Masters Running

Saturdaily, 4.13.19 (Read 46 times)

nbwalker

Spareribs

King of PhotoShop

posted: 4/12/2019 at 5:46 PM

Wow!  So much news here I doubt anyone wants to hear about the Saint and me having a drink with that gorgeous blonde from Alaska.  Ribs

Ribs, 

You're right!

Ps- Would it be too much to buy a girl a meal?

evanflein

hahaha, yes, it's been a really busy crazy week. And today was no different. Spent most of the day at the office finishing a project I should've gotten done last week.

The conference was good, and on the way home it was wonderful to see Ribs and the Saint for a brief visit before getting on the plane to Seattle. They're doing well, Riblet has a job offer locally so they're happy he'll be close to home. For those of you who remember Ribs and the family, Riblet is graduating from UT next month, Lucy the Sheltie is getting old but still doing well although deaf (she was a puppy when first introduced here), and the Saint is doing great with all sorts of stuff. And Ribs is, well, he's Ribs. We had a great time.

I've been running, but not enough to keep up with that damn rabbit. Letting the pace bunny go till after our open enrollment period when my life will return to a somewhat slower pace. We had the warmest March on record here in Alaska, and our snow is pretty much all gone, easily 2-3 weeks ahead of normal for being gone. Now we have to wait till the "degree days" get high enough to trigger the leafing, and we'll have "green up" in a day where the hillsides go from brown in the morning to a light fuzzy green by the afternoon. Yes, it really happens in a day and that day has a name. Love it. As it is, our sunset is now around 9:30 p.m. with sunrise around 6:20'something, and I took advantage of that to get out for 4.1 easy miles at 8 pm in lovely setting sunshine.

Holly, so sorry about your stoopid foot. Those injuries are so frustrating. And your boss is such a turd. There's no other way to say it. Sorry, but you know I've felt that way for a long time. You SHOULD be able to claim OT for that, but no, he made you salaried so you can't. Total turd.

Nice job on the Carkeek, Tet. You ever fail to impress.

Dave, glad your heart hung in there for you. Good job on that race.

runnerKSA, I sometimes feel the same way. That's why I skipped out on the local Symphony fund raiser 5k I used to run. Just don't like that course so don't do the race.

BTY

Hi Spareribs, and all runners in all points.  Surprised that I'm awake so early this morning after a busy day that included a church garage sale, raking up the leaves that blew into my fenced in area over the winter, (Wow there's a lot of them this year) swimming (I haven't been running for awhile but these runner friends here encourage me to post my swim workouts here, which I think is quite nice of you all) and dinner at old friends' house.

Saturday is Open Swim day, so I have two hours (in theory) to get my workout in instead of just an hour.  But I spent a little too much time raking beforehand, and got to the pool with just 1 hour and 8 minutes left to get in a planned 1 hour and 10 minute workout.

Plan was 7 500 yard repeats, alternating 500 freestyle, 500 backstroke, with no rest in between repeats.  By swimming just a touch faster than usual I set a pace to get the full 3500 yards in in exactly 68 minutes.  After the first 500 yard  backstroke, I had to stretch out the arch of my foot for 20 seconds before starting in the 2nd 500 free, and that is becoming a fairly common annoyance.  Felt pretty good about getting the whole thing in after another ~9:40 500 yard free, and a 10:00 500 yard backstroke , but I noticed the time was 3:30 and everyone else had left.  I hate keeping the lifeguard there on a beautiful sunny Saturday springtime  afternoon (we get so few of them here) so I told this young lady, who happens to be my daughter ( Smile ) that I wouldn't keep her if she wanted to go home.  Turns out her boyfriend was already on his way to pick her up so I stopped at 2,000 yards in 39:05. 

To be honest I had mixed feelings about stopping about halfway.  While I really wanted to get in a good distance swim, I felt like I hadn't fully recovered from Thursday's hard sprint workout and so maybe 2000 yards was plenty, and 3500 might have been overdoing it.

Looking ahead, my meet is 2 months from tomorrow.  First time swimming in a race in 42 years. Sometime between now and June I have to learn how to do a backstroke start without doing the old "Nestea Plunge".   The thought of it alone is making me cringe, but I have surprised myself before so here's to hope.

BTY

Marathon Maniac #957

Looking ahead, my meet is 2 months from tomorrow.  First time swimming in a race in 42 years.

Very cool - I will be interested in hearing about it.  Your training seems to be doing great.

Tet - well done, and in cold rain!   A nice soak in a hot tub was well deserved.

Carolyn - how did your 50K go?

Erika - it made for a long day Thursday, but I cut Friday short to make up for it.  And I've decided that in the coming years, I will "accidentally" have something else scheduled for that day.  I think I have gone to this event 5 out of 8 years, so I think I have done my part.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."