Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 10.8.17 (Read 42 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Saturday’s workouts:
    Tomwhite (40 min PoolRun with letters)
    Quickadder (11.2 morning run in 74F dew point, with a select group at 10:22 avg. pace)
    RunnerKSA (7.2 beautiful miles on the D&L Train in northeast PA)
    Rochrunner (3 TM miles)
    Catwhoorg (8 miles, including 20 min at tempo pace))
    Dave (8 round-the-pond miles with no calf pain)
    Mike (16 early, rainy miles at 7:10 pace, then work with XC team and bloody fence plant - 22 total miles)
    Evanflein (2 pre-Steamboat Marathon trail miles with Holly)
    Twocat (1 hr on the elliptical before journey to Melbourne)

Tet (7 early, post-rain, moony & sunny miles)

I appreciate that the woman in the store who told me that running is bad for me was only trying to be helpful, however wrong her comments were.

Good and true enough quote from the Dr. in that RD article, Opus77. And I think you've got some of the best reasons for running.

I understand why some swimmers, especially breaststrokers and butterfliers, might have knee problems - there's pretty aggressive leg action, particularly with those strokes. For those who have knee problems with running (regardless of the cause), there is always less-impactful, easier on the joints race walking…

Enjoy the trip, Twocat!

My racewalking training session went well yesterday (as did my trip to the farmer's market), and I got in just under 3 miles with the small crew that came out. I'm racing the Great Island 5K this morning, and it looks like it is going to be warm, windy, and muggy. With a little luck, (don't tell the race director I said this!), we'll get a spot of rain to cool us off.

FYI, for those who might be interested, our Seacoast Half Marathon (Portsmouth, NH, 11/12/17) is 91% full. So, if you are interested in signing up, you've got maybe a week or so before we close registration (http://seacoasthalfmarathon.com/).

Have a greta Sunday, especially all the racers out there - don't forget to post your race reports on the page Mariposai set up: (https://www.runningahead.com/groups/MastRun/forum/355ddfe7c94c431a82c23e05df37639c/resume#focus)!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning, Masters.   6 miles this morning near the lake in the Poconos.  Saw 1 deer.  The rain stopped just in time for my run, thankfully.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Got out for a good run this morning -- the best in a while. I really needed something to lift my mood as I've been experiencing early-onset S.A.D. lately, or at least something similar (strange, since the season has actually been refusing to change so far!). It would also help if I had a race on the schedule, but I haven't found anything appealing lately.

Anyway, 7 good miles, including about a mile with Steve/perchcreek who was running a slow one this morning. For me, 7 miles qualifies as a LR based on this year's performance!

And good luck to our weekend racers! We'll be checking for RRs over the next couple of days.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

''I appreciate that the woman in the store who told me that running is bad for me was only trying to be helpful, however wrong her comments were.''

..this reminds me

of when Jim Fixx died,

all the non-runners seemed to take a Perverse Pleasure in telling me about it

.....and

it's hard to beat genetics,

a couple of my grandparents were in wheel chairs, before hip replacement became more common

luckily

we live in a time when our infirmaries

are correctable in many cases

on the

other hand,

both my wife and surgeon have threatened me with MURDER

if they ever catch me Running again

.......but

I have ways of working around that

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Good morning Masters!! Sending strength to all our racers out there today!!

MikeE your speed never ceases to amaze me!!

I ran 18 miles from the campground to Scarborough- I honestly think MCM is going to be my retirement marathon. I just don't have the mojo after 15-16 miles. I feel physically and mentally tired at that point and don't enjoy it. I hope race day brings better feelings but if not I am sticking to half marathons or shorter distances!

But saying that, I am so very thankful to be healthy enough to run  and do the things I enjoy. I spent about 30 minutes with a good friend last night who has been battling this weird blood cancer for 10 years and she is miserable with the side effects of the medicines she takes aspnd the disease itself. I always wish there was more I could do for her but it definitely reminds me to not take health for granted.

I also like the thought of staying active not only to prevent disease but to SURVIVE them!! A friend of mine is an ER nurses and she was taking care of a fit looking runner who just had a heart attack. He was upset saying he thought he was doing the right thing by running and eating healthy - she told him that is exactly why this didn't kill him!!

Have a wonderful Sunday my friends!! I am sitting in the camper listening to the beautiful sound of pouring rain and happy I ran long yesterday!!

denise

Mariposai

Good morning RA family.

No running yet. I plan to drive to the mountain today for a trail run.

Wishing Erika and Holly a great marathon today.

Carpe Diem my friends.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

Good luck to the racers today!

Twocat, I'm envious of your trip to Australia.

Yesterday, I ran in the monthly Colorado Masters Running & Racewalking Association trail race.  This month's race started at Stone House Park, and was 8.4 miles.  It starts and finishes along a beautiful wooded trail along Bear Creek, with the leaves all in gorgeous fall colors, and it crosses the creek 3 times - about knee deep and 20 ft wide.  Then it passes a golf course and does a big loop around Bear Creek Lake Park, and up and over Mt. Carbon (not really a mountain, just a big grassy hill) before returning the way we came, back through the creek 3 more times.  I needed a pit stop at a bathroom on the golf course at about mile 4, so didn't beat my nemesis Bill (the 76 year old) but I still won my age group, as I was the only one in it.

After the race and small awards ceremony/raffle, I volunteered to go back out and sweep the course, picking up all the flags and ribbons.  So another 8.4 miles on race-tired legs, but I walked a lot of it.  Total of about 16.8 miles and 12 creek crossings.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

wildchild

Carolyn

oops, double posted...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I  have been on ra for 5 years but never posted in the dailies.

Pulled  my back so no running for a few weeks

Maybe if i start posting here i will run more and get faster

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

wishing you luck on that Tom   Hasn't helped me a whole lot, but it does at least keeps me trying  

Making up for not running by eating large amounts f really good food   Ian western Mass for nephews wedding along with DD and SIL2B, so enjoying their company   Hotel is on a major road and they don't have an exercise room  Not the fanciest place, but decent

Also tablet has lost its connection to its keyboard, so almost as bad   as typing ooh the phone   Good luck racing all.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Quickadder

Accompanied DD on her trail run this morning. She has a 25K race on these trails on the 21st, her first time over HM distance. Dew point today was 75 and it was misty and the run felt much harder than the pace would suggest. Logged 9.5 miles in 2:17Tight lippedx

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

pfriese

A cool morning here, perfect for a 13 mile run around town.

Paul

Marathon Maniac #957

So, I finished the marathon, and I didn't die.

Erika rocked the course, but I will let her tell about it. That is all for now.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Saw those results for Holly and Erika. Nice going!

Be safe. Be kind.

Henrun

Another Sunday, another NH 5 K- but this time they got it right. Despite a deluge they got my time right and it was a well organized race.  Saw many of my 65 plus friends, my DS, DDInLaw and my DGD (who braved the heavy rain to see us (much to brief a visit). Also saw Jay who did well in the RW devision. Marj finished 3rd in herAG. I also finished 3rd (3/3) but not 3rd “overall”-like last week.