Masters Running

YakTrax Advice? Experience? (Read 333 times)

New skirt in town

I just bought some YakTrax, as we head into our 4th serious storm of the winter. Anyone have any advice or comments about using them? Did you find your gait changed? (Forgive X-posting to KR) --Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Robin, I just got a set for Christmas too. Unfortunately, the conditions here have changed and I can't try them out just yet. I think they're best on hard-packed snow, and we've pretty much lost all of that. The trail has re-frozen to a very rough, icy surface, and I'd be afraid to try running on that with or without the YakTrax. tselbs has some experience from last year with them, so maybe he'll chime in when he sees the subject. By the way, I was afraid we'd lost you to KR since I haven't noticed any posts from you recently. Good to see this one. Big grin

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I bought mine at the beginning of last year. I have run on them in ice and snow, as well as on bare pavement. I know they say you're not supposed to do the latter, but sometimes I don't have any choice when the conditions change. I have not noticed any change in my gait. I don't even think about them when I'm running. I'm very slow, though, so it might be different for faster runners. Just make sure you adjust them carefully so that they don't dig into the top of your shoes and hurt your feet. If they're hurting at all, stop and fix them! Doug, to me, I'm happy when I see rough surfaces - they are better than the glare ice, at least for me. I'm a very tentative person when it comes to bad footing, and the YakTrax have made it possible for me to run through the Maine winter. Good luck! Teresa
        Jlynne

Robin, I've been out in mine several times this winter. The trick is to not feel overconfident when you have them on, because running too fast can lead to slips and falls. I don't think the Yax Trax affect your gait as much as the uneven snow levels. Running on the street where plows have gone through usually means bare spots in some areas, tire ruts, etc. I agree - running on hardpacked snow is the best, so hopefully you have a route that will enable you to do this. Bare concrete is the worst - it's like running on mattress springs! You'll adjust and find your comfort zone, and there's nothing better than running outside instead of treadmills. Good luck -
          stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Robin, just ran 5 miles on mine this morning. I don't notice much difference with them on, but can tell a bit of difference when they come off. this is the second winter I've used them and swear by them. As jlynne says, you can't get too confident with them. I concentrated on keeping my weight over my feet (which you're supposed to do anyway, I think) and had no problem running on a mixture of loosen and frozen granular, ice, and bare pavement.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I'm sure not an expert, but did use my Yaks several times last year. I was concerned about whether they would change the mechanics of my gait and footfall, negate some the shoe's ability to protect my feet ankles, and knees, and possibly lead to injury. I am not aware that they caused any problems in this area. I never ran with them for a number of consecutive runs so don't know if that would be a problem. I agree with roch that they are best on hard packed snow. On smooth, glare, ice, you can still slip around but probably less than without them. As Teresa said, they don't recommend running with them on pavement. However, when your route has some hard packed snow, some ice, and some bare pavement, you're going to run with them on pavement. If the footing gets better during your run or if it ends up not being as bad as you expected, it's not hard to slip them off and carry them with you. I did have one of the rubber strips break on one of mine. I don't know if it was the pavement or not. I suspect it was due to running on the shoulder of the highway where there is gravel. When I hit spots without ice or snow, the gravel may have caused the problem. I bought a new pair this year because I think that I was more sure footed with them in bad conditions, I hadn't had a problem injuring myself with them, and I felt that, even though I could still slip on glare ice, if they saved me one fall with a bad sprain or broken bone they were worth a whole lot more than what I paid for them. I didn't do anything special, just put them on and ran. The only suggestion I would make about putting them on is that it's easier to put them on when you are wearing your shoes. Holding your shoes in your lap and trying to put them on is more difficult. For what it's worth, that's what I've got to contribute. Good luck. TomS
                Hi Robin and all, I have Yak Trax and find that the conditions are rarely such that I can use them for an entire run. I run on a mixture of asphalt surfaces and trails. It seems to depend on plowing proficiency more than anything else. When I hit ice or asphalt patches they throw my gait off a bit too much. I use them for bike path runs where I know there will be a layer of snow for cushion. I envy the folks here who seem to use them more consistently. They just don't work as well for me. I was really pumped when I first used them, but they aren't my only Mother Nature (Western, MA) butt-- kicking solution. I also wear Nike Storm "Crested Butte" sneakers when it's really icy. They have awesome "gription". I also put screws into an old pair of summer trainers and that can work as well. In fact, I got that from a post on Cool Running about screw shoes. I also wear Teva trail shoes for sleety, wet runs since they are gore-tex. I am the beneficiary of my son's rapidly growing feet and actually claimed his shoes (only worked last year). I detest running on a treadmill, so will go to as many lengths as possible to run outside and not lose my footing. The forecast is now saying 5-9 inches here tonight (12/30), so I may be out of luck for a day or two. I don't know if this helps at all, but you might look into ice-spikes for some of the icy runs. Yak Trax don't work as well for me on ice. I also see that you'll be doing the Boston prep 16 miler. I will be there as well and I would love to meet up. What do you say?! TheProFromDover too.... k a g e o r g e @ comcast dot net Safe and secure running to you! CNYrunner P.S. Teresa...I saw your mention of Wengen. I agree---gorgeous! I was born in Stafa, just outside Zurich----so beautiful. I took this week off from daily posting for family, but we'll have to compare notes on the daily thread soon.

New skirt in town

Thanks for the advice, all! I think I'll give them a try tomorrow morning if the forecasts hold true with their predictions of several inches of record-breaking snow. I'll report in! roch--I'm trying out KR and this site, and I'll see where I end up. Things have been crazy over the holiday season, so I've had no time to post to one site, much less 2! CNYrunner--Yep, I'm in for the Derry 16-mile Boston Prep. As my DH said when we drove by there last weekend, "You love adversity. You should do it." So, I registered the next day. Let's meet up! And the Pro, too? *swoon* --Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA