Masters Running

New years Resolution 8k RR (Read 263 times)

Annual New Years Eve afternoon race at YMCA 8k run 5k walk sponsored by Bauman's running center. I have run this almost every year since 01, but was hoping for PR for race if not a new overall pr. The temps were perfect around 39 at start the footing was less than desirable with the first 1/2 mile snow covered with about an inch of snow. After that the traction was ok but not perfect. The coarse runs through the Pierce Park area around Mott College. The last mile of this run is a repeat of the first mile so the snowy area comes into play twice. My goal was to run 8:00 min. miles and finish under 40 min. I have been suffering fron sciatic nerve and slight hamstring pull for almost a month so I thought this might not be possible. I hit first mile at around 7:30 mile and was at 15:30 at 2 miles. My hamstring would grab every downhill so I had to be careful not to over stride. At 5k I was around 24:30 having really slowed down I was able to pick-up pace in the 4th and last.9 finishing at 40:49 a PR for this race, but over a min.from best time 39:40. I placed 4/11 in the 200-219 weight class, I weighed in 210 in am,fat-boy!!! and 142/377 OA. Halllar also ran this race but we were not able to hookup, maybe next race Larry. Run fast run long. Marathon Derrick
    SteveP

Sweet time there Derrick. Seeing your RR is a reminder to get ready for the Bayshore.

SteveP

Nice PR for you in spite of your injuries and some snowy conditions! Thanks for the report and WTG!
          nice race, derrick. Thanks for the RR
          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
            Sounds like a good time under the conditions, Derrick, especially that first mile. You should try those YakTrax thingies -- they are really good for that packed-snow situation. But finishing 4th in class is great, especially since the class is strictly by weight and not age-adjusted.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Good job, Fat Boy. If my knee doesn't get better soon so I can run some miles, I may be joining you in the Clydesdale Division. Dark Horse
              I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                nice race Derrick!

denise

Nice RR and PR marathon derrick! Sciatic problems are awful. I'm glad you ran well.
                    Nice PR on a snowy course, Derrick. I'm glad your injuries didn't act up too badly. Congrats on a great job. TomS