Masters Running

A Great Sat - May 22nd - Runs - Races - and Interesting Stuff (Read 678 times)

Henrun

A good race day for both of us-although humid (always slows me down). We ran a 12K in N.H. Marj finished 5th but under the USAT age guidelines. I finished 1/1 (they created a special 'over 76 age group for a female runner and myself-she's much faster than me). Marj's DD ran the 5K while Marj watched the 2 grandkids and we picniced afterwards. A fun day for all.
      Awesome racing Marj and Henry! Congratulations! Come my way and run another NE Grand Prix/USATF race in August----Bridge of Flowers 10k in Shelburne Falls (8/14). You can rock the age groups all over.

Nice job on the races Marj and Henry!

So if I go run 23 miles in the heat I can lose 6 pounds?  It is tempting.....but

I did 4 miles EZ, guess my breathing really isn't 4/4 like I said.   It is more like 3/3 and also all over the place but still feels relaxed.

Then I donned the Vibram 5 fingers....quite a feet/feat to get the darn things on, but once on they feel really great.  I ran 0.62 miles up and down the street hoping not to run into my neighbours, they already think I'm weird.

Anyway, it felt great and I could have done a mile.  My left foot slaps down flat as it does in running shoes (but I can hear it louder in the Vibrams), but it doesn't hurt at all.  If I go faster it eventually turns into a mid-foot strike, I think.  The bottom of my feet were well protected from stones and pine cones.   A great alternative to going completely barefoot I'd say.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Henrun

cny - we did bridge of flowers several years ago - it  was fun in the 90 day, but we'll pass this year because we'll be in lenox area and leaving aug 1 - and don't want to turn around 2 weeks later.

enke - i agree with getting the vibrams on, but they're fun to run with.  2 folks ran a 5k in them today in NH - I'm not ready to run races yet - if ever,

marj

Marathon Maniac #957

After my first 5 miles I had drank 2 liters of water already,  

Do you carry 2 liters of water when you do your LRs?  That's a LOT of water.  I don't think I drink more than 25-30 oz of water during my entire run, even on my 20-milers, but then, I probably don't drink enough water.  Still, you're right that tomorrow is going to be hot and humid, even early when I am running, and I am not acclimated yet, so I will take your warning and pay special attention to hydrating.  Luckily there are water fountains about every 2-3 miles on the river trail. 

I've loaded the last 3 discs of the 20-disc audio book I've been listening to (The Host) onto my MP3 player for tomorrow's run.  I can hardly wait to see (hear) how it ends!

ETA - great racing, Henry and Marj!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

I'm going to cross post this one today. I try not to do that often, but short on time today.

GREAT and I mean GREAT run for Laura and I today. Despite the forecast of very cold temps, rain and maybe a bit of snow mix, it ended up being IRC today. Oh, it was cold, but still able to wear my shorts, with a long sleeve shirt and a short sleeve one over it, and my running gloves. No rain really - a few little spittles once in awhile, but that's it.

Can I bore you all with splits? I'm just so pleased with this:
              3:15:47, average pace: 9.47, AHR: 154 (about 10 bpm lower than the norm for me)

honestly, this run felt great and I think my lower than normal AHR showed me that I wasn't pushing myself too hard. In fact, Laura and I talked almost the whole time and I wasn't winded.

For hydration, I started out with a bottle of HEED, which is what they are serving on the course. I had a yogurt and half a Clif Bar this a.m. for breakfast. I had 3 gel blasts before we headed out. We got back to our vehicles (Laura's office) at mile 14, I filled up my bottle with water, had 2 Gu chomps and 5 hot tamales and headed out for our final 6.

and at the end of this run, I honestly felt like "ok, if I had to do another hours worth of running, that's so do-able with how I'm feeling right now." .

I have really loved this training round. Now I just hope the good training will pay off on race day.

Tammy

EGH, good luck to your mother in law.  sue, sorry to hear the doctor wasn't much help.  I hope the PT helps.  vista, sorry to hear about the foot problems.  I hope it's minor and goes away quickly.  CNY, nice 5K with your son and Dr J and her twins.  holly, congrats to your daughter and her team in winning their last soccer match.  henrun, marj, and marj's daughter, nice racing.

Nice long runs for fatozzig, bike, Tammy, and jlynne.

This morning, I did a 5K race.  A high light was meeting up with Dave (as he reported) who did the race after 8 or 9 miles beforehand.  It took me 27:28 for a 9:51 pace.  I was happy with that.  They didn't separate runners and walkers in the results but I think I was 2/5 in my AG (60-69) and about 30/66 OA among the runners.  I did a mile warmup and 1.9 miles after the race to give me 6 miles for the day.  The temp was probably in the mid 60s and it was calm and humid.  The course was nice, along the river with a good portion on a wooden walkway and bridge on the river.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Dave59

It took me 27:28 for a 9:51 pace. 

TomS

Don't short change yourself.  That's an 8:51 pace.

Imminent Catastrophe

Scenic City Trail Marathon today in Chattanooga. This is close to an ideal trail Marathon, nice hilly course but almost all runnable. Shady and only got hot toward the end.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Mariposai

Awesome 20 miler for Laura and Tammy. These girls are so ready for their marathon. I was thinking of them as I worked the soil to plant my veg. seeds.

I woke up today with three of my "other sons", after fixing them a hefty breakfast I invited them to join me in the garden...to my surprise they did. We all worked together laughing,  choking and listening to cool teenage music. It was great day of work and laughter.

4 miles of walking up the hill. One week of no running and I am feeling great. Maybe I should try two weeks of no running 

Awesome racing Marj and  Henry. You guys are awesome.

Two months before my Portland, Mane trip. I better start working on the abs so I can look good wearing a two piece bathing suit.

Good to see PerfesserR around here Smile

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

A big ol' ^5 to Tammy and Laura for their long run today! That's wonderful, and the best part is how you felt at the end! I agree this has been an excellent training round for you and it's going to pay off big time at Newport. I can't wait to hear how you do!

Good job to Marj and Henry today on their race! Nice when they make an AG just for you! And playing with grandkids, you guys really did have a good day.

Hey Dave, good to shake things up a little bit and make the muscles work a bit. Good job on your 5k after a regular run. That was quite the warm up.

Just a little off on the pace there, TomS? Nice 5k for you today!

I had a run almost, but not quite, as bad as Tim's. Actually, the run was good but I wasn't prepared for how warm it got (one thermometer said 71, but I think 68 was more like it) and I was in direct sun all the time. Was thinking of Enke saying how she hates the sun. I like it, but I should've prepared better. I stopped for water at 5 miles, 10.4 miles, and 16.4 miles, but by the time of that last one I was getting desperate. Like thinking of water bottles, seeing them in my mind, thinking of the glass of water I'd left on the counter... Then I had to be careful not to over-do it and get sick. Bleh. Should've had some S-caps, too, but all I had was the one powergel I had at the 10 mile stop. Not enough. Cramping a bit and high heart rate near the end so I could tell I was dehydrated. I stopped running at 18.6 and started walking for home, had called DS1 to pick me up but he missed me somehow... I walked 1.4 miles so got my 20 miles on my feet! I'd lost almost 6 lbs on this run, way too much for me. Need to figure out how to stay hydrated on my runs I guess. Prior to this year, it was not an issue. Another joy of getting older, I guess.

Boys had their last soccer game tonight, and they had to win to advance to the state tournament. They lost 1-0 but played a really good game. My DS2 got a red card for bad-mouthing the ref , and our goalie got hurt half way thru the second half so we had a sub goalie, but we held them off for a good finish. Just not good enough. Oh well. 

Mariposai

a 20 miler on such a  hot day for Erika...why??? when is your next race?? butterfly hugs for you sister...

great day for you. Hot days are just very hard to know how to deal with them.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Dearest Mariposai... I appreciate your concern! Miss you so much! But I've got a couple of summer marathon options, and while none may pan out, I do want to be somewhat ready. You should understand, as you've done 20 milers on a whim and entered ultras at the last minute! But... my next "race" is a 10k on June 19. Unless it works out that I can get to Anchorage and run the Mayor's marathon earlier that morning! more like it though is the Humpy's marathon in August, which would be a good training run for the Equinox ultra in September.

I'm also trying to see if I can get a November meeting in Seattle rescheduled to allow the Seattle Marathon... and the Ghost of Seattle the day before. I've never done a "double" like that, and the schedule may not work out at all, but it's a remote possibility at this point.

Marathon Maniac #957

Scenic City Trail Marathon today in Chattanooga. This is close to an ideal trail Marathon, nice hilly course but almost all runnable. Shady and only got hot toward the end.

This may be the shortest race report we've seen here.......nice job, Perfesser!

Tammy - heckofa LR for you and Laura!

Nice racing for TomS and Dave, and always cool to meet up as well.

Erika - maybe some extra hydrating the day before?   Or driving ahead to stash water bottles?  But 68-71 is pretty warm, and this is early enough in the season that we are not used to it yet.  Maybe it was just hitting you harder this day.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Two months before my Portland, Mane trip. I better start working on the abs so I can look good wearing a two piece bathing suit.

When are you in Portland?    I am heading back to that area for a high school class reunion around that time.

Vista