Masters Running

Monday July 12 Runs and Not-So-Runs (Read 468 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

And now for more controversy and discussion of "recovery runs" I offer you this:

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/A_fresh_perspective_on_recovery_runs.htm?cmp=11-1595&utm_source=sendible&utm_medium=feed

I thought this was fascinating:

In this study, subjects exercised one leg once daily and the other leg twice every other day. The total amount of training was equal for both legs, but the leg that was trained twice every other day was forced to train in a pre-fatigued state in the afternoon (recovery) workouts, which occurred just hours after the morning workouts.

After several weeks of training in this split manner, the subjects engaged in an endurance test with both legs. The researchers found that the leg trained twice every other day increased its endurance 90 percent more than the other leg.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Today is a rest day for me.

I love these kind of discussions thanks for starting this one Ribs.

I am in my base building phase so all my runs are easy except my long runs .Now that I am up to 10 miles I concider these more of a stress day even though they are run at a slow pace. I am currently running 5 days a week but will be shifting to 6 days now that my milage on my long and medium long days is getting up there. Monday will be my 6th day (the day after my long run) and I always run that at a recovery pace. I was under the impression that was to help circulate blood flow and quicken leg fatigue symptoms. Sounds like, from this article, its not really a recovery but a muscle stress day. I am not sure I totally agree with that as I find a slow day helps get the KINKS out and seems to speed  my recovery or at least mask the soreness.

That being said last year I did go for a stretch running 7 days (thanks again Ribs for free advice) but found that at my age and comittment level to the sport that at least one whole day a week off gives me the mental ability to still look forward to  the rest of my runs. Since  I am never going to the Olympics or even placeing 1st in my age group anytime soon the extra work really has no pay off. I feel I advance as fast and as far on 6 as I do on 7 days.

I am sure that for some of you more talented and commited people this could make that little difference that could mean a whole lot come race day. To me (the average guy in the middle of the pack )my concerns are more about no injuries and just getting to the starting line and those PRs are easier for us anyway because we started out so slow to begin with.

Erika,

Slow  Down! You said it yourself so you do know why. I have run that same Higdon type schedule and those back to back ML and Long days will make you stronger and faster (i Believe)  on their own but you need to run them slow enough to complete them. Kinda like the discussion above you are pre fatiguing the muscles before t instead of after. Of course who am I to give you advice but I think you are just looking for verification of what you alreadty know.anyway You are so talented and such a tough trainer and competitor that come race day my money is on you no matter what.

Geeesh kinda long winded today,

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

TammyinGP

Hi Everyone. I've been gone for most of the last two weeks but am back to work, a routine, and I guess I need to get back to running also.

I just happened to pull up the daily from the 9th and skimmed through it and noticed a question that Jlynne asked about ART helping with PF. I don't have the time to read all the posts/dailies since then, so you may have received some answers but wanted to throw in my experience also. 

My sports chiro does a treatment that is very much like ART (I think he actually called it 'stripping' - but it's the same basic treatment method as ART) and when I started feeling the beginnings of PF in my right heel, I gave it some rest, did all the normal stretching they recommend for PF, but each time I ran, it was still persistent. That probably went on for about 2 mos before I went in to see him.  He did his "art-like" therapy and it worked for me. That was about 2 yrs ago and I've never had a problem with PF since - and I walk around barefoot or in flip flops often during the summer - which hurt like mad the summer I was having issues (this was actually going on during the Ragnar relay I did in summer 2008, as I recall my feet hurting quite a bit after each run).

Tammy

lamerunner

Good afternoon!  Holly, how do we run on one leg? :    I took a running rest day today and swam about 3/4 mile. I often swim a bit longer but the schedule is cramped in summer; lap swim hours are shorter due to sports camps.

I am not sure the answer on recovery runs; sometimes I rest after a long run ( or more likley, swim rather than complete rest), sometimes I do a shorter than normal recovery  run and rest the second day; sometimes I do whatever seems to work best logistically.  Complete rest can be very helpful on occasion though I don't like to do it.

This past weekend I was at a conference near a good running trail; I ran  14 miles plus a bkie ride on Friday in horrendous humidity then a "recovery" 4 miler the next day. yesterday I considered a rest day but I had time to run and I knew I had to drop off Ds at a day camp this morning, so I slogged through 10 in more humidity yesterday and swam today.

I am jealous of those who can physically handle long streaks of running; I cannot these days.

Great photos Wildchild! Scotland is on my list for hiking some day...

Hi kids

Life's been a bit hectic and intense of late and I've let posting regularly slip some. Still running though and the streak continues.....5 miles this morning at 6:00 am before a day of meetings in Rhode Island.

For me it's a matter of definition and I suppose therein lies the debate. A recovery run for me is one that doesn't include a specific pace workout and is run without a watch, conscious focus on form and relaxing my stride. The length of my recovery runs might be 2 miles, 4 miles or more---usually not more than 8. I am recovering from a race or a hard workout when I run at recovery pace.  It's been interesting to run every day and I have been setting Masters PRs in every distance from the marathon to the mile since the streak started. I was running ever day as part of a 365 day fundraising challenge. An area donor pledged $1,000 per mile for 4 runners (including me). I am committed to the recipient charity and I have a pretty big capacity for high mileage. I just kept on going once I hit 365, since it felt good. 

No studies or science linked into the streak---it was philanthropy based and turned into a habit. Who knows how long I'll continue? I have been running and racing since I was 12 years-old and while my body was more elastic in my youth, I am smarter about when to slow it down and feel much stronger at almost 46 than I did in my 30s. Recovery, days off, junk miles...the debate is fascinating. I raced back to back 10ks last month and ran the Sunday 10k faster than the Saturday 10k in worse conditions on a hillier course. No recovery!

Could I run even faster with some off days? Maybe, but I feel great and this morning's 5 miler was easy, fun and I felt more recovered from this weekend's long miles by the time I got back home.  My .02 FWIW

Aamos and other Red Sox fans....this link is for you! My nephew Charlie at "Futures at Fenway" this weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHsJxjteLOg

Mustard is my nephew's self selected nickname/super power name....oh to be 5 and at Fenway for the first time!

Thoughts to SLO.

5 easy this morning, and 4 easy hot miles this afternoon.

Walt

[[[[[[[[[lamerunner]]]]]]]]]]] manly hug.......

..........just enjoy

the hell out of the runs you get..........

=========

.....poolrun tonite.....if the storms can hold off.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

Just thought I'd say hi.  I still have to keep all weight off my foot so not much to report.  One thing that is sort of hard, but not too bad, is that no one does stuff like I do it.

- Dishes are still dirty.  I do them right after dinner.

- The cats aren't fed.  I do that after dinner too.

- No one has got the mail from the mailbox.

- We need basics from the store but people keep saying they'll "go later."  Are they going to wait until we are down to our final sheet of toilet paper?

But somehow the world goes on.

I need to line-up a yard service to cut the grass for a while. 

The foot is healing up nicely.  I hope to get a very positive report during Thursday's follow-up visit.  At least it wasn't some type of surgery that'll take rehab. 

evanflein

Hang in there, Dave. I hate watching other people do (or not do) things "wrong" too. My DH always tells me if I want the kids to be self-sufficient contributors to the household and society, I need to back off and let them do stuff their way. Then he bitches at me that the dishes aren't clean. Drives me nuts.