Masters Running

New Years Eve and New Shoes..............ohboyohboy (Read 35 times)

Lots of new shoes here today. I am running in a new pair but bought them a while ago and don't like them very much. I will run in them this winter. The new Brooks Adrenaline's seem a lot stiffer than the previous models. I tried the Transcend model this year and really liked them ( and do have a new pair of those in the closet too).

Our crab leg and prime rib buffet was pretty good, messy, but good. They had a good salad on the salad bar too, greens with raisins and blackberries with a raspberry vinaigrette dressing. We were home by 8pm and watched a little tv 😉. Twocat, I have the dvd's for a week and can renew them twice so that works out ok.

Holly, I can't believe that you get that kind of treatment, hope it gets better.  Jay is running? Does that take as much concentration as racewalking does? I don't know how many mikes I ran this year but should go tally them up soon.

After puttering around the house house all morning I finally got out for a run around the lake, 4.7 miles in more than an hour 😕

Oh well, it was sunny, not too icy but had to be careful. 22 degrees and felt like 6 with the wind. Getting practice for the Chilly Cheeks 10 mile in April. This is the first run around the lake in 6 weeks or so and I am starting to stiffen up. I just ordered "The Stick" but have not used it yet.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

SteveP

Another failure for me for 2016.  This year has been a struggle in many ways, but I still have many blessings to count, so I need to focus on them.

On to 2017!

That's like a page out of my journal.  In 2017 people will be disappointed. I'll be disappointing myself less frequently. The DD I had the most tension with is the one who is nearly doting on me now. If it means anything, I think you're an extremely neat person.

Gets me to just over 185 miles for the month, the most since June.

Yay!!!!!!!

The last run of the year may have been the most interesting. Tag, DD#2's beagle, Honey and I headed out for the trails. As soon as we got out the drive DD#1 asked if her pup, Mia could go.  By the time we got to the trail, day light of the way back was going to be sketchy. Who doesn't like a challenge?

Right way, there were some large animal prints in the new snow. Because of our dogs smelling while running, I never made them out.  Since there wasn't any people tracks, I doubt they were from a dog. Oh well, maybe next time I'll see.

3/4 of a mile along the Manistee River, we hear something big splashing around in the river. The last time I heard something that size. it was s dude snorkeling. At 28F, and the swift current, it probably wasn't a swimmer. The hounds and I got to a swampy part. One the other side of the river, a deer had fallen in and couldn't get out. It would pause to regroup and then try again.

On the warmest day of the year, I couldn't swim across and help. There are zero trails on the other side and there is much swamp. All I could do is watch and hope. Eventually, the poor thing made it out. Unfortunately, there other deer in the area had not set up a warming tent.

Off we went.

It was getting near sunset. The trail is clearly marked and Tag has never gotten us lost. so on we went.

Wait!! What??? We found alternate transportation for the trip out. I called the county sheriff while running. The dispatch asked if, it wasn't too difficult, could I carry the bike out. If she had said, "If it's not too dumb, can you carry the bike out?", it would still be there. I told her I'd grab it on the return trip. And we kept running.

After 48 min out, we head back. Honey way in one hand with the leash wrapped around the handle of the bike. On slippery down hills with an evil beast pulling, I used the bike to slow the descent by either skidding the rear wheel side ways as a break or blatantly sliding into trees with the bike absorbing most of the impact. (I fear I may have damaged the rear derailer).

It was too dark to see the trail markings. We ran along. In the past, the furthest I had ever run with a bike had simply been across streams or gorges. This was a new one.

At one point, it as dark enough were I could barley make out our tracks. Mia was keeping very close and nearly getting underfoot. On we ran.

Before I knew it, all I could see is Tag's outline ahead. Honey, the bike and I ran the path of least resistance. Mia stayed close. Eventually, the trail opened enough to where I knew it was the road!! Good times!!!

Tag relaxed on the way out. Honey used him as a booster seat.

Mia was done.

I was late for dinner and in the dog house.

SteveP

Mike E

MM #5615

Glad you made it out of there, Steve.

Holly--I wish I knew what to tell you.  Like, Starr said, I can't believe you get that kind of treatment.  You are not a failure.