Masters Running

Monday April 13 runs, rests, and eggs for breakfast anyone? (Read 724 times)

4.2 miles at 7:20 am---7:41 pace---felt limber and fleet today. 28º and bright sunshine Enjoy the day all!
      Eggs for breakfast sound great Karin. Over medium please. I'll run right over. For a few weeks now, I have been thinking about trying to resurrect my long unused Guitar skills. Then, out of the blue Easter Sunday, I was asked to join the Praise Team at my Church - this is a group of 5 or 6 musicians/singers who lead our Contemporary Service every Sunday morning. I accepted. (Thinking to myself "I need to remove a bunch of Guitar skill Rust very quickly".) He works in mysterious ways ... Anyway, the first thing to do is to get a Guitar. Cool So I spent a lot of time over the weekend researching them on the Internet and trying out some in the stores. As a result, with images of Guitars floating around in my head, I didn't sleep very well last night. Got up groggy this morning and decided it might be wise to scale back the 10 mile MLR with Intervals plan a little. So 7.6 miles altogether with 4 x 1000m with 90 secs RI. 4:43 (7:37 min/mile) 4:34 (7:23) 4:26 (7:09) 4:30 (7:20) I might still be feeling the effects of starting out with the Big Dawgs on Saturday during my 15 miler at sub-MP pace. At any rate, tomorrow is a swimming day - maybe even a rest day if I oversleep. Bill Edited to Add: For those of you who post on KR sometimes, do yourself a favor and go over and read SkipAZ's masterful Umstead 100 Mile race report. Astouding.

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

Bill, Nice run.....I was part of a contemporary praise band for several years. We called ourselves "Good for the Soul". And what good was a name like that if you didn't include a few "Soul" pieces. I played Rythm guitar and sang back-up. Sadly, since we moved I haven't picked it up in years. It's going to take days to get my GI system back on track. Oh the Sugar !!!!! I think everyone was in a competition to see who could come up with the richest dessert. Hit the pool this morning......I'll get an after work run in tonight. Then I'll be out of town for the ret of the week training in Chicago.
          Good morning Karin and Bill. Karin - nice peppy run this morning. It seems a little cool in your part of the world. Shouldn't your morning temps be a little higher than that? It was 35° here at 4:30 this morning. Like Bill, I felt a little sluggish and could only manage 5 miles. I tried to do a progression run but my legs were tired and I just didn't have any energy. Bill - good luck with your guitar purchase. When you're ready to play the opening chords to "Stairway to Heaven," put it on YouTube, okay? Smile I'm sure everyone is trying to come up with exciting new recipes for hard-boiled eggs today. Deviled eggs, egg salad... I know I've got one in my lunch. To all our Boston runners, enjoy taper week! Have a great Monday everyone.
          Tramps

Spent the weekend dropping, cutting, and splitting a couple of trees for next year's firewood. Ow, ow , ow. Stiff and sore for this morning for a slow 5 miler sans Garmin. Byll--my sister works in a factory making these. Stumpy--great news

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai

Great to see CNYrunner back to running so well. Byll, take it easy and enjoy your extra hour of sleep tomorrow. Rest day for my butterfly wings. I love taper time Cool Extra long day at work today...love those call days when you start out at 5am with a surgery Dead and still have 23 hours more of on call duty to go.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! CNYrunner – thanks for starting us out. Stumpy/Kameele – good news! Breger – it doesn’t surprise me at all that you have another hidden talent – very kewl! Slo_Hand – sugar overload for me as well. I’m not hopping on the scale for a couple days, because I don’t really need to know the damage. Jlynne – I love hard-boiled egg and Miracle Whip sandwiches on ww. Lucky me, because I’ll be having that for lunch for the next 2 weeks. Big grin Mariposai - can you at least squeeze in a nap? Tramps - that's me next weekend, when I begin digging and planting. No run for me today, but I am returning to my regular x-training. Today was weighted squats, dead lifts, weighted duck squats, dumbbell curls, lateral raises, superman lifts, push-ups, and various stability ball crunches. Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Spent the weekend dropping, cutting, and splitting a couple of trees for next year's firewood. Ow, ow , ow. Stiff and sore for this morning for a slow 5 miler sans Garmin. Byll--my sister works in a factory making these. Stumpy--great news
                  Tramps.....You got to be kidding ! I have an Accustic Seagull right now and I had Godin LG.....beautiful Guitar, that I stupidly sold to get a Fender Strat. I wish I still had that Godin LG. The LG had Seymour Duncan Pickups and although I only aspire to play Jazz......That guitar was built to play Jazz. I'm banging my head on the table right now for selling it. Top quality guitar ! MTA: Here she is: http://www.godinguitars.com/godinlgp90flamep.htm
                  Tramps

Tramps.....You got to be kidding ! I have an Accustic Seagull right now and I had Godin LG.....
                    Sweet! No kidding.

Be safe. Be kind.

Hill Runner

Good morning folks, 0 miles for me today and I'm not feeling one bit guilty. I'm getting a little concerned about Perch, I really hope he's OK. Karin, I'm one of the few people you will meet who does not eat eggs. It's funny because I will eat French Toast but not an egg...go figure. I know it's all in my head. I've got a few guitars laying around the house from my band days back in the 60's when the Beatles ruled....anyone want to start a Masters Band? LOL Good runs to everyone today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                      Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                      Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Wow that's cool Tramps! I had a beautiful Guild D-35 in college that people wanted to trade for all the time (never would). I sort of have my heart set on a Martin Acoustic this time. But I'll definitely research those Grodin's! Peter I'll join! I'm sure Slo-Hand will. How about we name ourselves the "Running Over the Hill Gang"? That works on many levels. Big grin Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

....anyone want to start a Masters Band? LOL
                          I'm in.
                          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                            wildchild thanks for the weather update! For once I am not jealous that you are in Colorado and I am in Connecticut! Big grin biketm you are certainly my sole brother when it comes to the attitude you bring to your hobbies and I suspect work as well! I think it makes life a lot more fun. Too bad it is not free. Black eye Let me count my sports injuries . . . Wink evanflein I have been running in Landreth's since I recovered from my AT injury a few years ago. I like them in many ways. But I am thinking of experimenting out since the toe box on them is a touch smaller than seems ideal for me. stumpy77 congratulations on being able to return to running! Your welcome back run of 1.7 miles seems fine to me. In fact, when I can resume that is about my first run goal! As Spareribs wrote, be patient and it will all come back. breger1 and Jlynne I am happy to report no spare eggs at my place! SLO_HAND alas while we are egg free I cannot say the same for the sweets. Like your dinner ours seemed to include an huge excess of desserts! Fortunately, we made most of our guests take them away when they left. Mariposai what the heck are you doing up at this hour on the west coast! Confused Tell them you need to sleep and to tell the potential patients not to come down with anything or get hurt until a reasonable hour! Geez . . . no consideration! Big grin Holly S. sounds like my morning workout. Gym today. Later I am going to check out the stationary bicycles and see if I can tolerate it. The big news over here was last night's dinner! There were several incredibly picky eaters here and they all managed to find several things to eat. I simply do not understand how people live off of a really, and I mean really, limited repertoire of things they will eat. One eats basically nothing but beef and potatoes. Occasionally, fish. Plain. Just grilled. Another only chicken and lettuce based salads. A third, and this is sad, is anorexic and eats basically nothing but an occasional vegetable. In the end I managed to get them all to try something outside their typical diet which I consider a major accomplishment!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #3309

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

wildchild

Carolyn

Darn - I totally forgot to put a hard boiled egg in my lunch today. Can the Running over the Hill Gang use a very bad banjo player? Tongue Hey, my DH actually has a degree in guitar from Berklee College of Music, and owns 6 or 8 guitars, so maybe he could join too. DD and I did a long core workout using Mark Verstegen's Core Performance book yesterday. It was my first, and I'm sore today. But in a good way. That's what I did yesterday in lieu of a long run, so I wouldn't feel like a total wuss. Twocat, I don't understand picky eaters, either. Variety is the spice of life! Well, as usual, I'm experiencing two different seasons at home and at work. This morning I had to scrape ice and snow off the windshield, but it's supposed to be 60° in town today, and the trees are getting green. So I get to do a lunchtime run in shorts to make up for yesterday's run in many layers and hat and gloves. It'll probably be like this for another 5 or 6 weeks, then springtime will arrive in the mountains.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.