Masters Running

New England Challenge--5 Marathons - 5 States - 5 Days (Read 40 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Amazing job, Mike!  If I lived close, I would have come to cheer for you, too!  But no way I could run even one lap with you - you're too speedy!  I guess Andy and Vanessa must be pretty speedy if they paced you!  I remember Vanessa from the Vermont 50 - all of Karin's crew seemed like running goddesses.

I think it's nice that you  made friends at this series!  And that you cheered for each other.  Sounds like a nice community spirit.  How many people ran all 5 races?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

wildchild

Carolyn

Copying pictures from FB for you:

Pine Tree Marathon

Granite State marathon:

Red Island Marathon:

Nutmeg State Marathon:

Old Colony Marathon:

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Reading this brought such a smile to my face.  You are truly awesome!  I am so glad you surpassed your goals.  And I loved your statement that in retrospect you're not sure how you did it!   Also glad you got to meet up with such wonderful people from here and in the races.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

SteveP

MikeE, reading this is such a joy. You could be the poster child for peanut butter and jelly.

SteveP

mrrun

You'll be happy to know that you got mentioned quite a few times in conversation.  You may not be quite as happy that most of those started out as "I've got this crazy friend..........."

I've had many of those same conversations - one in a cemetery in DC with someone training for the Marine Corps.  Can't wait to have another meet-up.  Congrats on an awesome achievement!

evanflein

I read this first on Facebook but you added a few more tidbits here. Like the part about pooping and puking. Nice. Hey, it happens! This was such an incredible adventure for you. I think we were all following along as best we could here so I'm really glad you pulled together the full story (and thanks to Wildchild for pulling in the pictures). I agree with Jlynne, you should submit it as an article to Runners World. Nice job!

So incredibly amazing!! Strong work!! I am just sorry you were so close to the area so many times and I didn't get to meet you!! Also, a friend at work was telling me about her friend who "bonked" at Boston then did this mid week marathon to redeem herself and ended up running with this guy doing all 5!!! I said - hey I know him!! You really are famous!!

denise

Wow, just wow, Mike! I saved reading this until this morning so I could savor every word without distractions and absolutely loved it. You have such a great style of writing. Yes, Yes, submit it to Runners World,,,, and the Star Tribune.  Truly an inspiring story of true grit, great training and outstanding support, especially that angel, Vanessa.  See you in Portland, if not before sometime in MN!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

First, Andy is a great guy! Mike E you should run with team Rosie and spend some more time with him! Second, how does one have a "goal time" for running 5 marathons in 5 days. No such training plan exists?  Wow can you believe it?  Which just goes back to how do you have a goal time? Third, I am totally jealous! These days I would be happy to get 1 marathon in 6 months and have it come in under 3:30. Your times all would have set a new PR for me! 

Glad to hear you had such a great time doing this crazy event!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/