Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 9.23.17 (Read 26 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Our nephew called yesterday morning to tell us that the ferries to/from Martha’s Vineyard had not started running again after TS Jose appeared, and there were already quite a few people who had been waiting a day or two to get on/off the island. We agreed that this wasn’t the best weekend for a visit. So DW and I stayed home, spending most of the day working on our respective work projects. We’re going to try for Martha’s Vineyard and the lighthouse again next weekend.

Friday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (2.2 morning miles with stomach distress)
    Dave (10 morning miles, just short of dropping dead)
    Tramps (20 minutes RUNNING/walking at exact same pace for each run/walk segment)
    PBJ (7 miles planned)
    HopesMom (nighttime quartet rehearsal)
    Tomwhite (40 min RC with trail boots in 88° temps)
    JTV (4+ morning RW miles)
    Holly (1500 yards in the pool + 15 min lower body weights & core)
    Catwhoorg (6.5 lunchtime miles)

Enjoy the music festival, as tiring and hot as it will be, KSA.

Yeah, Dave, if it hurts too much, don’t do it.

Congrats on getting back to running, Tramps. Nice pacing!

Keep up the good work, PBJ.

Enjoy the 35th anniversary chorus party, HopesMom.

Happy Birthday, Claire - amazing!

I’ll tell you all about the lighthouse after next weekend, Evanflein. Sorry about your weather downturn.

JTV - is Elliot Denman one of the racewalkng coaches you’ve worked with? I don’t know him, but he has a great reputation in Nj and elsewhere. You’re doing great, so keep up the good work. I’m glad you found a pacer for your DW for the OCNJ Half.

Apparently we’ve got your hot weather heading this way too, Holly. Good idea to get out early on Sunday for 20-miler. Meanwhile, great pool work.

Twocat, here is the link to the potato/cabbage pancakes recipe. Enjoy!

Tet - have faith - your rain will return.

I went 4.4 EZ RW miles this morning. Since I'm home for the weekend now, I looked for a race to jump into tomorrow. I found 2 possibilities - one is a relatively small 5K where I could probably do reasonably well, and maybe even score an AG award, even though there is no RW div. The other is a larger, USATF 10K championship race, so there will be lots 'o fast folks, and I'll be lucky not to come in DAL. I haven't decided yet which way I'll point the car. Which race would you do?

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mornin' jay......

....jtv//.......lemme know if you need any info on Hip Implants..........unfortunately I have a Working Knowledge..

========

30-min PoolRun with letters

.......off to knoxville

.........Good Running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

mrrun

Jay - I was wondering if the ferries were running - good move.  I'd opt for Lone Gull probably see more friends

Interesting article in NYT about physical limits looking at berlin marathon tomorrow

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/22/opinion/marathon-eliud-kipchoge-world-record.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=opinion-c-col-left-region&region=opinion-c-col-left-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region

we're off on a hike with Henry's DS and family so no running today

marj

I don't mind good competition, but I would not enjoy being absolute last, so I would opt for the 5K and add on some training miles.

10.2 for me this morning.  Hot and humid and it was not a confidence builder for next week's marathon, let's just say.  HR was high and it was a struggle.  But it's done and now I'm spending today and tomorrow at a music festival with 25000 other people.  It will be in the mid to high 80s.  What could go wrong?

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Mariposai

Happy Saturday my master friends. I hope you are having a terrific day. Today was the Autumn Leaf fun run here. The weather was perfect for a race. The participants had a great time. We raced a lot of food for the food bank. I ran the race as a cheerleader to a few ladies whom I am encouraging to be more active. 5 miles total for the day.

Carpe Diem

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mariposai

Happy Saturday my master friends. I hope you are having a terrific day. Today was the Autumn Leaf fun run here. The weather was perfect for a race. The participants had a great time. We raced a lot of food for the food bank. I ran the race as a cheerleader to a few ladies whom I am encouraging to be more active. 5 miles total for the day.

Carpe Diem

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Dave59

Who's getting up at 3:00 AM to watch the Berlin Marathon?  I guess those in Alaska can watch it before they go to bed.

I ran 3 on the treadmill at the gym at lunch.

coastwalker I would do the 10K for sure. No shame in coming in DFL (I think you mixed up abbreviation there ).  Also, thank you for the link to the recipe. It looks really good.

tomwhite I hope you have a good time in Knoxville.

mrrun I was listening to something about about someone's calculation as to what the very fastest someone will ever be able to run a marathon. From past experience, when an expert says this is some sort of limit (that does not involve the speed of light) they are typically wrong.

RunnerKSA well there are days when the weather gets in the way. It was like that here too. My DW and I both struggled a bit.

mariposai congratulations on getting another Autumn Leaf run into the books. I know how hard you have worked to develop that event.

Dave59 I am recording the race. Tomorrow I will be careful not to read about the race in the morning. Then when I go down to use the elliptical I will watch the race, sans commercials and runner vignettes.

I made it 22 today. But it was tough. Last week was a lot easier. A combination of a high dew point and 82 degree temperatures by the end of the run made the last few miles quite a struggle. DW had a similar experience on her run. She thinks she ran 7 and walked 1. More interesting than all that is the relive of my run. It contains four pictures. The first is the entrance to a golf course that is part of my route. The loop is a bit under 2 miles, but somehow it seems like the longest stretch on my route. The second picture is my mental opposite. It is the walking path that I run when exiting Saugatuck Island. I always think my loop around the island goes really fast. The third picture is of a harbor where a friend of mine normally docks his boat. But not last week or this one. The annual boat show has him (and all others) booted out somewhere. You can see the tents for the show in the background. Finally, the fourth picture is at the end of a really tough stretch! Hillspoint Road is takes up a mile of my final 2.5 miles on any long run. It is almost all uphill. Totally whipped me today!

https://www.relive.cc/view/g14433604907

evanflein if you want to add pictures and you do not have a club account, you have to do that within a half hour of uploading your run. You also need the pictures on your cell phone. Go to the relive app. You will see a short fat pencil icon in the middle of the screen. Click on it and it should show you the pictures you took that day as a default set to add. You can also add older pictures by clicking on the + signs on either end of the pictures it shows. If there is a particular picture you do not want, long press the picture. A new screen will pop up. Click on the garbage can.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Love the relive!  I've never heard of that!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

TammyinGP

Hi All!

Had our 2nd XC meet today. It was an Invitational race with many schools participating. more than the usual 5 or 6 at most meets. Team did well although a few couldn't make it since it was a Saturday. 
                      Came home and ran 7 miles so I could get in some miles as well. tomorrow morning might meet up with a couple friends for a trail run.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

I am enjoying watching the Relive runs with Twocat and Erika.  I don't carry my phone on my runs, or I might try that.  Twocat - heck-of-a LR, bty.

DH and I went at the security camera install again, which means I spent a lot of time in the attic crawlspace - tiny, cramped, 800+ degrees, scratching my back on the roof nails that were sticking out, and literally dripping sweat.  Joy.  We got two of the cameras up and running, though, the DVR programed and the apps on our phones.  The other two cameras will have to wait, as we are busy the next few weekends.

We managed to talk DH into being a bit adventurous and had Indian food last night - chicken tikka masala, rice and naan.  It was quite good and DH liked it, although I am not entirely sure it was good night-before-20-miler food.  We will see....

6.25 miles for me on Saturday.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."