Of course he runs well, he's electrically powered. Must be tough finding extension cords for anything more than a 5K. Has he ever thought of batteries?

Be safe. Be kind.

Wow a lot of posts already. I am sitting here with no lights. We have power but we have a digital light system. The advantage is I can hit one button at night and turn off all the lights at once. The apparent disadvantage is that when the computer that seems to run the thing goes out I cannot turn any of my lights on. This is the second time this month the system has gone down Angry Hopefully, the repair guy will be here "any minute now." predawnrunner glad your legs are feeling happy again post trip. WillRunForBeer when the DW pulls out a longer run no amount of embellishment will help! Wink hopeful4ever do you find the HRM helps with daily training runs? What do you do with the data? biketm ah, yea, good luck with those repeats tonight. Tongue CNYrunner I can see you are not buying the lie on the couch, watch TV and eat Twinkies for five weeks training advice. Confused How about hang out in the back yard, drink margaritas and sleep training schedule? Bad, bad 15 miler. Big grin Spareribs I am like totally confused. Confused SueT48 nice speed work. See Tramps there are such things as mile repeats! DickyG nice hill run. Craneium between you and Ribs what is or is not actual running reporting seems to be getting harder and harder to figure out. Confused Confused rochrunner as long as things keep moving in the right direction. And the brevity award goes to: lyndenrunner with first runner up dtoce. Holly S. looks like you are getting good use out of your free trial! Best of luck getting the cat out of the closet to which it no doubt immediately ran into to hide out! Smile busiman good luck training up for the Hartford Marathon! tomwhite see training advice to CNYrunner above. Wink breger1 and my confusion continues. Confused Confused Confused mainerunnah I saw your post at the Reach the Beach Relay forum about vests and lights. I would have replied there but did not want to bother registering last night when I saw your note. My advice is that unless your team is really looking to keep costs down that you have everybody get their own vest and lights. These things get really, and I do mean really, gross after just one person wears them. Think having somebody handing you a race shirt after a 10K in hot humid weather which you then put on to run 10K in and you will have a pretty good idea of what it is like, except you have to wear their headband too. Yech! This year the team I am on has an bring your own policy. Teresadfp the 30 minute limit at the gym seems pretty standard. For me that means there is no point joining one unless they have sufficient machines that the limit never kicks in. I take it there is no other gym you can use in your area. I ran 8.64 miles today. My longest run post marathon. It took a bit of doing though. When I woke up a thunder storm was pulling through. So I started working with an eye on the local radar screen. When a break appeared off I went! This is one huge advantage of being able to work from home. I also want to thank everybody that replied to my Missoula RR. Rather than clutter up the daily with replies I am going to break protocol somewhat and reply over there to the various questions people asked. Good running and good day all.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

#artbydmcbride

Tramps! Big grin Mr Spareribs, I think your help posting my runs is just what I need. I would like to hire you ASAP to post a daily run for me please. Is there a contract I need to sign? Thanks in advance! Smile

Runners run

Of course he runs well, he's electrically powered. Must be tough finding extension cords for anything more than a 5K. Has he ever thought of batteries?
                          Hmmm, I never even noticed that before...I'm going to have to launch an investigation asap! Wink Thanks for the info ... you made me chuckle. Big grin
                            mainerunnah I saw your post at the Reach the Beach Relay forum about vests and lights. I would have replied there but did not want to bother registering last night when I saw your note. My advice is that unless your team is really looking to keep costs down that you have everybody get their own vest and lights. These things get really, and I do mean really, gross after just one person wears them. Think having somebody handing you a race shirt after a 10K in hot humid weather which you then put on to run 10K in and you will have a pretty good idea of what it is like, except you have to wear their headband too. Yech! This year the team I am on has an bring your own policy.
                            Confused Not sure what you are referring to, I'm not registered for the Reach the Beacon nad haven't made any posts...so it appears as though someone else has a similar username or maybe someone is posing as me! Confused

Renee the dog

Side note: This weekend I found a large wicker trunk at a flea market. Just the thing I needed for tucking at the end of the sofa and putting blankets and throws in. When I came in from the gym today, I found DD crouched beside it with a strange look on her face. Turns out she had put the dog AND cat in the basket and shut the lid “to help them learn to get along.” Big grin Happy Wednesday!
                              That was laugh out loud funny! Big grin Rest day for me. Maybe some weeding. Other than that, I'll be doing an impression of lox.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Sorry mainerunnah. Your handle is pretty unique, or at least I thought so until two minutes ago! It never dawned on me that somebody at that (very lightly used) forum would have selected the same one you use here. But for those doing that relay or heck any relay race for which night vests and lights are needed my advice remains the same: get your own!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/