Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 12.17.17 (Read 41 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Saturday’s workouts:
    C-R (7 morning miles with the running club + 2 with friends)
    Tramps (4.5 miles in mid 20’s and running pants)
    Quickadder (18 miles with the Saturday running group & friends, including 2 miles at HMP)
    RunnerKSA (8.1 morning miles in 26-31° temps)
    Tomwhite (60 min X-bike with resistance)
    Holly (5 miles in 33° temps)
    Surly Bill (4 miles with significant windage)
    Twocat (1 hr on the elliptical before company arrived)
    Henrun & Marj (5 mile walk down 5th Ave in NYC)
    Stumpy (3.1 miles in 23° temps)
    Mike (10 post-choir practice miles)
    Wildchild (4 chilly miles in screw shoes)

Deeze (6.8 miles at 8:30 with the running club)

Metalmancpa (6.4 miles, cruising the 1st 4, then run/walking the rest for 9:32 avg.)

I see a fair number of group runs - winter motivation?

Hang in there Tomwhite, and keep your eye on the prize. You're doing great!

Great news about Justin, Deeze! Thanks for sharing.

Twocat, more than bringing in more racers, the race committee I met with yesterday wants to at least break even financially. They have very few sponsors, and the race cost them over $3K this year. Nobody likes to, or is good at doing the asking. So that'll be the first priority. I dunno how much I'll have to be doing the asking, vs. just providing some direction/suggestions.

We're not quite done with Christmas shopping, but we're being pretty casual about it. We'll go into town today and see if we can get some locally-made goodies for the few remaining people we want to give gifts to. We stopped at the Lindt Chocolate outlet store yesterday afternoon, and had a good time there!

I went 8.35 RW miles in 13° temps this morning. Does anyone else start out cool, warm up as they get going, and then cool down again before finishing their workout? That has happened to me a few times in the past week. The temp dropped 2° while I was out there this morning, but that shouldn't have made much of a difference. I was moving pretty quick over the last 2 miles or so, and it was the coldest part of my workout.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning Jay and y'all.   Jay- I think your body gets depleted enough that you feel chilled later in a run.  We see that all the time with marathoners and why it's good to hold on to your layers.

3 treadmill miles this morning before heading over to my daughter's church.  It's raining outside, and we all know the rule.....

2 more treadmill miles while I watched some of the Titans game.

5 miles for the day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

mrrun

Jay - thanks for your help and advice for the race! Probably the temperature drop contributed to your being cold.  I'm generally warmer at the end unless it's a long race/run like KSA suggested.

Approximately 4 miles over the Brooklyn Bridge in low 30's no wind.

Today's gift exchange is a name draw, which was easy and done 2 weeks ago.  and now it's time to think about the latkes

happy trails,

marj

Henrun

KSA is right about body temperature changes. Happened to me this morning.

Did 4 miles of a Brooklyn Bridge run dodging tourists and cyclists, although pedestrian and bike lanes are clearly demarcated. Everyone was in a festive mood. Runners were smiling and saying good morning. A policewoman parked at the entrance of the bridge greeted everyone, Marj received a high five.I only got a smile and a wave.Temp was32 and cloudy.

Having a family Hanukkah party this afternoon and then home tomorrow afternoon.

Marj snuck in while I was posting. Sorry for the repeats.

Quickadder

Waited until after it stopped raining before hitting the local trails with DD. Lots of wet, slippery leaves hiding the tree roots made it a slower run than usual, but a good recovery run after yesterday’s LR. Total of 7.6 miles.

Jay, interesting comment on race finances. As a fairly regular racer, entry fees are relevant in deciding which ones to run. I do wonder how some of the races cover their costs and whether some of the more expensive ones are ‘milking’ their participants.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Marathon Maniac #957

Does anyone else start out cool, warm up as they get going, and then cool down again before finishing their workout?

Yup, all the time, especially if I am doing a longer run in the cold.  Like Metalman, I prefer to err on the side of being overdressed rather than underdressed for this reason.

Deez - good news!

Today was a good example of what Jay was talking about.  Even though the temp was fairly mild (36 degrees), there was a chilling breeze.  I was fairly comfortable for most of the run, but by the time I got home I was pretty chilled, especially my hands and arms (this is typical for me).  A long, long hot shower was just what the doctor ordered.  I probably should have taken a pair of Hot Hands with me, but I thought my gloves would be enough.

15.4 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Hey all. Cold warm cold happens on long runs over 16. I find the need to be cold for the first 3 or 4 miles and then it doesn't happen so often. However the Reynauds after those long runs is no fun. Usually takes a couole.of hours these days to get back to normal.

11.7 trail miles today in low 30s. Saw lots of deer which helped break the monotony. Lots of trees down from Wednesday winds.

Have a great Sunday everyone.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

evanflein

I ran 8.8 yesterday and was comfortable for pretty much the whole run. The problem I have is when I'm out long enough to get sweaty and then get chilled. Usually because the temp has dropped, but sometimes just because you're out there a long time and eventually the outer layer gets pretty cold. I've ended some runs with frozen mitts (gloved hands inside are ok) and my neck gaiter will have ice on it. I probably run in colder temps than most of you, but some of you are out there in single degree temps so it's not all that different.

Christmas shopping... hardly any but we do like to have some gifts under the tree. I use this as an opportunity to get the kids things they need since they're really just starting out in life. DS2 is trying to buy a house, so we'll have "house stuff" on the list soon. Other than that, we usually exchange things like wine, coffee, chocolates, kitchen doodads at a Christmas Eve dinner with my family. I'm also getting DH a new tracker since the one he doesn't like the one he has (got it for free at a conference years ago...). Ordered the FitBit Blaze with the purple strap. Hope he likes it!

Tet, our air quality in the winter is frequently not good, although it really depends on where you are. Up here in the hills it's not bad, but in town and out in North Pole it can be pretty bad if we have temperature inversions. We have PM 2.5 problems from people burning wood that isn't dry enough. When heating fuel prices were almost $5 a gallon a couple years ago, people were installing those wood boiler heating systems all over and burning wet wood. Bleh. Some burn coal and that's almost worse. So yeah, not always clear air here.

Love to hear that Justin is doing well, Deez, that's gotta be a huge relief. Hope he stays the course and gets better.

Was wanting to get a nice long run in outside today, but we got more snow last night (it started during my run yesterday). New snow over the slick stuff we already had out there, bleh. We'll see what happens.

metalmancpa

I got in 10.8 miles at an 8:37/mile pace. Unlike yesterday where SVT & asthma forced me to walk/run the last 2+ miles, today felt good in 30 degree weather. But I guess my Garmin 935 decided to get SVT. Mid run it was telling me I was running 25-30 minutes per mile, and logged in 9.8 miles for the run. Hate when GPS goes funky. And according to the map I walked on water on a lake that isn't frozen - pretty cool, huh? Now it's time to get ready to watch the Patriots/Steelers.

Hi all! Just got back from a 3 mile run with a lot of photo stops. It wasn’t too cold so I must have been dressed right for once.  I always seem to get too hot and sweaty even running as slow as I run.  The trees and foliage here are covered with frost and it was so pretty out.  We are taping the Vikings game so will watch that soon.

As for Christmas, due to scheduling conflicts we had an impromptu celebration last weekend with all the kids and grandkids (6) here. I had the grandkids overnight and the adults stayed at the hotel.  Lots of fun and thanks to Amazon Prime I got the last things delivered on Saturday in time to put in gift bags.  I only had from Wednesday to Friday to get ready, eek! I didn’t even put up a tree due to this remodeling project in the basement.

When the little ones got here I let them help put up the crèche and nativity figures. I had a big bag of musical and percussion instruments all in a bag, “Grandma’s Band Bag”.  The slide whistles were a hit but everything went back in the bag after a few minutes.  Sunday morning I was here alone with them so let them march and play all they wanted.  My piano has a Wi-Fi system that plays songs along with accompaniment and voacls so the Frozen album was a hit.

I didn’t do much Christmas baking this year, not even fudge! I did a batch of M & M cookies before the kids came.  I forgot to put out the raspberry ribbons so those are in the freezer with a big DO NOT EAT sign for MrStarr.  They are my niece’s favorite so will give them to her family.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Tramps

Deez--good news.  Hope it continues.

I was looking at the calendar and realized I like christmas and new year's  on Mondays.  Makes for two long weekends, two short work weeks.  I'll take that any day.

Made it up into the 40s today we went out for an easy ride.  No Garmin but a familiar route; we'll call it 20 miles. Dark, gray, and a little raw, though.

Be safe. Be kind.

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, safely arrived back home and have gotten in some decent (if cold, and this morning also wet) runs.  Bit of a head cold.  More to the point, DS#2's graduation went well.  If I ever learn how to post pictures here I will.  So that was a nice anniversary present (28 years) for DW and I.

Will try and get caught up later.  Have a great day everyone!

Check out Afternoon Dec 17th on Relive!
                            https://www.relive.cc/view/g16293132885

I took some some pictures today. I don’t run fast or far but enjoy every minute being out there.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Dave59

Today was the first in the Winter Series here in Barboursville, WV (3 miles).  It was mild outside, 44°, but it was spritzing some rain and even some sleet.

Had my fastest run of the year. 24:54 - 8:26, 8:31, 7:56.  (My fastest race pace since March 2015).  I beat my time in the race when I first ran it 2 years ago.

I was feeling really good today. The rest day yesterday did me good.  My Garmin measures the last mile at .98 which means the last .98 was an 8:04 pace. But I am ignoring the Garmin and entering my race as a full 3 miles.

5 of 15 (50-59 age group)

33 of 104 overall

Software install yesterday took about 7 hours. No glitches.

wildchild

Carolyn

Nice racing, Dave!  And glad the software install was glitch-free.

I met a group for a 10 mile trail run on new-to-me trails.  I love running new trails - this park was really pretty!  It's about a 45 minute drive from home.  The trails were partly dry and partly snow-covered, but not too slippery.  Here's a picture.  Can't beat the views!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.