Masters Running

Memorial Day Monday Daily....May 26th (Read 416 times)

yikes! bet it sounded good in the bike wheels!! i went on my first group bike ride today - everyone was so great -- 2 women stayed in front of me and 2 behind me and occasionally they came alongside of me to offer tips and encouragement -- i felt so supported!! after the bike a bunch of us were meeting at a member's house for a run -- 3 other women and I went for a walk instead -- didn't think it would be wise for me to run after running yesterday and biking today -- was so great to be out walking because it really gave us a chance to talk...........then a big cookout was following the run, but i needed to leave to get some things done at home and now heading up to bed to ice my back and nap before work tonight............my back is a litte sore after yesterday's run but not too bad -- just a little pinchy in the butt and achy lower back -- totally manageable tho (well with a little help from my friend alleve) Wink hope you all enjoy the rest of the day -- naptime for me!! Big grin

denise

Mariposai

Today I miss Dark Horse, do we have any news from him at all? Tramp, we miss you around here. I am glad you checked in today. Erika, {{{{toe}}}} Happy XT in the garden. I am doing the same also. Holly, red kitchen huhhhh. Happy painting. No running here yet, but I will take advantage of the day off to go out for a run later. Still recovering from the fun fiesta we had here last night. The open house of the new local winery was a pleasant surprise for all of us. Great wine, great spread of cheese and fruit. We met up with so many of our friends that we decided to invite more people over at the last minute. Good thing that I have tons of pork chops marinated in a Carribean style sauce ready for the crowd. I found a new recipe of mango pico de gallo that everyone liked. Made my favorite Mexican rice and home made guacamole and salsa. It was indeed a great time. The rubbarb-strawberry pie and homemade peach pie served with home made ice cream were a big hit also.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, you may grow to really like that color. We did our kitchen in "Taupe Rose" and it was picked purely by accident. Love it though, and everyone who stops in seems to like it. I'm amazed you do that leg workout after running 10.
        I actually wouldn't mind the crimson walls, except for 2 things: 1) it clashes with the putty-color they painted the cabinets, and also with the countertops, and even the floor, which is white white tile with dark grey grout (which doesn't match any part of this); and 2), it is semi-gloss and the walls are textured and bumpy, so the gloss shows every defect and divet. Eventually, maybe a year or two down the road, I will gut the kitchen and change everything - counters, cabinets, tile - but for now I will just paint and put in recessed lighting to make it more reasonable. Oh, and the putty-colored cabinets I am painting a dark walnut. As for the workout, I'm trying to move my toughest lower-body exercises (the ones that leave me the sorest) to a running day, so that my non-running days are complete leg-rest days, in an attempt to have better recovery and gains from the workouts. Smart people (including you) have commented that I don't seem to have enough leg-recovery, so rather than spreading it out so much, I'm hitting it hard, then resting. Twocat - I get jet-lag just going 3 time zones away. I'd probably be a terrible world traveler. Sad La Vita - I sorely need to paint my toenails. We went to the local water park today for a couple hours, and I looked down at my toes and suddenly realized how bad they look, out there in the sun for all to see. I've lost 5 and a half toenails this season, and two of them are still purple. Odd thing about losing toenails - they don't grow up from the bottom, the nail bed just sort of hardens until it eventually is a toenail. Trouble is, I keep damaging them before they have a chance to grow back properly. I think painting them might actually protect them. Mariposai - oh you are making me so hungry.... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Jlynne

Happy Memorial Day Boomers. Sounds like lots of parades, yard work, painting, and a few nice runs thrown into everyone's day today. None here to report, but I did walk 18 holes of golf and cut the grass - that has to be worth something. Found out I placed second in my AG at the Christie's four mile race yesterday. Final time was 38:33 and I'm real happy with a sub nine minute mile because the conditions weren't the best. They messed up posting the results and gave the first, second and third place medals in my age group to the wrong people, but they said they would straighten things out, and I did win a raffle prize (a replica of Lambeau Field - I live less than a mile from the real thing!) Holly - those caramel colors are the hot decorating thing right now. I'll bet you really like it when you get all the walls painted. I wish I had your energy! CNYRunner - great picture of the "G Girls.!" I loved your report on your weekend with them. They sound like some awesome role models. It always makes me feel bad that my kids don't spend more time with their grandmother, because they're missing out on so many family histories, traditions, etc. Many thanks to all of our Boomer veterans. My husband served in Viet Nam, and I never thank him enough for his service to his country. We take our freedom for granted, and sometimes forget the sacrifices and suffering that many people went through to earn it for us. God bless all of you! Enjoy the rest of your holiday, everyone. Jeanne
            tselbs 7 miles with your DD at the end of her marathon seems like a pretty good run to me! I hope you both enjoyed the day. (From his post in yesterday's daily.)

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Hi Boomers, it is good to be back from my minivacation with my sister in Vancouver. We did a marathon of walking and eating and eating and walking, that is for sure. I have sunburn on my face from eating outside at patios all weekend, what a shame! Big grin It was beautiful weather non-stop, and I couldn't believe how many tourists were in town until I saw the two cruise ships in port. We also walked into a mob of people "walking" a "world something or other walk" around Stanley park. My sis wanted to grab some bottled water from the tables but I wouldn't let her. We got our bi-annual dose of Canadiana by seeing the movie adaptation of "The Stone Angel", Margaret Lawrence's classic that was required reading in just about every grade 12 English class. Of course after 27 years I couldn't remember anything about the story, until prompted by the movie. I was too tired to run Saturday morning but I managed to get out Sunday morning for a nice little 6 miler into Stanley park and back to the hotel. It was at 10:02 pace, not bad for a GA run. Today I ran another 6, but it felt a bit sluggish with the high high humidity in the mornings here. I am hoping to get this week up to 40 miles somehow. Just running one hour these days seems like a very long time as I haven't done a run longer than 9 miles since the marathon. Can we fine people for describing their incredibly delicious meals on the forum? I think Tall, Mariposai and Holly would owe some money. Wink Enjoy the day, enjoy the gift.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

3.66 miles this evening to start out another week of running. This run was done at the cemetary......fittingly so on Memorial Day.
                Vista

Renee the dog

Just got back from a 5 miler with the babysitter, so I'm sitting down with my Memorial Day beer. Seems so mighty decadent to have a beer on a Monday night. Wink I'm also icing as the very top of my left thigh is the slighest bit tender as I finish my runs these days. Memorial Day was a big "eh" here for us this year. Not usually so, but we have many house projects going on, and are getting ready to move, and with 4 hour roundtrip drives to see my Mom, there's no rhythm. But, we are lucky to have such a full life. Of course, breaking down tonight in Home Depot and having to have one min hug with my husband 'cause we couldn't make a decision on the style of number for the new house address...might be a sign that life is a little over-full currently. Thank goodness for running!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

evanflein

Nonoruns, I've done that spontaneous breakdown before... yes it usually means something has to give. Hang in there, "this too shall pass." Spent a lot of time in the garden today... still need to plant the beans and beets that have been soaking so need to go in the ground. It's almost 9 pm, and the sun is still up so daylight isn't a problem, but it's getting chilly out and I'm tired! I got tired of the garden and started on the garage. With tire changes, apartment remodeling and major plumbing repair work... it was a total mess! I haven't had my car inside for months. But now it's all cleaned out (my side, at least!), and the car is tucked inside out of the drippy birch sap! That much is huge. Ok, now to go out and plants some beans. (DH comes home tomorrow... they caught 36 halibut, but none very big. He's bringing home about 20 lbs of flash frozen fillets! Yahooo!)