Masters Running

Newbies - 5/28 & beyond (Read 483 times)

deb, Hows your hamstring? I see youre running which is good. I hope its pain free. Yeah this stuff takes forever to heal. I am going on nearly a year with mine. Theresa, I know what you mean about middle schoolers! I've got my hands full with mine. And I coach her soccer team in fall so I have 15 more of them to deal with. Argh! Before your short run remember to stretch and warm up then stretch again after you run. Its important to be careful and take it easy. God knows I learned the hard way. Kevin and Theresa, did you guys stay up for the celtics last game? What a game. I went shopping promptly the next morning for championship t shirts. Yesterday was gym day. I am realizing that I am gym addicted. I could have gone on lifting for hours but kiddo got worn out and wanted to go home. Today we are trying a pilates class. The kids and I. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I stayed up and am still suffering for it Sleepy evidently our son is heading down to the rally. Never actually said that he was, but kept asking where various parts of the camcorder were and then headed out very early (for him) Confused

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Laurie, good luck with the soccer team! You have more patience than I do. Thanks for the recommendation - I will definitely do that. I felt more twinges this morning than I expected, so I didn't try the run. I called my doctor and he is going to send me to PT. DH and I watched the last period of the game. I enjoyed it, because the Celtics were having so much fun! Very high energy, wasn't it? We figured out that they won their last championship just a few months before we moved to Maine. Hard to believe that was 22 years ago. Kevin, did you son fess up? I bet it was a great rally.
          Dont ever take a pilates class. Unless you are into pain! It was tough! I liked it though. The girls not so much. But I will be back next week. I could do the planks because I had been practicing them but the rest was difficult and my abs burned. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I tried pilates once and decided you have to be in great shape BEFORE you start it. Also, coordinated, which I will never be. Wink
              Teresa, just wondering how the PT went? Smile
                Did 3 miles today with the women's club. I managed to pace one of the fastest women in the club and felt good afterward. I took Ali and her friend to this ski area summer park. They had a rock wall. I climbed it. But it opened a can of worms. Now I have to find a climbing partner and start climbing indoor rock walls again. Thats all for today. Hope all is well with the rest of the newbie. Laurie

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Joni, thanks for asking. PT went well! I really liked the guy (Andrew). He said lots of things: It was a good thing I stopped so soon after feeling pain, so it didn't turn into chronic tendonitis. I'm still swollen. I should probably get shoes with more stability, and perhaps custom orthotics. I can go for a SHORT run, but in case of pain, which he thought was 90% certain, I have to stop. I can do pool running, or use the elliptical trainer or stationary bike. I'm supposed to do six stretches he gave me, twice a day, because my calves and hamstrings are very tight. I need to keep using ice and ibuprofen. Then he gave me an ultrasound treatment. After that, he put an anti-inflammatory medicine patch on my ankle, and ran an electrical current through it, so that the medicine would move through the tendon. Bizarre, but he said it's been around for a long time. He thinks 2 to 4 weeks of PT should be what I need. Not great news, but I feel like I'm in good hands. I wish I'd asked for PT 2 weeks ago. If something like this happens in the future, I will be more assertive! Onward through the fog! Cool
                    Joni, thanks for asking. PT went well!
                    That's good news! It sounds pretty close to how my 1st appt went except for the patch and electrical current. I ended up going to a different PT after that on the recommendation of a friend, however, and they did nothing except dynamic stretching, which was AMAZING! That got rid of my hip problem completely. I think I'm stuck with ankle issues permanently as it only flares up here and there. The main cause, I think, was a rollerblading accident. I'm not willing to have surgery, as my podiatrist suggested, unless I'm unable to run. No cutty my ligaments and tendons, thank you. Keep up the good work! I know it's soooo difficult to have patience with that sort of thing.
                    dg.

Hi. Smile a little bit of catch up. Kevin. glad your running is going well. the hills make a big difference for me too... I even noticed it today. I ran on the path by the river, & though it's not hilly, it's not flat either (compared to the track). Re dg-go-lightly. funny! & no! We'll give that to Holly, it's only fitting. She has to run lightly to do what she does. Linda.. how are you? Mike, same to you. Teresa, I'm glad your pt is going well. Healing right makes your patience worthwhile. Are they having you do exercises that use eccentric contractions? Laurie, funny about the Pilates. I think a class would have killed me too. I just got out tapes/dvd's from the library & picked what seemed to work. can pace yourself then & really helps avoid injury. though you wouldn't think that looking at me. Did you say you are approaching a year of hammie injury?! That's awful! I'm sorry, I must have missed it when you first hurt it. I pulled mine Oct. 1st, & I thought I was well before you. didn't mean to not pay attention. Sounds like you're doing well. continue smart. Wink. Mine is doing pretty well, thanks for asking. The usual... ups & downs depending on what you do. I've started a new (for me) program... I think it's really good. You might like it. Running Training 1,2 & 3 by Mark Verstegen. I do have to be careful how much I do. Too much & I start hurting again. but great for injury prevention & for better running. (I hope!). oh no. a new can of worms for you. how do you ever find the time? I ran on the path by the river this morning. walked a mile & ran 6.07. was very happy-- longest other than that since injury was 4.97. I'm trying to get better at stretching consistently after running... it's harder on my 'river route' because it's outside. Today I incorporated a new one from my dvd... stand on one foot & lift the other one.. holding it with your hands & lifting to stretch your piriformis. It was working really well till I realized I had goop on my hands. Not sure what it was... part of the time I did run off of the path where it was softer. but there are a lot of geese there. eeeww. Hi joni. Smile Hi Roberta Smile hope you all are well.
                        deb, Glad youre getting back up there in the miles. Mine was injured late last summer but I didnt do anything about it or post much about it until it got so bad I couldnt run anymore. That was in Jan when I finally sought treatment. Bad decision! I paid the price big time. Glad to hear most of us are back to running. Linda, hows the arm? I did 8.5 hilly miles yesterday. My longest run ever. Felt good but today I am killer sore. Going to stretch later to see if that helps. My running partner says we dont have to do hills every long run. Thank God! So its hilly runs mid week and long flat runs on Sunday. Going to San Diego tomorrow. Will be home the 30th. But will run and post from there. Laurie

Oops. Posted twice.