Masters Running

Training week ending September 16-17, 2023 (Read 6 times)

Alexander R

Greetings, runners! Please tell us about your past training week and upcoming goals.

Alexander R

Mon 8mi (1:12) treadmill
      Tue 8.1mi (1:35)
      Wed 8.2mi (1:30)
      Thu 8.2mi (1:23) 2 miles fast, raced some random strangers in the park
      Fri 10mi (1:48)
      Sat 10.3mi (1:52)
      Sun 5k race (20:34) 1st AG, +3.4mi w/up and c/down

Total: 59.3 miles

Sunday was a local 5k, the final race in the "triple crown" series. My DW and DD also completed all three races, DD got 3rd in her AG "triple crown" and I got 2nd. As a consolation, I won my AG in the last race, but only because Peter was injured. He was ahead of me after the 1st mile, but clearly not 100% as I was able to pass him and then to hold on to about 20 second lead until the end. DW was unhappy with her time, but then later we found out that she stopped several times during the race to take pictures. Well, you cannot have it both ways. It's either a great 5k time or great pictures!

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Alexander - Congrats on the AG win last week and to you and DD for the AG podiums in the triple crown.  Yeah, you can't complain about a 5k time if you're taking photos.  Did the random strangers know they were racing you?

I had a good week.  The 61.9 miles I ran is tied for my second highest weekly mileage ever.  The "speed" work (Hansons calls it strength work) I'm doing now is based on 10 seconds/mile faster than marathon pace (interestingly an article on fivethirtyeight said data shows people who run intervals in training are about 3% faster in a marathon than people who don't).  My long run went really well, with more elevation in 16 miles than I'll deal with in the full 26.2 of the NYCM.  My run the day after was, predictably, slow.  I'm loving the cooler temps we suddenly have.  One thing I have to keep in mind:  the second wave starts at 9:40, which will feel like 10:40 since it's the day after the time change.  I need to think about training later in the morning since the marathon will effectively be a late morning/early afternoon run for me.

Date Workout Type Distance Duration Pace Temp
        9/11/2023   Easy   8.0 mi 1:31:34 11:27  72
        9/12/2023  6 x 1mi/400m Interval 11.7 mi 1:56:37   9:59  68
        9/14/2023  8 at Marathon Pace  Pace 11.1 mi 1:45:40   9:32  60
        9/15/2023   Easy   7.0 mi 1:18:19 11:12  56
        9/16/2023   Easy   8.1 mi 1:30:45 11:13  55
        9/17/2023  895' or 988' elevation (Garmin/Strava) Long 16.0 mi 2:49:23 10:35  55
        5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
        10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

TammyinGP

Excellent week of training for you Fred! Well done!

And nice racing for you and your wife, Alexander! 

Last week was much better as far as how I felt during my running.

Tues: 3.4 morning miles

Thur: 3.5 morning miles + 4.2 evening miles with the weekly running group

Sun: 17.5 road miles (3:08)

total: 28.6 miles

Last week was a hot week so a little challenging to get in the running. Saturday was my day set aside for my long run but then we woke up to very smoky air, so decided to make that my "canning corn" day and keep fingers crossed that Sunday would be better. If not, I was mentally preparing myself to go to the gym and run the TM.   But Sunday was only a little hazy and in the early morning with the cooler air, it didn't feel too bad at all. This road run felt good. I decided to run the roads instead of trails for a couple reasons. One I wanted to get in just sustained running at a comfortable pace instead of the walk breaks that come with trail running. And two, I wanted to watch the Niner game at 1:00 so didn't want to be out there too long. lol

This week I have a long trail run on the schedule and I'm heading down to Humboldt county (about 3 hr drive for me) to run that with Leslie, aka fattozig.  I think her plan is 20 and depending on how I feel, I may add more on to it. Or maybe stop in the Redwoods on the drive back home and run this newish trail I've heard of "Trail of the Titans" I think it's called.

Tammy

pfriese

Still late on posting.

M - 6.5 miles (9:56/mile)

T - rest day

W - 7.4 miles (9:43/mile)

Th - 6.2 miles (10:06/mile)

F - rest/travel day

Sa - Pike's Peak Ascent race, 13.2 miles (29:02/mile)

Su - rest day

Total - 33.3 miles

Tammy follows me on Strava. So, she knows I had a hard time with the Pike's Peak Ascent. This was my 4th time ascending the mountain. This time I had altitude issues starting around 10,000 feet. I mainly had issues with light-headedness and had to stop frequently to clear my head.

I'll be taking some needed rest time for the next few weeks.

Paul

Alexander R

Did the random strangers know they were racing you?

Fred, I think yes, they were fully aware. The park is not that crowded and when a random person passes you, you notice. And then when you pass them back, almost immediately after that and with "authority" they notice too. It gets pretty crazy sometimes ;-)) I almost always regret those spontaneous races, but inevitably they happen from time to time.

Congratulations on successfully building the mileage, 61.9 miles is basically 100km by the way. That is a lot of running. Very solid 16 miler too, you are really getting it done.

Hi Tammy, very nice 17.5 miler! I agree 100% that sustained running on the road for 3hrs is a great workout. It might not be as much fun as trails, but this is definitely excellent training.

Paul, congratulations on your 4th Pike's Peak Ascent! This is a super-hard race and even though the distance is 13 miles, I think it is quite clear that the total effort is similar to a full marathon if not more.