Masters Running

Training week ending August 19-20, 2023 (Read 8 times)

Alexander R

Greetings, runners! Please tell us about your past training week and upcoming goals.

Alexander R

Mon 3.7mi (0:52) with DW
      Tue 9.7mi (1:43)
      Wed 5.6mi (1:18) with DW
      Thu 9.6mi (1:45)
      Fri 9.2mi (1:40)
      Sat 9.4mi (1:34)
      Sun 9.3mi (1:56)

Total: 56.4 miles

not much to report, just easy runs, base training.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Alexander - Your "base training" is still better than my best week in close to 4 years.  :-)  Thanks for your continued encouragement.  As to bag check, I agree it should be easier than "drop you bag in Central Park two days before the race."  I'm fortunate enough to have family meeting me after the race, so they'll have everything I need.

A good week of training for me.  My workouts went well and my weekly mileage total was my highest in four years at  53.4 miles.  I was especially pleased with my long run/hills run on Sunday.  Oddly, I'm becoming more and more confident in my ability to run the race, but less confident in my ability to finish it in my (somewhat aggressive) target of 4 hours.  I still have a solid two month of training to go, so no need to worry yet.

Date Workout Type Distance Duration Pace Temp
        8/14/2023  Track Ladder Repeats   8.2 mi  1:23:08  10:09  66
        8/15/2023   Easy   6.0 mi  1:11:19  11:54  72
        8/17/2023  7 @ marathon effort Pace 10.0 mi  1:43:18  10:20  73
        8/18/2023   Easy   7.1 mi  1:19:02  11:08  70
        8/19/2023   Easy   8.1 mi  1:32:47  11:28  63
        8/20/2023  750' of elevation Long 14.0 mi  2:25:06  10:22  63
        5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
        10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

TammyinGP

Hello!

Last week was tough to get in miles. Our mornings were relatively smoke -free but most afternoons got hazy/smokey. Not awful (like this week!) but enough that I didn't want to deep breath it in.

Mon: 4.2 miles

Thurs: 4 miles

Sat: 9 trail miles (1243 ft elev gain)

Sun: 6 miles

TOTAL: 23.2.

This week is pretty bad for smoke in our area. We got  a cool down thanks to Hilary, but no rain. She veered just off to our east when she came up to Oregon. We have SO many fires although the big smoke-makers are all in No. Cali, but I'm only about 40 miles from the border in the SW part of the state which is exactly where the highest priority fire in the nation is burning right now. So, we get all that smoke drift and we live in a valley so the smoke really settles in and makes itself comfy here.

So not sure what this week will hold for me and I need to be getting in my peak training weeks for the October 50k.

Tammy

pfriese

Late posting again.

M - rest day

T - 7.4 miles (9:56/mile)

W - 12 Mt. Scott miles (10:31/mile)

Th - 6.5 miles (9:50/mile)

F - 13.1 miles (9:41/mile)

Sa - rest day

Su - 11.1 miles (10:10/mile)

Total - 50.1 miles

That's some nice base training Alexander at >55 miles during a summer week. Fred, you should do well at NYC. Be careful though, I made the rookie mistake of going out too fast at the start and not respecting the bridges. I hit the wall hard at mile 19. Tammy, it really is tough running in smoke. And really, the heat up there has been a definite hindrance for your area.

Paul

Alexander R

Fred, yes, once you get out of the park and into the family reunion area things should be good, but that's likely to be more than an hour after you finish. The crowd beyond the finishing line is often shoulder to shoulder and barely moving. And the walk out of the park is long. Well, maybe now without the bag there is a way to get out of the park quicker. The poncho is fairly warm and warterproof, so it might be ok for a while. I've had some really painful experiences in the past, on cold days with rain it gets really dangerous really quickly. I remember one year my whole body started trembling and shaking really violently, I was getting close to hypothermia just waiting to get my bag.

53.4 miles is really good, congratulations! It's hard to run a good time in NY no matter what, it is just not a fast course and not a runner friendly race. Probably focusing on execution and doing everything right and on enjoying the experience is the way to do it. I'm supposed to know the course really well, but still some years I end up fading really badly in the second half anyway and it is not even clear why. It sort of sneaks up on you.

Nice week, Tammy! 4 runs, some trails and longer run with elevation. Sorry to hear about the smoke. We did get some of that in early June and it was really horrible for running, and for doing anything outside.

That is an excellent week, Paul, as always! Three double-digit runs, with a mountain climb! Mile 19 in NY is the Willis bridge ... just typing the name made me wince a bit, any mention of the Willis bridge is firmly associated with pain for me. We drove there a few years ago and I started grimacing and my wife asked if I was ok, I said, yes, it's just you know, it's the Willis bridge.