Masters Running

Toosday's Daily, 3.20.18 (Read 33 times)

evanflein

I ran last night! A new "10 week high" for mileage at 3.3 miles.   I can't wait to get back to where that feels easy, because even at an "easy" pace it really taxed me. Partly because the garage felt so warm, not sure why, maybe it was the shirt I was wearing. Anyway, 3.3 miles in 30 sweaty betty minutes. Today is elliptical and tomorrow will be another run, probably 30 minutes again.

Pictures on RA... used to be not so bad but now that Photobucket doesn't do 3rd party hosting of photos without an outrageously expensive membership fee, I don't use it anymore. So, don't really post pictures anymore.

Mike E

MM #5615

Mike - Nice marathon, and on short notice it sounds like.

Nope--not me--that was Falconfixer...and, yes--it was a nice marathon on short notice.

Anzlo

Nope--not me--that was Falconfixer...and, yes--it was a nice marathon on short notice.

Ooops ... 

FalconFixer - Nice Marathon ! ... sorry about that.

Darn, well, I suppose that's what you might expect from a guy who can't get his own name right.

65+ Bests: 5K-26:11, 10K-TBD, HM-TBD

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - Clark Howard says that it will save you money in the long run to drive every vehicle "until the wheels fall off."  Just sayin" - a few repairs can be much cheaper than a monthly car payment for years.

Erika - Yay for progress!

Mike - yea, that was a super fine marathon that you didn't run, but could have...  you and Falconfixer should run together sometime...

So, today's lacrosse game got rescheduled due to the incoming snowstorm, and frankly, I am more than happy.  Hopefully 3/28 will be warmer and drier.  Spring, HELLO, show up already!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Darn, well, I suppose that's what you might expect from a guy who can't get his own name right.

What do the kids say?  LOL...and with a

smiley face thingy with a tear falling from his eye...

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, bed magnet probably would have won anyway but the lightning clinched it.  My deal with DW is that I won't start a run in lightning....but I won't necessarily cut a run short if a storm pops up while I'm running.  Luckily that doesn't happen too often.  Anyway, I lucked out.  Ran at lunch, totaled 6.5 miles at an 8:53 pace.  If past is prologue, I should see some improvement in pace tomorrow.  After that temps dropped through the afternoon.  Only supposed to get rain here from the northeaster....but we weren't supposed to get any wintry mix last week either.

As for the retirement discussion...mine will be all over the place.  My reserve retirement, which is based on "points" you earn over your career that are then multiplied by a figure determined by your retirement rank and years of service (rule is you have to have worn the rank you retire at for at least three years).  My activity duty time (9 years) gave me a good base of points--so my military retirement should be pretty nice.  Still learning the civil service retirement system.  That's in addition to my 401k(s) from my assorted civilian jobs over the years.

Completely separate subject, some of y'all from the Runner's World Masters Forum probably remember Trail Trudger.  I'm sorry to report that he passed away on Sunday.

Evanflein, Yea on the TM run!

Anzlo, no harm no foul.  I tell people all the time the main reason I went back to being in uniform full time is that my name is right on my shirt!  And I also was convinced you had your name from the WWII battle in Italy....

Holly, I tried that!  I can say we started together.....Mike went sub 3 in Richmond; the man is quick.  And a very nice guy.  Another nice guy is Tramps who took the time to drive us around the course, which was a huge help in convincing me to go out more slowly than I otherwise would have.

Have a great night everyone!

wildchild

Carolyn

Erika, I'm happy that you're running again!  Stress fractures take their toll - just ease back into it.  And hey - at least you were off during some bad weather!

I ran a sproinky 5 miles over in Evergreen, since I had to go grocery shopping.  I stuck to the lower trails in the open meadow, which were mostly dry - the trails up in the trees are still snowy/icy from yesterday's storm.   I should add that my "sproinky" pace is much slower than Falconfixer's or Mike's - but it's all good, right?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Erika-  that's good progress.  I know it is slow going, but you seem to be being smart about it......

1.8 treadmill miles to finish out my day-   after a work retirement party.  I had 1 glass of wine and some smoked salmon, but managed the run OK even after that.   It is horrible outside-  icy rain.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Falconfixer

Forgot to add, thank you Two Cat (and others) regarding posting pictures.  Almost want to try and do it one time just to prove I can.....  Doubtful you'll see too many pictures from me.

Whiteman contingent at 2012 Gold Discovery Run

Probably didn't work but......in honor of Evanflein, this is the collection of runners from Whiteman AFB (442d Fighter Wing) after the 2012 Gold Discovery Run in Fairbanks, AK.  We're in front of the Silver Gulch Brewery (good beer, good restaurant)--the northernmost brewery in North America (at least at that point, can't speak for now).

Hi all. I forgot to post my run/walk yesterday.  Since I am just getting back into running since I fractured my wrist I thought I would use the Couch-25K program. The app makes it a lot easier to time. I used but in 2004 when I started running the very first time.  I went farther than it called for so that should make up for not getting out there today.  We took a bus trip tonStvPaul yesterday to watch a Wild game. They lost in overtime but it was fun.  We decided that was our last bus trip, though. Yikes was that uncomfortable!

I saw the surgeon today today and had the temporary cast and the stitches removed, yeah!  The x-rays showed good progress but I need to work on getting my hand moving.  It is still quite swollen and my thumb is quite numb.  He gave me a different pain med and one to help with the nerve pain.   I guess I will go back to work and see how it goes.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

evanflein

Erika, I'm happy that you're running again!  Stress fractures take their toll - just ease back into it.  And hey - at least you were off during some bad weather! 

Yeah, that's what I keep saying. We had some really cold weather and a LOT of snow while I was off so it really was a good excuse. But dang, it's hard to build back up.

Falconfixer, would love to see the picture but it didn't work. Did you click on the little mountain icon (7th icon from the left in the editing tools bar)? Then you need to insert the URL from where your picture is posted. It's a PITA, but when it works it's great.

Thanks KSA, I'm trying.

Meant to comment earlier that yes, no matter how he sleeps Tetsujin has a heart of gold. Interesting that you feel like you sleep really well but the test showed otherwise. So are you going the C-PAP route?

35 minutes on the elliptical tonight after work for 4.02 miles. Why does it always feel so hot in gyms? Maybe because there's just no air movement. I was a sweaty mess. Then walked a few laps and did some strength training that I'm trying to be better at: one-minute planks (x3), 2 x 6 reps per side of bird dogs (which are great for core/lower back/glutes), squats, lunges, deadlifts and lateral raises front and side. Used kettle bells tonight and I like them better than dumbbells so might look for some at Play It Again Sports this weekend. Will run tomorrow!

SteveP

Holy Tetsujin Reruns Batman!

SteveP