Masters Running

Training week ending October 28-29, 2023 (Read 7 times)

Alexander R

Greetings, runners! Please tell us about your past training week and upcoming goals.

Alexander R

Mon 9.6mi (1:45)
      Tue 10.1mi (1:44)
      Wed 8.4mi (1:46)
      Thu 8.1mi (1:36)
      Fri 9.2mi (1:55)
      Sat 9.2mi (1:23) 81 degrees and sunshine
      Sun 7mi (0:57) treadmill, +1mi cool down

Total: 62.7 miles

slowly coming back to life, after two weeks of downtime due to 100K recovery combined with covid.

Saturday weather was pretty crazy, I was hoping to do maybe a long run or a tempo, or something,

but struggled with every single mile

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Alexander - How's the HR coming during your runs?  I've heard that can be one of the harder things to recover after Covid.  I hope you're doing better but it sounds like you're still working on it.

Paul - Nice running, including the 400's on Tuesday.  Your week was not very dissimilar from a week in the Hansons program.

Tammy - Good recovery week after the 50k.  Nice that you take shelter dogs out for a run.

To the best of my knowledge, I have not had Covid.  I've been mostly working from home since March of 2020 and started 1 day/week in the office about 15 months ago.

I got my final workouts done and shifted to taper mode this past week.  51.2 miles for the week.  I've picked out my shorts and shoes for the race, but shirt choice is waiting for a better look at the weather.  The latest indication is the temp will be in a rather narrow range of 57º - 62º, which is too warm for my taste, but it's a lot better than what people had to run in last year.  At least there won't be a problem staying warm in the runners' village before the race.  Just easy runs of 5 miles or less this week until the race on Sunday.

Hoping I'm not being too presumptuous, but in case anyone wants to look up my results before the next week's update, my bib number is 24930.  I'll be at the back of the second wave, so probably not hitting the start line until 9:50 - 10:00 (standard time, since we set the clocks back the night before).

Date Workout Type Distance Duration Pace Temp
        10/23/2023   Easy   6.3 mi 1:08:05 10:49  52
        10/24/2023  6 x 1 mile / 800m  Interval  11.6 mi 1:53:17   9:46  40
        10/26/2023 10 at marathon pace  Pace 13.0 mi 2:04:21   9:34  52
        10/27/2023   Easy   6.1 mi 1:10:03 11:30  57
        10/28/2023   Easy   8.1 mi 1:32:01 11:22  62
        10/29/2023   Easy   6.1 mi 1:04:57 10:39  56
        5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
        10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

TammyinGP

That's a pretty amazing comeback to running after covid Alexander. Nice work! I was wondering how your HR has been also as that seems to be the thing that affects people the longest. 

Hope all goes well at NYC for you Fred! Your training has sure been great so I predict a great finish for you. Thanks for sharing your bib number. I know a few people running it so will be checking in.

Last week:

Mon: 6.2

Wed: 5.5

Thurs: 6.6

Fri: 5

Sun: 10 trail miles

total: 33.3

This week will likely be similar. I may run a trail race this Saturday but just waiting on weather conditions to be more accurate. Seems to change a bit each day. Rain is looking likely and the race is at Mt. Ashland, so mountainous rain can really turn ugly quick and not so sure I want to drive an hour, pay $$, and run in craptastic weather.

Tammy

pfriese

Alexander, between Covid & a 100K race, I think you're doing great!

Paul - Nice running, including the 400's on Tuesday.  Your week was not very dissimilar from a week in the Hansons program.

Thanks Fred. I'll be starting Hansons again in December. I wanted to make sure that I was ready to roll. Thanks for the bib info, I'll be following you and a couple of more friends at NYC.

I had a good week of running topped off by a nice 15K race.

M - 6.5 miles (10:01/mile)

T - 10 miles (9:52/mile)

W - 6.4 miles (10:44/mile)

Th - 7.5 miles (10:19/mile)

F - rest day

Sa - 1.5 mile pre-race warm up (12:30/mile). 15K race 1:18:30 (8:27/mile)

Su - 4 miles treadmill (12:20/mile)

Total - 45.3 miles

This week will be mainly on the treadmill with our 1st cold snap moving in.

Paul

Quickadder

Greetings, runners! Please tell us about your past training week and upcoming goals.

Hope you don't mind my jumping in.

My running got somewhat sidetracked by the pandemic and I've continued to isolate as much as possible as my DW has a number of medical issues that make CoVid (also flu, colds, etc.) high risk for her. In order to be able to run at all with her blessing I bought a TM earlier this year and have been running regularly on it ever since. I currently have a streak of 106 days running 2+ miles per day (and at better than a 10:00 pace).

Upcoming goal is to progress as far as possible in the RA mileage game playoffs. To that end, last week was my highest weekly mileage for the last 3 years.

Monday - 4.0 miles 9:42 pace

Tuesday - 5.5 miles 9:41 pace

Wednesday - 5.0 miles 9:42 pace

Thursday - 5.6 miles 9:41 pace

Friday - 3.2 miles 9:42 pace

Saturday - 7.0 miles 9:40 pace

Sunday - 5.8 miles 9:42 pace

Total 36.1 miles

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Upcoming race: Contraband 5 miler 5/4/24 

TammyinGP

Hi Quickadder!  great to have you over in this thread!!

Tammy

Alexander R

Alexander - How's the HR coming during your runs?  I've heard that can be one of the harder things to recover after Covid.  I hope you're doing better but it sounds like you're still working on it.

Fred, yes, that is exactly the problem. All my running is by HR now, definitely struggling to get it where it should be. Even though you were tapering, this is still a very strong week, with an 11 miler, a 13 miler and the 50+ total. Just further confirms the benefits of consistent training. Are you going to write a race report?

Tammy, yes, I am monitoring the HR constantly and just slowing down at any sign of trouble. Had to do it a few times. Great week! 5 days of running, a trail 10 miler and a 33 mile total, very nice!

Paul, thanks! Really nice week and congratulations on the 15K, very well done!

Quickadder, great to see you joining the thread! Impressive running streak! Owning a treadmill should definitely help to keep it. I like treadmill, but I don't have one at home, I go to a local YMCA, it's really close. Great mileage  for the week and a strong pace as well!