Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 10.23.17 (Read 36 times)

Rest day.  Put a new garage door opener up with DS in his garage.  Been doing lots of handyman stuff this past few days.  Could be a third career?

Ordered new shoes - Saucony Guide 10.  First pair still has about 200 miles left on them, but found a good deal on Amazon.  They've been good for my PF, even though the toe box is a bit tighter than I'd like.

Halloween candy?  I go for the pure sugar stuff, I'm not a chocolate fan.  Skittles, Starburst - tied for my fave.

I guess everyone heard about the "short" marathon in Wisconsin?  Can you imagine the disappointment if you PR'd or BQ'd?  I feel sorry for all involved - runners and planners/directors (who will take immense heat).

Interesting to see everyone's candy preferences.

I'm a bachelor this week, so I need to go forage for food.  DW is an amazing cook and I have no desire to cook, so when she's out of town I am helpless.

Good evening all....

Marathon Maniac #957

Opus - my first marathon (at age 41) was rerouted at the last minute due to flooding.  I found out the next day it was nearly 1.5 miles short.  I was so frustrated - I had trained all winter for my first marathon and didn't feel like I had really completed one.  I thought, "Darn it, now I have to do ANOTHER one!"  So I trained all summer and ran the Air Force Marathon and qualified for Boston.  I thought, "Darn it, now I have to do ANOTHER one!"  So, I trained all winter and ran 3 marathons in 5 weeks and became a Marathon Maniac, and it became sort of a habit....

Candy - I love Snickers, but the minis, which I believe have the right balance of chocolate and filling.  Same with Butterfinger minis.  And Krackle Bars.  And Mr. Goodbars.  And caramels.  And malted milk balls. And candy corn.  And, and, and.....

No run for me today, but about 30 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hi friends - back home from DC and my first runcation with my Sole Sisters!!

Fun weekend, the MOST emotional marathon out of my measly 7 and my last!! I walked too much Saturday which didn't help, but think this bad cough I have had for the past 2 weeks took way more of a toll on my body than I anticipated. The Blue Mile at 12-13 has photos of fallen military then family members holding flags and Wear Blue/Run to remember --- I was wearing the names of 2 marines who lost their lives on my back for a friend and tapped their photos as I passed them. It was unbelievable, I was sobbing. Shortly after that, I realized my effort felt too hard for where I was in the race and by mile 20 I felt like I was in trouble. I wasn't really sweating anymore, my arm hair was standing up and I was nauseous. I made the decision at that time that I was going to walk as much as needed to just finish and not end up in the med tent. It was so hot and sunny, runners were dropping out, med tents were full, people puking on the sides - I really didn't want that to happen. So I walked, jogged, walked and jogged. It was my slowest marathon ever, but I have no regrets. Monday my primary care doc was telling me not to run - not an option. The marines were amazing -- all along the course from start to finish. I kept thanking them and telling them all how awesome they are!!  So very thankful for being able to run and finish!!

Taking a 10 day - 2 week break from running then focusing on strength training. I never felt great on any of my long runs after 15-16 miles so I think I need to listen to my body and change things up.

Going to check back on how busy all of you were over the weekend!!

denise

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

There were so many posts, today, that I would like to comment on....I just don't have time.

I love all candy...I just stopped eating it many years ago.  Don't feel sorry for me...I really don't miss it...much.

I did the kids' workout of 6 x 400's then went and did 3 more 1.5 "strength" miles.  Total for the day was 11.5.  I'm running out of time with these kids.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

metalmancpa

6.4 easy miles, 9:03 pace. Marathon is this Sunday, my first. Am I ready? Yes and No. But I've decided to run it just because I've put enough work in this year to do so, and feel I've earned the right to stand at that starting line. I just want to start and finish, enjoy myself, and whatever the finish time is, it is. I'm not nervous, apprehensive, anything of the sort.

I cannot believe M&Ms are not the unanimous candy choice! Between peanut, almond, peanut butter, milk and whatnot how can there not be an M&Ms to top all other candies!

Running, yes I am back to running. I managed a 10 mile run this morning. Yes, it was the same Monday morning you all experienced. Alas, no more running on Monday during your Sunday. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

I cannot believe M&Ms are not the unanimous candy choice! Between peanut, almond, peanut butter, milk and whatnot how can there not be an M&Ms to top all other candies!

Well I did post that Almond M&Ms were about right up there with Snickers. And I also love the dark chocolate M&M's. I toast up my own almonds (never found a ready-to-purchase version I like) and love them still warm with some dark chocolate M&M's... oh boy....

5.2 easy'ish miles tonight. Left the office just before 5, quite a bit later than I'd planned, and it's noticeably darker. Won't be long now it'll be dark by late afternoon. But hey, in less than 2 months, we'll start gaining daylight again! It's a never-ending thing here.

Mariposai

5.2 easy'ish miles tonight. Left the office just before 5, quite a bit later than I'd planned, and it's noticeably darker. Won't be long now it'll be dark by late afternoon. But hey, in less than 2 months, we'll start gaining daylight again! It's a never-ending thing here.

You are such an inspiration!!!

I agree about the M&M, with any choice of nuts.

Twocat, way to go with your 10 miler today. Impressive.

Deez4boys. Enjoy your time off from running and way to go with your XT plan.

I did go out for a lovely 3 miles run today  after work. I have planned to go out at noon, but before I knew it, it was 5:30. Tomorrow will be a day full of driving and late meetings, but I hope to fit in at least a two miler.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Quickadder

SRD for me today.

My vote goes to the Mini Snickers. They are my marathon fuel, which is appropriate as Snickers were originally called Marathon in Britain.

Metal, that is the perfect mindset for enjoying your first marathon.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Marathon Maniac #957

Deez - I am amazed you were able to finish, given how sick you have been.  Probably should have sat this one out, but I understand that sometimes you just can't do that.  Way to go on finishing and bringing it in, in spite of the difficulties.

Metalmancpa - which marathon?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."