Masters Running

Sundaily, 11.10.19 (Read 38 times)

evanflein

Hey what's with you anti-coffee people? 

I know, right? My DH and I approach it more like Tramps and his DW. And geez, Leslie. We love Starbucks. I don't understand the folks who love Dunkin's coffee. But I'll go for any strong dark roast. Cafe Verona is our favorite... We love coffee.

Joe, that was a great race report! Sorry about the quad seizures, but hey... Deena! That's fantastic. And so good to hear about your son and his son's relationship. I will admit to being a little concerned about you doing this marathon after your flu, but you seemed to handle it pretty well.

Nice half for Dave! Way to get in a make up run in short order.

Jay, the women's RW winnner was faster than the men? And holy carp... a sub 2 hour marathon walking. That's incredible. Amazing fund raising for that race, too.

So I don't think I posted my run yesterday (maybe I did, too lazy to go back and check). Got in 10k after shoveling snow for almost 2 hours. Oy. Today I wasn't sure what I was going to do. I'd have been perfectly fine saying nah, no run today. But DH offered to take me up to campus where I have more options, and ok, let's go. I "needed" 8 miles to hit my 35 for the week that I want to be my minimum to make my mileage goal for the year, but sure didn't feel inspired to do it. But, I managed 8.6 miles today and overheated because it was almost 10° warmer than forecast. So, another week staying up with the pace bunny. I was going to take tomorrow off, but the forecast is so nice Monday and Tuesday, then it gets colder so maybe I'll take Wednesday off. We'll see. And hey, if anyone finds my running mojo out there, would you please tell it to come back? I'm tired of feeling so blah about running.

Joe618 congratulations on your marathon and run with your descendents!

tetsujin209 what is this soccer you speak of? Team sports are football, basketball and baseball. Occasionally, you hear of on odd game played in the northern tundra called something like ice hooky or ice hockey or some such. There is no "soccer."

Today was an hour on the elliptical. Then several hours to drive to visit my DW's aunt. Of course, along with the trip came my DW trying to talk me out of my Hong Kong trip in December.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Quickadder

The mileage game had me running back to back long runs this weekend trying to be a good captain. I suspect TammyinGP is doing the same for her team and that the results will be close.

13.6 miles this evening at 10:00 pace.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

SteveP

Holly, I love the picture of the the kids.

SteveP - Don't be jealous, but I just had to pick up a pair of the Batman Chucks today.....

Image may contain: shoes

OH THOSE SHOES!!!!!MY HEART!!!!!

Speaking of going slow with returns from injury, today I ran 4 miles and that is my max for this week. When I finished I the local running club was as well and one of my old friends was there for their post run meetup. The guy is a really fast runner. Easily qualifies for Boston kind of fast. Well, he is currently down to running 0.1 miles and walking for a half mile, then repeat a few times. Why? Because he is hurt and rather than let himself heal up, he keeps pushing it. I am worried that he is on his way to doing himself some permanent harm. My standard quip about this kind of situation is that if you cut your finger the skin will  come back stronger than ever. If you cut it off, it will not. I think he is busy cutting it off.

While I am doing stories about lack of patience, here is another. The day my surgeon reattached my hamstring, he also reattached one on another guy. (Two hamstring reattachments in one day is really, really unusual around here.) To add to coincidences, the other guy went to the same PT facility that I did. We had different therapists, but it was the same shop. He should have healed up faster and better than me. He is nearly half my age and had a cleaner (acute instead of chronic) tear. But, he was impatient. He started sitting up before being given the green light to do so. Plus, he was not all that good at keeping up on his rehab. I just ran a marathon, I am not sure he can run 100 yards.

I frequently remind myself that I am my own worst enemy.

Joe, I'm impressed with the three generation run. Thanks for the pictures.

Nice 1st AG Rock. I think our snow is here to stay. ggrrrr.

Leslie. Snork!!!!

I got 2.5 on the mill. After Church, I spent the day house cleaning and minor fix - it stuff.

SteveP