Masters Running

Race Report: my 100th Marathon on Sept 25 (Read 27 times)

Joe618

Thanks to all of you for reading and "hearing" the wonderful experience marathon #100 turned out to be.   Yes, it's now embedded in our family for years. 

To some specific questions:

Dave59, no plans to quit.   Next major milestone for me is Marathon/Ultra #150.

mrrrun, thanks for the Boston invite!!   Working on a plan now to see if I can BQ a year from now, when I'll enter into the 70-74 qualifying time (4:20).  Plan is to try to run a 4:30 this spring and, if that works, train all summer for several attempts at 4:20 (really, 4:15) in the fall.   It seems a long ways off to me at the moment but I know I have to pay the price in training...part of the lesson of the Monumental Marathon, (I just posted the link to that report a few minutes ago).

Tet, you asked about "shoes on canoes"!!  As I recall, I saw no barefoot runners in this race at all.   Yet, for the canoe-carrying folks, I was so entranced by their balance and upper-body strength, I didn't look at their feet.   THAT would be truely amazing....

rochrunner, yes, I know of Ely, NV.   Actually had a colleague who moved to our town directly from Ely, NV.   It's in the middle of nowhere (as is Ely, MN) but in the desert.   An old silver mining town.   If they started a marathon there, I'd do it!!!

Thanks!!

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Loved your report.  That portage division just boggles my mind!

Quickadder

Thanks to all of you for reading and "hearing" the wonderful experience marathon #100 turned out to be.   Yes, it's now embedded in our family for years. 

To some specific questions:

Dave59, no plans to quit.   Next major milestone for me is Marathon/Ultra #150.

rochrunner, yes, I know of Ely, NV.   Actually had a colleague who moved to our town directly from Ely, NV.   It's in the middle of nowhere (as is Ely, MN) but in the desert.   An old silver mining town.   If they started a marathon there, I'd do it!!!

Wonderful race report. How about running the Marathon or Ultra (66K) at Ely in Cambridgeshire, England for your 150th?

In my college days I would usually have to change trains at Ely Station on my way to/from - the platform could be bitterly cold in the middle of winter - the town is surrounded by the Fens - an almost flat area with no shelter. I visited the town and its magnificent cathedral several times, including walking there with one of my college friends (about 18 miles along the banks of the rivers Cam & Ouse) one hot sunny day - we caught the bus back!

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Joe618

Wonderful race report. How about running the Marathon or Ultra (66K) at Ely in Cambridgeshire, England for your 150th?

In my college days I would usually have to change trains at Ely Station on my way to/from - the platform could be bitterly cold in the middle of winter - the town is surrounded by the Fens - an almost flat area with no shelter. I visited the town and its magnificent cathedral several times, including walking there with one of my college friends (about 18 miles along the banks of the rivers Cam & Ouse) one hot sunny day - we caught the bus back!

Now THAT'S a great idea!!   I just found the website for the race...amazingly, it occurred on the very same day I ran in Ely, Minnesota this fall!!

I had not even thought of this.   A trip back to England is on our bucket list but don't know when that'll be possible.   We visited Ely a long time ago on our only ever trip to England...magnificent and famous cathedral there of course.   And, oh my, is it ever flat there!!   I'm sure the wind howls through there in the winter.    Doing a marathon or the 66K ultra on the paths through the fens would be awesome. 

Now it's on my list.  Shoot, why not do it twice??   Once to just learn about it and then again for a significant milestone????? 

Thank you Quickadder for the local knowledge!!!! 

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.