Masters Running

Gold Discovery Run (Read 370 times)

It sounds like a tough race, evan, but you were tougher.  Great job and congrats on the AG win.

TomS

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

The first 7 miles are all trail, some of it pretty "technical," a term I just realized this year what it actually means. An experienced ultra runner was telling a friend it was the most technical trail race he'd done in years. Hmmm, who knew? All our trail races look like this.

Just one more proof that Alaska in not for wimps  And it breeds strong runners, too.  Great race, Erika!!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

This was so much fun to read.  I would love to have a race near me that had these thrilling conditions, lots of up and down, trails and a sense of adventure to every mile.  No wonder your legs are sore with all that downhill, but good for you on the win.  Congrats.  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Yes, but where are the port-o-potties? 

Excellent job, Erika, on a tough course and especially with what you've been dealing with this year with your foot.  I read your report thinking, oh my poor toes would be so blistered.   How did your feet hold out in terms of that?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Holly, we don't need no porta potties on this one. Lots of bushes. The first thing everyone does when we get off the bus is head for the bushes pre-start! I did find some really nice blueberries up there, and had a couple, but stopped when I realized there had been an earlier bus up there, doing just what everyone on the 2nd bus was doing...

Foot was fine! Love those socks, and I did spray NewSkin on my problem area and the tops of my toes. My feet had room to move in my shoes but didn't get the blisters or nail damage as in past years. So that's all a big Yay! The only problem is this persistent soreness in my quads. Some say it's the course, which is true, but it's my lack of hill training. I've done this race 5 years in a row now, and this is the first time I've ever had soreness like this.

Nice racing there Erika and good news on the foot! Excellent age group win as well. Even if it wasn't a PR, it's still awfully impressive and that race profile is awesome.

I am with you on icing the legs after a tough run like that (either in my monster trash can I call Cruella or I make Mr. CNYrunner add ice cubes to the tub). Sorry about the quads and I hope the pain is easing back now.

Thanks for the great report!

wildchild

Carolyn

Just catching up on the posts I missed while I was away.  Congrats on your AG win!  A very enjoyable RR.  I know what you mean about technical trails - all ours are that way, too.  Just the way trails are supposed to be. 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.