Masters Running

Tue Sep 23 Runs and Workouts (Read 537 times)

dg.

Ribs, thanks. That makes sense. thanks Carolyn, Kevin, Holly.. Smile. Holly I meant to get back yesterday to thanks for your comment then, but never made it. Carolyn, my advice wouldn't be any good. but a PR is a PR. Smile Kevin, nice run! DickyG, I'm sorry you were disappointed. it sounds fast to me too. Tall, great picture. I'm headed out of here in a minute, I have to take one of my cats to the vet... I'm afraid it might be serious. Any warm vibes for him (Dennis) would be appreciated.
    wildchild

Carolyn

Well, I only needed 6.1 miles to make it over 1000 for the year, but I could only manage 4 today. Sad One of those carpy run days. Legs felt like lead and my heart rate seemed high. It was 72 degrees and sunny, but with a nice breeze, so quite pleasant. I decided that "enjoy the gift" applies to walk breaks as well as to running. Big grin Deb, hope Dennis the cat is OK.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

DickyG - the foot is a lot better, but unfortunately not all better, I am still having issues with it. Wildchild - sounds like that race will be more than just "a grunt", probably several non-stop. Do it. Just for the pride of accomplishment. Holly - great bolded paces woman! 45F - yikes! Had my gloves with me thank goodness! So I had lots of time today, thought I might try 16 miles on the horse trails. Kind of ambitious I know given the issue with my foot lately. Well it caught up to me around 8 miles, then calmed down but at 11 miles I had to give it up. Stupid thing started to hurt. Walked 1 mile back to the car. I will know later on tonight if I set myself back in recovery, or if I am just riding a fine line. 11.13 miles @ 11:56 pace.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Craneium, everyone's on Spareribs' enemy list. Its a badge of honor around here. I love your 5K program for the 5th graders - how's it going?
          The first day consisted of the 7 5th graders who signed up complaining about having to run and walk for so long, which was 25 minutes. They were so miserable they have managed to talk 3 more people into signing up so I am very excited. All my good thoughts to Dennis the cat, I have a very soft spot for cats so any healing vibes I have are yours dg.
          TammyinGP

3.5 miles on the TM at lunchtime. After a couple rest days, my legs were not sore anymore and felt good to get in a short run again.

Tammy

evanflein

Hi everyone. Just wrapped up my conference here in MD. Really needed a nap this afternoon and feel almost human now. I leave early tomorrow morning to spend 4 or so hours on the plane, stop in Seattle for more meetings then back on the plane to be home by 9 pm. Then I'll want to sleep for a week! Haven't run since the marathon on Saturday, but that's ok. Was planning on taking a break, but I feel like I should be doing "something" this week. Haven't gotten that far though. Jeanne, my heart goes out to you. Prayers for you and your son that you'll both come out of this better and stronger for it. Holly, nice run today!
              Teresadfp

One day at a time

No time to read all the posts, but just wanted to check in quickly. DH was happy to hear that Martha and I were planning to run 4 mile today - he said that's the best indication that we ran the HM well. It was IRC - 50 degrees and bright sunshine. We decided to run on flat streets, and we had a blast. It was supposed to be a recovery run (11:30 or slower), but we ended up at 10:53 pace and felt great afterwards. We'll take off tomorrow and go for 4 or 5 on Thursday. Next week, we have to come up with a plan for what we want to do next!
                  Hey SteveP, congrats on picking up Batman shirt #53 Cool Ran 4 miles yesterday in skunk territory, but didn't sight any of the little critters. No gnomes either. Tongue Running 5 miles later today (not sure where yet but if I post this it'll force me out the door).
                    Nice work out there, Masters. 4 slow miles for me. I usually say easy, but this run, while slow, was not easy. I felt very winded at about mile 2 through the finish... Confused
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                      Next week, we have to come up with a plan for what we want to do next!
                      How about, eat fried clams with Aamos? Blush O, you meant running plans.... Shocked. Nevermind. Undecided Perch--hope you and Holly are all mended up good, and congrats on the 2,000 miles, wowowowoh! 5 for me at 8:07--in the 70s here, just greyt. dg--Spencer and Kate sending out cat vibes to Dennis. We're sorry--keep us posted, please? Cry Advice? Sayhey--my running buddy turned her ankle on a run last Friday, kept going, didn't think anything of it. Sat., she could only run 3 miles instead of 20 (her marathon is Oct. 4). It's been improving, and her question to me is: should she run her scheduled 13 this weekend, or try to run more since she missed her 20 miler? She ran 18 Sept. 6 and I think 20 the next weekend. Mid July she ran Missoula in 3:28. I suggested 15 or 16 THursday, if the ankle continues to improve, then 9-10 Sunday, but then, what do I know? ANy other thoughts? (O, and she's 25 so heals way faster than do we Smile ) Thanks! Home to listen to the game that shall remain nameless herein.
                      Masters 2000 miles
                        Tuesday - 6.08 miles - (2 easy 2 progressively hard 2 easy) 49:35 (8:09) Avg HR 134 Max HR 163 8:41 - 8:34 - 7:15 - 6:40 - 8:07 - 8:14 - :23 This felt good considering the pretty good effort of this past Sunday - although running in long sleeves kind of sucked! Sad - Brrrrr

Renee the dog

Had to scratch the run again this evening. I did walk a whole lot today -- sometimes carrying 2 kids. Long, arduous day with my Mom. I took her to Longwood Gardens, which is about 15 min from her nursing home, and a bit over 2 hrs from my place. I got cranky, incapacitated Mom today...she wouldn't rent a scooter, wouldn't stop at the benches, was winded and all nutty -- and drove my kids up a wall (and my kids LOVE her). It was tough. Undecided We took her back to her "hotel" as my daughter calls it, and then I realized we'd have about 1.5 more hours of Longwood being open. So, I took the kids back and did all the things they wanted to do but my Mom wouldn't do! But this time without a stroller. Well the place is b-i-g, and my kids are small, so sometimes, I ended up carrying both of them. I'll call it crosstraining. Anyway, I think my major ankle problem is revolving around needing to find a certain trigger point, and also some serious hydration issues I'm having. I just can't seem to remember to drink enough during the day suddenly, and that hugely impacts how my limbs feel. So, tonight, I'm going to be like a French duck and force the water in me until I'm almost pate ready. Cause I would love to run tonight, but with the way the ankle feels, it just seems reckless. Grrrr.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Tramps

Couldn’t run this morning so tonight I went for a rare visit to the “track” (really just an asphalt track at an elementary school). Total of 10 miles with 5x1000m with 200m intervals. I do this so rarely that I wasn't sure what pace to aim for here so I just ran hard trying to keep good form and easing up when it felt unsustainable. S-l-o-w jog on the 200m intervals. Ended up with 4:05, 4:03, 4:09, 4:16, 4:17. Definite fade at the end, but I felt pretty good. Finished up with 4 easy miles (on a track this part is boring!). Kind of fun to get a change of scenery. We don’t have a good runner’s track so this place is full of walkers, kids, bikes, dogs, you name it. On the up side, it was easy to feel like the fastest person there…well, except for the kids on bikes who seemed to have a blast racing the old guy trying to run fast. Tongue

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

Aamos, none of the above. Have her jog easily, whatever she is comfortable with and set no mileage goals whatsoever for this weekend. 25 or no, this is not a good time to push. Spareribs
                              dg.

Just a quick note to say he's ok. thanks Carolyn, Craneium, Spencer, Kate & Amos! I won't go into details except to say that he's home, he has to stay in a room away from the other critters for a few days, & we will have fun with meds for a while. But then all should be well! Aamos, oh come on. tell us about the game. It makes everything all tilty when you don't. sort of like Karin taking a rest day. Wink I wonder what Perch found out today. healing vibes to feet & ankles. Have a safe trip back, Erika. I think you should stop in Detroit. Dennis says thanks. He isn't really fuzzy. I just can't hold a camera still.