Masters Running

Tue Sep 23 Runs and Workouts (Read 537 times)

And then it was fall...Temperature dropped to 38 degrees this morning...but I always plan ahead,so my jacket and gloves were in the front hall closet... 4 miles...8:25 pace then a nice 1 mile walk
    Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
      Hi Everybody... Working Out on the Road all week this week, I am in Cedar Rapids, IA. Won't plan on a run today, I really hate Hotel dreadmills..... and why did they think it was a good Idea to put a fitness center right next to the indoor pool and sauna??? Angry Legs are making a strong comeback, after not being able to move after my courageous HM. Injured leg is still pretty sore, but getting better. I am not going to attempt anything wild. Just going to concentrate on Work, ( I have to be on my feet all week for 10+ hours a day) and get back into the swing of things with lots of easy and slow miles to start the re-building process. Happy Day to All! Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

...Jeanne//......I just caught the tailend of this, but there are some Much Older Drill Seargents he will meet who will make sure DS won't even REMEMBER why he joined. in the Long Run, this may be the smartest move he's ever made. hopefully he will make more. that said, You're in Our Prayers.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

An easy 7.5 miler this morning, 9:35 pace. It was already 65F at 6:00 AM and I didn't check the weather before I took off. WAY overdressed but it felt good to just run and clear the head. Thanks one last time for all the good wishes, everyone. Life will go on and we'll all be stronger. DS called last night, said it would be the last time we'd hear from him for 2 weeks. I hope he survives boot camp. Spareribs - what a game last night! I've gotta believe all the Packer fans who were mad that Favre was traded are thinking a little differently this morning... First beer party bust of the year last weekend with kids from the high school I work at. The office was loaded with the guilty parties and their parents yesterday morning. I always like the parents who think the code of conduct is a great idea until their student athletes are involved and then think them being suspended from playing is a bad policy. Angry We lost some starters for a few sports - at least until their parents hire lawyers to get them off the hook. Can somebody tell me why rules don't apply to ALL kids???
            "Bill, that's an encouraging workout, especially the volume of 400's. Where did you come up with the 90 second interval? These were not all-out were they? I suspect you were feeling pretty fresh toward the end. Nice splits."
            These were not "All-out" as in sprinting, no. But "fresh at the end"? No. I wouldn't have walked if I was fresh. The 90 second intervals were prescribed in the HM plan for today. Does 90 seconds seem like too much, or too little rest time in your view? Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

DickyG

I'm basically a Mets fan, but I did watch the ESPN special Sunday night on the final game at Yankee Stadium...I thought it was one of the classiest events I've ever seen. Although Reggie Jackson was his usual egotistical self, Whitey Ford & Yogi Berra were absolutely fabulous when they came to the broadcast booth and told some of their really funny stories. Enke: After your recent run, I assume your foot is OK now? Roy: Your last 2 miles were fast...you're gettin' good in your old age. Jeanne:
              First beer party bust of the year last weekend with kids from the high school I work at.
              Not to make light of this, but you know what comes to mind? to-GA! to-GA! to-GA! 4.1 miles this morning on a very hilly course...37:25 (9:08)...a little slower than the last time I ran this same course...I was really disappointed today. DickyG
                Mariposai my next target race is the NYC Marathon on November 2. Thanks for asking. I have a few others thought. First is a 5K coming up this Sunday that I will run if the weather is nice. Then a HM on October 5, and a 4 mile race on October 19. Of those I would like to do well in the HM. It is the same course over which I have set my PR twice, and last year managed a time good enough for a guaranteed entry to this years NYC Marathon. So, I am keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well that day! Today I managed 15 miles. It was supposed to be with my TP but she had to get to an appointment early this morning so she departed after 10 miles. Nice run though, but I must admit my legs are a bit shot. That always seems to be true about now in the training cycle. Good running all.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

dg.

good morning, such nice runs for you all. wow, Bylll! Holly, that sounds great. Happy sproink! {{{{{ Jeanne }}}}} Nono... I hope your ankle is ok. I hope for the best for you today, Perch. Ribs,
                  Workouts should be forward thinking, not backward looking.
                  do they ever need to be a bit of both? Econo I am so glad to hear that. I see the podiatrist at my gym.. the one that prescribed the graphite stiff shoe thing... & sometime my little small voice asks me if I'm sure I know what I'm doing. I'm not, but at least I'm not alone! I think they're great. A bit of a relapse today, not bad, but it effected my run a little I think. 4.62 miles, 9:53 average pace. ahr 166, mhr 190. I tried some striders today, first time in a while because of the hamstring thing. The distances were uneven, I need to plan this better... and the auto lap cut in the recording. Anyway. 3 of them. I had fun. My maximum pace was 6:03. Smile for me, that was good! fastest ever, I think, even if it wasn't for long. first I was happy. then bummed a little, because I can't imagine going any distance like that. But I got over it. As long as I've said that, i'll mention that Sunday was another distance pr..I wasn't going to,because if a person is fairly new at this & trying to increase, those prs are going to be common stuff. But hey, it was my first 9 miler. I've only had one run that was 8. So I'm happy & figured I might as well admit it. Big grin Weight machines after that.
                  wildchild

Carolyn

4.1 miles this morning on a very hilly course...37:25 (9:08)...a little slower than the last time I ran this same course...I was really disappointed today.
                    Dicky, that sounds pretty fast to me. Do you always try to run a given course faster than the last time? Leave the watch at home sometimes and enjoy the gift, man! Jeanne, Sorry you're having such a hard time right now. I think boot camp toughens up the parents as much as the kids. Tim, I didn't know you had 3 kids in the military - where are they serving? Aamos, Congrats on another fine marathon. I like the new category of Super Veteran Grand Masters - sounds better than DickyG's "65 to death" category! Smile Holly, excellent wave run! Perch, glad your run felt better, and hope your doc gives you the all clear. Breegster, awesome intervals! Craneium, everyone's on Spareribs' enemy list. Its a badge of honor around here. I love your 5K program for the 5th graders - how's it going? Cheffy, I hope you can find some nice outdoor running places while you're away from home - hotel dreadmills are such a last resort! Dg, contrats on the 9 miler! Even if adding a mile for a new PR is relatively easy at this stage, its still something to celebrate! I've been getting a whole string of PRs in a race series because they're all odd distances that I haven't raced before, but that's OK, I'll take them! The final trail series race this Wednesday is 1.3 miles up a steep trail. I decided to scope it out last night on the way home from work. Yikes! The race will be up a jeep road to the top of Green Mountain, almost 800 ft elevation gain in 1.3 miles, or an 11.6% avg grade. (Erika, I know it pales in comparison to Ester Dome!) It took me 20:40 last night, walking most of it, for a slug-like 15:54 pace. The summit is at 6850 ft, and the views from the top are awesome - you can see downtown Denver to the east and the mountains to the west. After I caught my breath and enjoyed the view, I continued along the trail, which follows the ridge for a mile or so, then drops back down the mountain and circles its base back to the trail head. Total 6.5 miles, avg pace about 12:03. Very rocky trail so I couldn't go fast even on the downhill parts, and loads of mountain bikers to dodge. I'm not really sure if I'm going to run this race. Its a tough climb and I'll be at the back of the pack, although that doesn't bother me because that's where I've been at the first 3 races in this series. But they were enjoyable trail races, and this will just be a grunt. I can't even run much of it- just fast walking. But on the other hand it'll be a PR for my first 1.3 mile race. What do you all think?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

dg, I am referring to the fact that you can't undo the past, and that in your planning for any given day's run you should be thinking about what you expect to do two days from that day. I was needling Tim not because of today's post but because of yesterday's post when he said his legs felt great after his 30 mile weekend. My thinking is that no matter how good your legs feel today, you have heavy track work coming up on Wednesday and it's important to be fresh. Bill, this is a fine workout and the fact that your numbers got better throughout is a great sign. I like the "standard" of a minute per K interval, which means that you might start shaving that 90 seconds down a bit. If the quarters are not all out (I asked this because all-out repetitions would allow you to get full recovery), then why not see how you do with 75 seconds rest next time you do this. I think this program will be good for you. There seems to be a bit more freshness in your legs and in your feeling about your running. Cheffy, what kind of work do you do that keeps you on your feet 10+ hours a day? When I travel I too am on my feet all day but it is a much shorter day. No worries Craneium; we have the Cubs in common. And make no mistake, no matter who was at QB last night, the Chargers are the better team. I'm just saying that the Favre thing was a mistake. DickyG, I am also a Mets fan (poor me) and don't care for the Yankees, yet some of my greatest memories were of listening to the Scooter. That team sure had some great players. I walked 2.2 and then the Saint and I did my little interval workout of 2 miles. We run a quarter and walk a quarter. Total time for the four quarters running was 8:04; got her to slow down a bit. Another gem of a day here in N. TX, high 80's and all sun, all day. Spareribs
                        I knew that 12 reps at 1:43 would be pushing the envelope for me. So in that regard I was pushing them pretty good to try to reach 1:43 by feel alone. Anything less than 90 second intervals would have been too little today. I did walk often during those recovery periods. I'll try to trim the recovery time as I am able. It may take a weather break to do it though. I can't overstate enough how this F.I.R.S.T. program has me pushing the paces and the envelopes. One might think that the book title "Run Less, Run Faster" means run less and thus become a faster runner. It might actually mean Run Less AND ALSO Run Faster during training and thus become a faster runner. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

wildchild--re-read your note to dg. should answer the question Wink CNY--thanks for checking. Boone was such an anomaly amongst the major cities that I figured it must be significant for some reason. Deb--I keep forgetting to mention it in the newbies, but congrats on your continuing distance PRs. Seems like you've been going slow and steady and they're really getting up there. 43 brisk degrees this morning at 6am. May have to break out the tights in not too long, but shorts and long sleeves worked just right. 4.2 miles in 37:40 for 8:59 pace. I was faster than Lou today! I don't care that he's tapering. Tongue It sure won't happen often. i felt really groggy when I got up, but once I hit the road, the legs felt really good. that time also includes about 30 seconds that I stopped to say Hi to my friend that just had a heart attack and quintuple bypass. I was really happy to see him out and walking and looking in relatively good shape. Jeanne--best wishes for your DS's success. I know it's not universal, but the services seem to to be a positive experience for most. Sort of wish my own DS would join up. He's 21 with no real concept of what to do. Of course dealing with authority figures is not his strong point, so maybe not Confused Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

I was faster than Lou today!
                            Nice running! Dg - another congratulations!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

6.08 miles today at 9:59 pace. I had hoped to run it a bit faster, but the legs were just...tired. We heard Beerdog barking outside while we were showering, and figured we'd left her out in her fenced backyard. When I came downstairs I was horrified to see the front door wide open and the silly dog standing on the front porch barking at passersby. She hasn't worn her invisible fence collar in quite awhile, but I guess she still retains some vague memory. We worry about her leaving the yard because she's a big sweetie pie with people, and a scary snarling idiot with other dogs. It's all bluff and she's never actually hurt another dog, but the behavior is not appreciated by our dog-owning neighbors. Just read your posting Jeanne - how difficult this must be for you. I echo the others who say that this will be a positive growth experience for your son in the long run. But it's so hard to see our kids scared and struggling.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Great runs everyone. An hour at lunch. 4K ez then 4K at half marathon pace 3:50K then 4k ez. Felt great heading out, although my calves are tight (normal), good thru the hm pace and then tired and form was slipping during the last 4k. Just focused on maintaining good form (stand tall, good knee lift, arms to side, good push off). Need a massage on those calves. First run since the Army half. Thinking I could peek for the Picton Half. Need to stay healthy. Here's my finish at the Army Half Best Tall

Recent Best times: None recently