Masters Running

Frigid Friday 12-16-16 (Read 24 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Friday all.

Didn't make my MMTD this morning, since the weather didn't cooperate.  5° at the start and 4° at the end and I only did 3.1 miles.  But I did end up overdressing a bit.  Actually could have downgraded from the full fleece underlayer that I had.  I will say the full face mask did feel good coming back up the lake into the wind.

Enke--wasn't MBE like door 15 or something like that.  Hope you don't have to wait QUITE that long for compatibility.

Nothing like a little potty humor to liven up the daily.  Jay, one of his friends, I did have a rock pun off on FB yesterday.  Probably not quite the same.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

..mornin' stumpy//....yeah, Frigid is the Word.......

waiting for it to hit 40-degrees before I head out,

tomorrow

the High is 70 and the Low will be 32?????

.....Climate Change?? Naw, just a Myth

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

mrrun

Stumpy - you're a lot braver then me!  I cross-trained by moving furniture around this morning.  Yesterday ran4 glorious miles in Charleston in shorts (everyone else in long pants & long sleeve shirts) with a sunrise and full moon.  And yes, twocat - we lunched at Magnolias with wonderful food.  Actually all the food, drink, and time spent was lovely

Back to reality Friday,

marj

...well,

headed out at 38-degrees to the Greenway....

35-min HH,

taking it easy for the first couple of weeks, but I'm really going to like this

........good running guys......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

wildchild

Carolyn

Yesterday's daily cracked me up!  Yeah, trail runners can just step slightly off the trail during a race, behind a very small tree or bush or rock, and that signifies "privacy."   Unless there are non runners out on the trail - hikers don't quite get it!

I'm still at Red Rocks near Vegas, and it's warm here, but last night there was a rain/wind storm that rocked the van!  Today it's still windy, so we're taking a rest day in town to run errands.  I've been climbing more than running, and my climbing is improving greatly!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Yeah, trail runners can just step slightly off the trail during a race, behind a very small tree or bush or rock, and that signifies "privacy."  

I figure, if I close my eyes, no one can see me. 

No run for me today, swimming (48 lengths/24 laps) and 20 minutes of weights and core.

Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I figure, if I close my eyes, no one can see me. 

Thanks you guys! I've had a case of the Christmas "blues" lately and yesterday's daily really had me laughing! I have to add one more. I run a trail not too far from home, most days really early which has me homeward bound around 6:30 am or so. Running that early for several months, I've never seen a soul on that trail! Then, one day nature called and I couldn't hold it. I stepped off the trail behind a couple of tall bushes and took care of my problem. I was pulling up my running capris (not quite all the way there) when a guy ran past me. He just smiled and kept on going. Probably thought "who let this old lady out of the dementia ward?" 

6 miles on the elliptical this morning and 30 minutes of weights and core.

Big snowstorm here this weekend. We got two or three inches so far and now there's a temporary break. All hell is supposed to break loose later today with a total of 12-18 inches before it's all over tomorrow. And then the forecast calls for a HIGH temp of -5 during the day on Sunday and Monday. I looked at the weather map. It's warmer by Erika than it is here! I stopped at the grocery store on the way home from work to get some baking stuff. Figured if I was going to be home bound I might as well make some Christmas cookies and candy. I had to park about a block from the store, and every checkout lane was open with about 10 people waiting to pay for their groceries. The apocalypse must be coming....

I was running a trail a few years ago when I really had to go.  I thought I stepped far enough off the trail, and of course I had not seen anyone all morning.  I squatted down behind some ferns, when just then a woman and her dog came running by on the trail.  The woman would not have seen me, but boy did her dog ever pick up on my scent having left the trail, exact footpath I had made, and he came bounding right towards me.  Caught!  Luckily she called him back immediately.

No run today.

Job #2 interview went very well, I thought, but I have thought that so many times before and not gotten an offer.  I really liked the people I spoke with - you could tell they all got along well.  And one woman I had met at a networking event during the summer, and we had spent quite a bit of time chatting that day.

12K run/walk Sunday.  Picked up my shirt - I like it!  Sad to think I am going to be so much slower than I was the last time I did this race, about 8 years ago, but hey, I'm still out there plugging away.

Stumpy - Mr. Blue Eyes was number 33!!  Yes, hopefully I won't have to go to that many interviews to get an offer.  With dating, I swore I would give up if I ever hit 100.  If he ever dumps me, that's it.  Single forever.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Enke--just like MBE, I'm sure your next job will be worth the wait...and that guy would be a fool to dump you!

Hey...did Jay say he was going someplace?  Where the heck is he?

When it's that cold, stumpy, I'd rather overdress than under.  Good for you for getting out there.

I'm with you on the Christmas blues, Jlynne.  I finally went out and did some Christmas shopping after work, thinking it might spark something...nope.  I think one of my problems is that all of my kids (except for Ryan and Eric) are heading to Florida for Christmas...although, Ryan is coming home, so that will be nice....of course, we had to shell out $650.00 for a plane ticket!  Maybe that's my problem.

I think we're done sending out Christmas cards.  We went through all 400 and ended up getting 50 more...and went through those, too!  We're nuts!

So, after shopping, I came home and hopped on the treadmill for 4 miles.  We're getting the snow that Jlynne talked about, too.  So, I'll be shoveling all day, tomorrow.  One of these years, I'm going to have to break down and buy a snow blower...if my kids ever stop sucking me dry, maybe I could afford one.

Okay--that's all I got.  See ya!

Mike E try eBay for a used snow blower. You can set up an alert for when a used one comes up in your neighborhood. I bet sometime in the early summer you will find one with hardly any use and cheap. That is how I buy gym equipment. I once got an incline board for $10!

enkephalin good luck with landing one of the two jobs that you are still in the hunt for.

My back was fine today. Tomorrow I try running again. Current plan is to do 4 on the TM. Rain all weekend in the forecast and you know the rule.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/