Masters Running

Boston Marathon lore from the old days--old people needed! (Read 199 times)

King of PhotoShop

My brother-in-law Joe and I are trying to recollect some old memories from Boston and are fuzzy about a few details. We are hoping people like henrun or other older runners who did Boston many years ago might help us fill in the blanks.  Please share your recollections here regarding these questions:

1)  There used to be a real nice cop who sat in his patrol car at the top of Heartbreak.  On his mike he would call out something like this:  "Congratulations.  You have just reached the top of Heartbreak Hill.  Your time is 2:23:45 and it's all down hill from here."  Or words to that effect.  Who remembers this man?  Is that exactly how he said it or what do you recall?  In what year did he stop doing this and if he is alive, what is he doing now?  He sure was a big lift to me and others.

2)  At one time Boston insisted on (according to Jim Fixx in his book) a "rather perfunctory medical exam" prior to accepting you at Boston.  I think this was part of the application process but can't recall.  What do you recall of this?  Did you have to have your doctor sign off?

3)  At one time they served beef stew after the race.  My first Boston was 1977 and I don't recall eating any.  In what year did they stop serving the stew?  Does anyone recall ever having any and was it any good?  I have a book about the race and the author includes the recipe and the mass quantities involved, but have no personal recollection of the stew. 

Interested in your contributions.  Thanks.  Spareribs

Henrun

Ribs, I do remember the cop and those were his very words. When i ran Boston in the early 80's he was still there. In

2002 he wasn't. I have no idea what happened to him. I don't ever remember having to get a doctor's certificate, although they did suggest being examined by a physician prior to attempting the marathon. Also, I do remember eating beef stew in the 70's and early 80's. Don't know when they stopped.

Tom Dederian(sp?) wrote a small book on the history of the B.M. Some of those facts might be included.

I do have many other memories of the 'early days' including being at the Prudential and seeing Jacqui Garreau looking quite upset after 'losing' to Rosie Ruiz. Then I was running with Erich Segal (of 'Love Story") who was carrying a large pack on his back and broadcasting his race as he ran. Another time I was introduced to Fred Lebow of NYC Marathon fame. And, of course, my favorite story is crossing the line to cheers in 1976. As I looked to my right old Johnny Kelley (66 at the time) was also finishing.

In the early days Boston was a small(er) race where we felt like we were privileged members of and elite club.

Maniac 505

Ribs:

I of course have no personal knowledge, but I am currently reading Kathrine Switzer's book Marathon Woman.  Where I am in the book, she is writing of the 1967 Boston Marathon where she registered as K.V. Switzer (she claims innocently)  She said she had to get medical clearance which she got from her school physician,  her boyfriend registered at the last minuter and he had to get a physical in Hopkington before the race.

And she said the beef stew was Dinty moore out of a can.

Dave

Maniac 505

does anyone know what happened to Lioness from the old CR forum?  She would certainly have access to some of the early history.

lamerunner

My first Boston was 1980. . I vaguely remember both the cop and the beef stew.  I clearly remember the old finish line right by the Prudential; once you made the turn onto Hereford St you were basically done.  I still don't like that long stretch on Boylston Street.  Those last couple of corners got exciting though. Then you went under the Pru into the parking garage, I think. At least the year I finshed with bloody feet I went down there to get bandaged up.

No chips until 1996. My marathon PR was a Boston pre-chip. There used to be food and t-shirt/souvenir vendors on the green in Hopkinton  and it was possible to buy something and stick it in your bag to get at the finish.  They also used to let us in the old high school to use the indoor facilities.

I think a lot of changes came when the race got huge. 1995 there were maybe 10,000 runners; 1996 was the big 100th with huge numbers and it has stayed at least 20,000 since then.

Henrun

For the last 2 years the Boston Public Library in Copley Square (at the finish line) has been mounting a photo display of early Boston Marathons. It's not publicized but well worth looking at during the weeks of excitement leading up to the race. Hope they have it next year.