Masters Running

Monday, April 6 Runs and Stuff (Read 465 times)

King of PhotoShop

Thanks, Ribs! That's cool your son looked at UT, also. DS has been awfully quiet since we returned - I think he's overwhelmed and exhausted at the same time. I have to keep emphasizing to him that it's OK if he DOESN'T pick this school. My dad is such a fanatical Longhorn that I have to keep the two of them separated (not too hard at such a long distance).
    Teresa, the school itself is a cement city of 50,000 or so, first or second I think to Michigan for hugeness. We are small town people, and I assume you are too. No question this would be overwhelming to him. Prime is a junior at DePauw now in Greencastle, IN and loves it, although when he first got there he called to complain there isn't a Starbucks in the whole town. Your son will make the right choice, but he needs lots of time and different views. On the other hand, if he ends up at UT and likes it, he sure won't be disappointed. It's a quality school. and of course your dad will go ape! Spareribs
    wildchild

Carolyn

Huge schools can be kind of intimidating to small-town kids. We felt that way on our visit to UC Berkeley last week. We felt much more comfortable at Cal Tech, which has a freshman class of less than 300 - roughly the same size as a high school. We also really liked Stanford, which is bigger but not huge - I think the freshman class is about 1650. Oh, yeah, I forgot to post my run: 5 miles after work on the paths around the golf course next to the office, 10:30 avg pace. Felt greta!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Teresa, the school itself is a cement city of 50,000 or so, first or second I think to Michigan for hugeness. We are small town people, and I assume you are too. No question this would be overwhelming to him. Prime is a junior at DePauw now in Greencastle, IN and loves it, although when he first got there he called to complain there isn't a Starbucks in the whole town. Your son will make the right choice, but he needs lots of time and different views. On the other hand, if he ends up at UT and likes it, he sure won't be disappointed. It's a quality school. and of course your dad will go ape! Spareribs
        Oh yeah Ribs, I forgot your son was in College at DePauw...it's only about 60 minutes from where I live. And I know for sure it's truly a great school. Do you ever come here to visit him....if so, we could meet up for a visit or run sometime if you would like. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Tramps

am I too late?? Tramps... offering you abundant sympathy for your discomfort.
          Big grin

Be safe. Be kind.