Masters Running

Thu Aug 28 Runs and Workouts (Read 460 times)

Dave59

I don't know how long it will stay up, but over at the Drudge Report (at 12:04pm) it shows a poll for McCain's VP choices. As of right now, Dark Horse is getting 17%. Well behind Romney but you never know! Big grin http://www.drudgereport.com/ Here is a screen capture shot:

I got up at 5am, but didn't feel "right" - kind of hot and dizzy. So slept again, got up at 6am...waited to go for my run at 7 but still wasn't feeling quite right, was having stomach issues and knew my run would turn out like Mary's if I went outside. Gave up. I always seem to pick up a little something the week before an important race. Will try the TM tonight and see how long I last.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Thursday - Goal 10 miles - 3 miles warmup (progressive) - 6 miles @ MP 1 mile cool down. Actual - 10.11 miles - 1:20:30 (7:57) Avg HR 134 Max HR 150. 8:53 - 8:35 - 8:34 - 7:32 - 7:31 - 7:31 - 7:31 - 7:30 - 7:31 - 8:22 - :55 - A great run in 80 degree temps with 33% humidity, now that's what I'm talking about! DickyG - We have our annual family gathering at the house this Saturday so a nice cookout is in store! Oh and you'll be happy to know there is the annual golf tournament first thing in the morning. Wink

The Jogger

Don't know what it was I voted on but I voted Dark Horse!!! Roy
          Mariposai

Rest day today, but yesterday my butterfly wings took me to the top of Oval Peak. Elevation 8800, tallest peak in the Sawtooth range. We drove up to 5200ft, hiked three miles to 6500 and the straight up to the top. This was not a technical climb, but a boulder to boulder type of ascent. This little endevor took us 6 hours to the top and 4 hours to come down. It was a great adventure. When time allows I will post more pictures in a separete thread.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

6.2 mile progression run for me today 2 mile warm up, 1 mile 9:20, 1 mile 9:00, 1 mile 8:40, 1 mile 8:30, cool down for 58:20 total time. Dicky my favorite football team nickname would be Cleveland Glenville High School "Tarblooders" Tarblooders are what they called the men who used to put in the railroad ties the old-fashioned way & they would be covered in tar & blood at the end of the day. Surprised The Tarblooders have put out several NFL players, over 100 Ohio State Buckeyes & 17 state championship track teams. Cool Nice climb Mariposai

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

those butterfly wings must have been working hard at that altitude. Smile What a magnificant view (and the mountains aren't bad either) Shocked

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Mariposai - that is a stunning photo - what a great adventure that must have been!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

G'Afternoon! The thing I most enjoyed about the Sox game last night was not Dustin Pedroia's grand slam, but instead the way he dove all out for line drive headed into right field and then whacked the ground when he just missed it, and it fell for a hit (the game was still close then). Some folks are calling him the energizer bunny. Roll eyes I just love watching that kid play the game. Big grin .......and they told him he'd never make it because he is too short, ha! It's in the 70s here, conducive to excellent running. I would have had a progression run, but I had to cross a little street at mile 7 and a big street in the last mile. 9 in 1:11:33 for me: 8:28/8:22/8:05/8:06/8:03/7:44/7:47/7:25/7:30 grins, A
                    Masters 2000 miles
                      That is quite the scenery from the mountain top, mariposai. Nice long runs for hallar, Evan, WRFB, and maine. I don't normally run on consecutive days but my son wants to meet for golf tomorrow so I opted for a short run today and none tomorrow. It was about 60 and almost calm. I did 5 miles in about 47:45 for a 9:33 pace. Since yesterday and today my runs went pretty well, I am feeling positive. I hope I don't jinx myself for doing so. A good day and good runs for all. TomS

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Really spectacular mariposai. It looks like a painting. Go Dark Horse! Hope everyone who got drenched is drying out ok. We still have that tropical moisture overhead. At 7 am it was 74F ith 100% humidity and a dewpoint of 74F. I'll complain about that! 11 sluggish, hard to breathe (all moisture) miles in 1:44:21 (9:29 pace AHR 147). I'm glad this is a recovery week because running has been sub-par with lingering effects of the MP run Saturday.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

wildchild

Carolyn

Mary and Enke, hope you both feel better soon! Craneium, we've missed you, but its nice to hear you're busy in a good way. Sue, sorry to hear about the treadmill run. Tongue I agree with Jlynne that treadmills are a last resort when the weather's bad. DickyG, our college mascot (U of Pa) was a Quaker! Sounds pretty tough, doesn't it? I remember a hilarious thread back at Coolrunning about funny mascots. My favorite was the UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs. Nice progression runs for DickyG, dg, Sarge, and Aamos. Spareribs, nice 5 miles and hangin' with all your good friends. Cute story about Prime Rib! Mainerunnah, those are some very even splits! You're a machine! Mari, what a stunning picture! I went for a trail run at lunchtime, 7 miles in 1:13 for about a 10:26 pace. Not a progression run, but the last mile was the fastest at 10:08. It was 68 at the start and up to 75 at the end, but I carried water and ran in just sports bra and shorts again. That's about the 4th time now, and my pasty-white stomach is actually starting to get a little tan! Big grin

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I have been having trouble finding time to post lately, but I'm so glad I peeked at today's thread and saw Mariposai's wonderful photo. We talked about her trip to the mountains last Friday at dinner, and it's cool to actually see her in and amongst such breathtaking scenery. 8 miles for me today on tired legs - very very slow. I haven't had much energy this week, which is irritating me. This should be just about peak fitness time for this cycle. Bleh.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

lamerunner

Easy 10k run, great conditinos, mid-fifties or so, partly sunny, no wind. Legs a bit tired for some reason. Things a bit hectic the last few days. Long run planned at the crack of dawn tomorrow with a friend. Hope will go smoothly. Happy running everyone.
                                That is truly a heckova view mariposai -- I'm very envious of your climb and the vista you got as a reward.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com